Author Topic: Romney votes against Trump pick over comments attacking Obama  (Read 2975 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: Romney votes against Trump pick over comments attacking Obama
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 12:48:25 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

Like McCain, he’s trying to earn brownie points with the media. And in the short term they will probably clap for him.  But if he were to ever run for president again,  they would go back to giving him the 2012 treatment

It seems like a very trivial reason to vote no on. I would understand it more if the judge said something negative about Romney in 2012. But why does Romney feel it’s his duty to avenge Obama?

Well, I suspect he also felt it was his duty not to defeat Obama. He's one effed up dude. :smokin:

@LMAO

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 12:54:34 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

But why does Romney feel it’s his duty to avenge Obama?

@LMAO

Because a bag of gold appeared on his doorstep?

There is BIG money to be made by Republicans willing to trash Republicans these days.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 12:55:32 pm »
Just out of curiousity - what would your view be of a prospective judge who had called President Trump an "un-American imposter" or something similar?    Would you still be of the view that someone so nakedly partisan makes for a qualified judge? 

I'm trying to see if the opinions expressed on this thread about Mitt and his concern about the temperament and objectivity of this nominee are simple partisanship, or if there is truly no objection to judicial candidates who question the patriotism of the POTUS. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 01:05:46 pm »
Just out of curiousity - what would your view be of a prospective judge who had called President Trump an "un-American imposter" or something similar?    Would you still be of the view that someone so nakedly partisan makes for a qualified judge? 

I'm trying to see if the opinions expressed on this thread about Mitt and his concern about the temperament and objectivity of this nominee are simple partisanship, or if there is truly no objection to judicial candidates who question the patriotism of the POTUS.

@Jazzhead

Doesn't apply to Mittens. He leans left but runs to the right because he is a political opportunist/whore who will be whatever you want him to be if you have the cash. He runs as a Republican because that is what he has to do to win an election and get financial backing where he lives. That is the only reason. That aside,he is a globalist POS.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 01:21:30 pm »
@Jazzhead

At the time he made that statement, he wasn't a judge at any level.  He was a private sector attorney who was running for political office, so I personally have no issue with that.

Offline Mod5

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2019, 01:27:16 pm »
Topics merged.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 01:29:07 pm »
Most politicians are whores for money. It is a psychosis. It is a pathology.
They do not think or live as we do. It is a sickness.

Give any of them 30 pieces of silver, and they would kill their own mother.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2019, 01:29:58 pm »
@Jazzhead

At the time he made that statement, he wasn't a judge at any level.  He was a private sector attorney who was running for political office, so I personally have no issue with that.

So naked partisanship is helpful to a prospective judge's resume?   I'm just saying that a time will come when the Dems will be appointing the judges,  and their will be plenty of candidates they will promote who were part of the "resistance" to Trump as an lying imposter who stole an election.   No issue with any of that?   

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2019, 02:20:52 pm »

Obama had a non-American father and had a questionable birth history that was never cleared up that gave credence to a possible disqualification as per the Constitution.  And his trashing of the US on the world stage is a known fact.

That is the un-American part.

None of that applies to Trump as you are trying to.

As far as an imposter, that can be interpreted in many ways.  Who knows?  He was an imposter as an African American who underwent the treatment of most Americans of that ethnicity, wasn't he?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2019, 02:25:50 pm »
This guy really is lost.  Someone call Joseph Smith.

@The Ghost

Hey bud!  I don't like Mitt Romney one bit better than you do. Probably less than you do, but I DO belong to the same Church he does so give the snide comments about things you know nothing about a rest!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2019, 02:28:55 pm »
Why does not Mitt take on Adam Schiff?  Schiff is a proven liar of a sitting President too?

Adam Schiff has Lied Repeatedly about Trump–“He’s in on the Scam”
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,361787.0.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2019, 02:33:19 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

Like McCain, he’s trying to earn brownie points with the media. And in the short term they will probably clap for him.  But if he were to ever run for president again,  they would go back to giving him the 2012 treatment

It seems like a very trivial reason to vote no on. I would understand it more if the judge said something negative about Romney in 2012. But why does Romney feel it’s his duty to avenge Obama?

