Author Topic: Philly to Set Massive Precedent and Stop Arresting People for Drug Possession—of ALL DRUGS  (Read 1704 times)

rangerrebew

Philly to Set Massive Precedent and Stop Arresting People for Drug Possession—of ALL DRUGS
Matt Agorist May 11, 2019 1.7k Views

Philadelphia, PA — Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner told the media this week that his office is “very close” to the prospect of refusing to kidnap and cage people for possessing drugs. This would make Philadelphia a leader in the nation and the first nail in the coffin that is the violent and immoral war on drugs.

Krasner told “Axios on HBO” that instead of kidnapping and caging people for possessing substances deemed illegal by the state—which has shown to be a horrifyingly violent and corrupt failure—those resources will be spent helping the person get clean.

“Possession is different than dealing, it’s different than carrying a bunch of drugs you intend to sell or deliver later, it’s just possession. We are talking about people who are using drugs, the vast majority of them suffering from addiction. I do not see value in convicting people like that, thereby making it harder for them to get a job,” said Krasner. “It seems to me to make a lot more sense to hold them accountable in ways that do not require a conviction. We are very close.”

https://freedomoutpost.com/philly-to-set-massive-precedent-and-stop-arresting-people-for-drug-possession-of-all-drugs/

Offline Applewood

Ii guess this will be done everywhere eventually.  For example, on the other side of the state, Pittsburgh's mayor has already come out in favor of legalizing marijuana.  I'm sure he will eventually want to legitimize all other drugs too and before long, sale and distribution of narcotics will be legal as well.

The War on Drugs has been a dismal failure.  Looks like our elected officials are gradually acknowledging this and are just going to let everyone become dopeheads.  It's to their advantage to do so, I guess.  A drugged population will be easier to control.

Offline verga

And if ever, by some unlucky chance, anything unpleasant should somehow happen, why, there’s always soma to give you a holiday from the facts. And there’s always soma to calm your anger, to reconcile you to your enemies, to make you patient and long-suffering. In the past you could only accomplish these things by making a great effort and after years of hard moral training. Now, you swallow two or three half-gramme tablets, and there you are. Anybody can be virtuous now. You can carry at least half your morality about in a bottle. Christianity without tears—that’s what soma is.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Going into the longer day, Summer months...what the over and under on 'How long will it take for Philly to mirror San Francisco and Seattle'??

Saw a video just yesterday where somebody was shooting heroin right in front of City Hall in broad daylight, covering himself in his leather bomber jacket.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Going into the longer day, Summer months...what the over and under on 'How long will it take for Philly to mirror San Francisco and Seattle'??

Saw a video just yesterday where somebody was shooting heroin right in front of City Hall in broad daylight, covering himself in his leather bomber jacket.

I'd be willing to bet that inside of 10 years every deep blue city from coast to coast will mirror San Francisco.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline dfwgator

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I'd be willing to bet that inside of 10 years every deep blue city from coast to coast will mirror San Francisco.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

Ii guess this will be done everywhere eventually.  For example, on the other side of the state, Pittsburgh's mayor has already come out in favor of legalizing marijuana.  I'm sure he will eventually want to legitimize all other drugs too and before long, sale and distribution of narcotics will be legal as well.

The War on Drugs has been a dismal failure.  Looks like our elected officials are gradually acknowledging this and are just going to let everyone become dopeheads.  It's to their advantage to do so, I guess.  A drugged population will be easier to control.

There is a difference between legalizing and decriminalizing. After reading about Portugal's radical (?) drug policy that is working, I have a somewhat different perspective.  I agree that drugs should be decriminalized; not necessarily legalized.  In other words, if you are caught with marijuana, an opioid, or other illegal substance, you wouldn't necessarily be prosecuted but rather be mandated to go into a rehabilitation center where you would have doctors and social workers who would help you get off the drug(s) and get back into society where you would become a productive citizen.  If the offender didn't want to comply, then they could always opt for a jail sentence.  Most I feel would choose the rehabilitation program offered. This is being done in Portugal and it is working!

I believe there should still be prosecution for trafficking in drugs.

Take a look at our system; you get caught using drugs and you are incarcerated into a system that is full of drugs with little rehabilitation provided.  Once your sentence is completed often that person is released with no skill set to make a living, often still addicted and they wind up back to selling drugs in order to survive ... consider that some of these people have/had an addiction to legal prescriptions at one time and this is a tragedy.  Opioid addiction and deaths are on the rise and in some states have become and epidemic. 

Yes the war on drugs has been a failure because we keep treating drug abuse in the same way and expect different results.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/05/portugals-radical-drugs-policy-is-working-why-hasnt-the-world-copied-it
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Well I guess I'll cross Philadelphia off my list of places to visit in America, after all I have already seen copies of Independence Hall and the liberty bell over fifty years ago at Knotts Berry Farm. :pondering:

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Well I guess I'll cross Philadelphia off my list of places to visit in America, after all I have already seen copies of Independence Hall and the liberty bell over fifty years ago at Knotts Berry Farm. :pondering:

Glad that I visited it decades ago, before it turned into a hell hole.