Mitt had one job in 2012, block a conservative from getting the nomination: Mission Accomplished.    He threw the General.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2019, 02:34:26 pm »
Mittens disgusts me. With how bad the economy was in 2012, I thought he'd win, but he rolled over like a wuss for Zero. You don't play nice with evil.
Principles matter. Words matter.

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2019, 02:47:10 pm »
So naked partisanship is helpful to a prospective judge's resume?   I'm just saying that a time will come when the Dems will be appointing the judges,  and their will be plenty of candidates they will promote who were part of the "resistance" to Trump as an lying imposter who stole an election.   No issue with any of that?
Would you call this an 'American' or 'un-American' activity?  This was done by a sitting US President, not just a campaigner.

Bombshell: Media Blackout As DOJ Announces Obama Accepted At Least $21.6 Million In Foreign Donation
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,361780.0.html

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2019, 05:01:33 pm »

Bilo.....
Truncale raised eyebrows in 2011 when he called Obama an “un-American imposter.”

My kind of judge. I couldn't agree with you more.

I agree.  My kind of judge.

And I think Mittens will be worse than McCain.  Romney did not run for Senate for any other reason than to run again for president.  He lived in Mass, and moves to Utah where he knows his fellow mormons will vote for him.  He is back in the action, and plotting to be president, in 2020, or perhaps in 2024.  He is not doing what he is doing for any other reason.

My fear is that those involved in the coup to remove Trump are planning a bloody coup next, JFK style.  Romney may be in the know and he is positioning himself to step in quickly.

Trump's safety I believe is at a higher state of risk than any president before.  There are too many of these intelligence *ssholes that do not want him around.  That Brennan is still mouthing off. 

I am serious.  Barr/Durham better get their investigation done quickly.  These conspirators will not waste time.  These swamp dwellers are well financed.

Online rustynail

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2019, 05:16:41 pm »
Are Mormons armed?

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2019, 05:30:20 pm »
So naked partisanship is helpful to a prospective judge's resume?

Where on earth did you get that from?  No, naked partisanship is not "helpful to a prospective judge's resume", and I said nothing of the sort.  What I said was that I don't care if someone makes that comment while running for office, and is later nominated for a judgeship.  That doesn't mean that all types of naked partisanship should be viewed the same, and it certainly doesn't mean that it is "helpful" for a nomination.  That's just...cheap, ridiculous rhetoric.

I'm just saying that a time will come when the Dems will be appointing the judges,  and their will be plenty of candidates they will promote who were part of the "resistance" to Trump as an lying imposter who stole an election.   No issue with any of that?

First, they've already got a Supreme Court justice who fits that description to a T, and she's a hero to them precisely because she's part of the "Resistance".  So if you think that us refraining from nominating anyone who has demonstrated political partisanship is going to be reciprocated, give it up.

Second, the problem with the "Resistance" isn't that it is partisan.  There's nothing improper, immoral, or disqualifying about a private citizen being partisan because we have a political system, organized by party, in which private citizens are expected to participate.  And sometimes hold strong opinions.  The problem with the "Resistance" is that they refuse to accept the results of a lawful election, and are willing to twist the law and pervert the judicial system to remove that President by any means necessary.  And to the extent anyone endorses that, I think it should disqualify them from being a judge.

But Truncale didn't do that.  Nothing in his comments signified he didn't accept the results of Obama's election, or that he supported twisting/perverting the justice system in an attempt to remove him.  He just thought that Obama is a putz who holds some anti-American opinions.  That shouldn't be disqualifying, and wasn't to every single other Republicans who voted for his confirmation.

Except for Mitt, who decided that virtue-signalling was more important than confirming a highly qualified judicial nominee.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2019, 05:36:27 pm »
Second, the problem with the "Resistance" isn't that it is partisan.  There's nothing improper, immoral, or disqualifying about a private citizen being partisan because we have a political system, organized by party, in which private citizens are expected to participate.  And sometimes hold strong opinions.  The problem with the "Resistance" is that they refuse to accept the results of a lawful election, and are willing to twist the law and pervert the judicial system to remove that President by any means necessary.  And to the extent anyone endorses that, I think it should disqualify them from being a judge.

But Truncale didn't do that.  Nothing in his comments signified he didn't accept the results of Obama's election, or that he supported twisting/perverting the justice system in an attempt to remove him.  He just thought that Obama is a putz who holds some anti-American opinions.  That shouldn't be disqualifying, and wasn't to every single other Republicans who voted for his confirmation.

Except for Mitt, who decided that virtue-signalling was more important than confirming a highly qualified judicial nominee.

I like that explanation, @Maj. Bill Martin .   I agree, although I accept Mitt's rationale as genuine rather than mere "virtue-signaling".      And I am quite sure that the next Dem President will nominate "resistance" Dems to the bench, and not one Dem.  Senator will raise the slightest objection.   

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2019, 06:22:58 pm »
By the way, this thread makes me hope even more that Mitt decides to run in the primary against Trump.  It would be wonderful for him to find out how popular he truly is.

And that's coming from someone who voted for him in both the primary and general election in 2012.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2019, 06:49:18 pm »
By the way, this thread makes me hope even more that Mitt decides to run in the primary against Trump.  It would be wonderful for him to find out how popular he truly is.

And that's coming from someone who voted for him in both the primary and general election in 2012.

Be careful what you wish for.   A lot of Republicans are looking for an alternative that will advance traditional GOP priorities and sustain the current economic boom without providing the Dems with the gift of Trump as the GOP nominee.

Remember - there's no one who wants to see Trump as the nominee more than the Democrats.  Running against his chaos is all they've got.   
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:50:10 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2019, 07:40:28 pm »
While I would love to see someone run against Trump with the intent and ability to affect the changes he wanted that he failed to execute, the fact regarding Mittens is that Trump would steamroll him, and do it quickly.  He would not do as well as Cruz.

Cruz is perceived as a genuine conservative, whereas Mittens on his best day is a liberal RINO, and Trump bested Cruz.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2019, 09:42:04 pm »
Be careful what you wish for.   A lot of Republicans are looking for an alternative.... that will advance traditional GOP priorities and sustain the current economic boom without providing the Dems with the gift of Trump as the GOP nominee.

Define "a lot". 

From what I've seen, Trump consistently polls above 80% approval among Republicans.   So while I know there some more moderate Republicans who are turned off by the guy, the overwhelming percentage of GOP voters support him.

2020 GOP poll: Trump 64 percent, Romney 9 percent, Flake 1 percent, primary challenge unlikely

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/2020-gop-poll-trump-64-romney-9-flake-1-primary-challenge-unlikely

Remember - there's no one who wants to see Trump as the nominee more than the Democrats.  Running against his chaos is all they've got.

Maybe in a theoretical world in which Trump didn't exist, the Democrats might fear another GOP candidate more.  But Trump does exist, and the fight it would take to replace Trump as the nominee would cripple whomever it was who beat him.  You'd see unprecedented numbers of Republicans sit out the general election.  I think it would be more accurate to say that nobody wants to see an internal GOP war over Trump than do the Democrats.  And I'll add this -- Trump has proven he can win a general election without any support from NeverTrumpers.  I think it is much less likely that a NeverTrumper could win the general election without any support from Trump supporters.

With respect to Mitt in particular, his popularity completely tanked among Republicans when he came out against Trump in 2016, with 80% of Trump supporters rating him as "unfavorable."  We've seen the exact same thing with Republicans who have defined themselves as opponents of Trump.  Jeff Flake didn't even attempt to run for re-election,

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2016/03/29/mitt-romneys-popularity-among-republicans-has-plummeted
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 09:55:13 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2019, 09:49:36 pm »
Even people who don't particularly care for Trump, are just glad for once to have a guy, that at least appears to fight back.

I think, once re-elected, Trump will be more effective, because it would send a message to the Rats and the GOPe to cut the crap and start working with Trump.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2019, 10:01:02 pm »
Even people who don't particularly care for Trump, are just glad for once to have a guy, that at least appears to fight back.

Exactly right.  And any Republican who went at Trump sufficiently hard to justify abandoning the incumbent would inevitably end up arguing that Trump was too mean to Democrats, and that we need to be more respectful/civil.  And that's wouldn't play well with a lot of folks who've been spoiling for this kind of fight.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2019, 10:38:19 pm »

For crap sake no judge is a potted plant.  Democrats expect their judicial nominees to be bat shit anti-American, anti-Constitution and Republicans expect pro-American, constitutionalist judges. 

Mitt's just playing for the wrong team.