Offline libertybele

All for this as long was those possessing drugs are mandated into a long term rehabilitation program.  This has proven to be more successful than locking one up in a prison full of drugs and then putting them right back on the streets after the sentence is completed.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Glad that I visited it decades ago, before it turned into a hell hole.

Me too.  I stopped in as a side trip while seeing Valley Forge back in 79.  I thought at the time it was not a place I would ever want to live in.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Hmmmm.  I wonder how this will turn out?   :pondering:

Offline goatprairie

Sure, let's promote drug use...especially in the inner city. Drugs have been a plague in black communites nationwide. The so-called "harmless" marijuana has caused numerous black males to tip over the edge into insanity and violence.
So, yes, let's stop this war on drugs and promote more drug use.  :whistle:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner told the media this week that his office is “very close” to the prospect of refusing to kidnap and cage people for possessing drugs."

Perhaps Mr. Krasner ought to take an exploratory trip to Seattle.
2019: "Seattle is dying"
2023: "Philadelphia is dying, too". (even moreso than it might be already)

Addendum:
How long before they stop arresting people for assault?
For rape?
And then... for homicide?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:24:04 pm by Fishrrman »

Online Wingnut

Badly?...  Oh wait that was a rhetorical question.  My bad for the badly...

Offline goatprairie

I don't agree with jailing people for drug possession, but the facts are in: most studies of the effects of marijuana state that it causes major damage to heavy users. Strong pot use causes many people to go schizo or crazy. Especially young people. And heavy pot use causes many to get into opioids.
Many violent people have been found to have been high on "harmless" pot at the time they were harming/killing people. Marijuana today is far stronger than the pot of fifty years ago.
The people who argue for legalization point to alcohol as being more destructive, so why punish people for drugs other than alchohol? They have a good point.
The question for me is: will legalizing pot and other similar kinds of drugs make the country better or worse. In my mind it makes it worse...far worse.
 People should read Alex Berenson's "Tell Your Children." Berenson is a liberal reporter who used to be a pot proponent. He's changed his mind over the years after witnessing countless lives destroyed by pot and talking to people who've done and/or seen  the same. And he has scientists on his side too. Read the book and make up your own mind.

Offline dfwgator

Sure, let's promote drug use...especially in the inner city. Drugs have been a plague in black communites nationwide. The so-called "harmless" marijuana has caused numerous black males to tip over the edge into insanity and violence.
So, yes, let's stop this war on drugs and promote more drug use.  :whistle:

This isn't a "War on Drugs".   Now Singapore?   THAT'S a War on Drugs.

Online Fishrrman

dfw wrote:
"This isn't a "War on Drugs".   Now Singapore?   THAT'S a War on Drugs."

Good call.
I'd prefer to see "the Singapore solution" implemented here.
If anything, a more severe example of same.
(for the record, I've never smoked anything, drank alcohol (yes, I've tasted it), or used illegal drugs).

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
This clever plan should work out well for them. After all,if there is one thing junkies HATE it is being arrested and taken away from their drugs.

Gee,I wonder if the get-toes in NYC,Boston,DC,Maryland,NJ,etc,etc,etc will lose any residents to Philly over this?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline aligncare

This message is brought to you by the Greater Philadelphia Downtown Merchants Association:
For a fabulous family-fun vacation visit historic Philly—Just watch where you step.           
                                                                                                                 :drunk:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@goatprairie

A TOTAL crock of Bush. There is not one single person in the known universe that has gone to insanity and violence due to smoking pot. The fact that you would even make such an absurd claim proves  you know nothing about it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I don't agree with jailing people for drug possession, but the facts are in: most studies of the effects of marijuana state that it causes major damage to heavy users. Strong pot use causes many people to go schizo or crazy. Especially young people. 

@goatprarie

Who is your authority,Jerry Falwell?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
dfw wrote:
"This isn't a "War on Drugs".   Now Singapore?   THAT'S a War on Drugs."

Good call.
I'd prefer to see "the Singapore solution" implemented here.
If anything, a more severe example of same.
(for the record, I've never smoked anything, drank alcohol (yes, I've tasted it), or used illegal drugs).

@Fishrrman

Gee,I would have never guessed.

That's what makes you an authority on it though,huh?

Online Fishrrman

Pete mused:
"That's what makes you an authority on it though,huh?"

Yup. As much as anyone else.

Back in 1972, I was traveling with a group through Munchen (on the way back from a 7-day organized tour of Rome with other soldiers). We stopped at the Hofbrau House -- one of the most famous beer halls of all.

Pizza was ordered, along with mugs of beer for everyone.
Except me.
My request: "Ein Cola, bitte..."