Author Topic: Trump should butt out of Independence Day celebrations  (Read 2328 times)

Offline skeeter

Re: Trump should butt out of Independence Day celebrations
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 07:35:01 pm »
A.  No, he hasn't.  From the beginning he's fought with anyone who disagrees with him.  He has even lashed out against his own party.  His twitter rants and his rock star appearances are all about whipping his fans into a frenzy and targeting anyone who doesn't bow down and worship him.  And while he panders to the faithful, his duties as president are neglected. 

B.  Are you sure the author is a leftist?  And by the way, there are many of us who are not leftists who don't want Trump making this celebration about himself -- and possibly at the taxpayers' expense. If he wants to throw his own party on his own dime -- fine.  But the taxpayers should not be footing a bill for what will amount to another of his rallies.

You dislike Trump, I get it.

Not all of us do, and do not perceive him the same way you do.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2019, 07:50:57 pm »
Neither this "author" or anybody posting on this topic knows for sure what the President is planning on doing July 4.  I think the author is wrong to assume Trump is planning a political rally on The Mall.
It would be crazy if he didn't IMO.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2019, 07:51:00 pm »
Don't need to see the ugly mug of ANY politician on Independence Day celebrations. 

President Reagan's Address to the Nation on Independence Day - 7/4/86

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:52:59 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2019, 07:54:32 pm »
President Reagan's Address to the Nation on Independence Day - 7/4/86

ANY means ANY.  (I am not a Reagan Worshiper either.)

Offline aligncare

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2019, 07:56:56 pm »
So now media pundits (the gold standard in impartial objectivity that they are) are able to divine and characterize Trump’s intentions 7 weeks into the future. And it’s all bad.

Damn. Seems that the media really is all powerful. Move over, God.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2019, 08:01:15 pm »
So now media pundits (the gold standard in impartial objectivity that they are) are able to divine and characterize Trump’s intentions 7 weeks into the future. And it’s all bad.

Damn. Seems that the media really is all powerful. Move over, God.

No one has to "divine" anything, it comes right from his own thumbs:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1099651121088466946

HOLD THE DATE! We will be having one of the biggest gatherings in the history of Washington, D.C., on July 4th. It will be called “A Salute To America” and will be held at the Lincoln Memorial. Major fireworks display, entertainment and an address by your favorite President, me!
4:43 AM - 24 Feb 2019

Trump highly involved in July 4 planning, hopes to deliver Lincoln Memorial address, report says

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2019/05/13/trumps-fourth-july-plans-include-presidential-address-report-says/1186852001/

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2019, 08:04:49 pm »
The author: Quin Hillyer

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2019, 08:25:05 pm »
ANY means ANY.  (I am not a Reagan Worshiper either.)

Well aren't you special?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2019, 08:27:14 pm »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1099651121088466946

HOLD THE DATE! We will be having one of the biggest gatherings in the history of Washington, D.C., on July 4th. It will be called “A Salute To America” and will be held at the Lincoln Memorial. Major fireworks display, entertainment and an address by your favorite President, me!
4:43 AM - 24 Feb 2019

Trump highly involved in July 4 planning, hopes to deliver Lincoln Memorial address, report says

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2019/05/13/trumps-fourth-july-plans-include-presidential-address-report-says/1186852001/

And your point is? That the president will celebrate Independence Day with gusto, like most true Americans will?

Whoa! Hold the presses!

Offline EdJames

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2019, 08:28:24 pm »
Well aren't you special?

If "special" means that I don't swoon like a high school girl at public servants, then I must be.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2019, 08:30:42 pm »
And your point is? That the president will celebrate Independence Day with gusto, like most true Americans will?

Whoa! Hold the presses!

The point is that not every American wants Trump invading the Independence Day celebration at the Capitol.  Can you not understand that this is not a nation of Trump Worshipers?

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2019, 08:32:21 pm »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1099651121088466946 [

And you still don't know what the President is going to talk about during his speech @EdJames   I expect it to be quite inspirational.

But you can stay down by the beer keg during the speech … we'll come fetch ya when  the President has finished.   :laugh:

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2019, 08:33:55 pm »
The point is that not every American wants Trump invading the Independence Day celebration at the Capitol.  Can you not understand that this is not a nation of Trump Worshipers?

Get over yourself, Ed.   :patriot:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2019, 08:35:55 pm »
While I understand the concern, I do believe the writer is injecting a lot of personal animus into his essay. Should Trump make a "major" speech? Maybe not. But his doing so doesn't necessary equate to him "making it all about himself".  Thats hyperbole.

It would be a terrific venue to tell America that at THAT moment, the 'Dirty Dozen' culprits are being rounded up at their family barbecues and then deliver a speech in the vein of "WE WILL NOT GO QUIETLY INTO THE NIGHT......"

He could even do it on the wing of an F18 wearing a leather jacket.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EdJames

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2019, 08:36:15 pm »
And you still don't know what the President is going to talk about during his speech @EdJames   I expect it to be quite inspirational.

But you can stay down by the beer keg during the speech … we'll come fetch ya when  the President has finished.   :laugh:

Yeah see that's the difference.  I am not looking for "inspiration" from any public servants.

If he ends up invading this event, I will stay outside and keep blowing off more fireworks.

Online corbe

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2019, 08:39:00 pm »
Get over yourself, Ed.   :patriot:

RiV Translation: Bend one knee and bow @EdJames

I do not trust this man to not interject himself or politics into our Nations birthday celebration!!!!!!!! 
   I know that makes me a hater or worse yet an obummer supporter, so be it.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2019, 08:43:38 pm »
Let us be reminded that the president is not above the law – nor is he below it. He gets to enjoy all the blessings of freedom that the ordinary citizen does on this Independence Day celebration to come. Even to gather and freely express his love of country, and as president of these United States, offer up to fellow citizens some words of pride and hope in these troubled times.

God bless the United States of America.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2019, 08:45:15 pm »
The author: Quin Hillyer
Quin Hillyer, demonstrates his fine political acumen:

"He served as an unpaid director in the state campaign for Pete Dupont’s 1988 GOP presidential bid."

Now he hands out advice to Trump, and TDS Brifers lap it up?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EdJames

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2019, 08:45:58 pm »

I do not trust this man to not interject himself or politics into our Nations birthday celebration!!!!!!!! 

I guess that is better than the two knee bow!

You nailed it there @corbe, the Independence Day celebration in the Nation's Capitol should be free of any politicians.  If Trump wants to hold a rally somewhere that day, his campaign can rent a stadium.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2019, 08:50:49 pm »
Let us be reminded that the president is not above the law – nor is he below it. He gets to enjoy all the blessings of freedom that the ordinary citizen does on this Independence Day celebration to come. Even to gather and freely express his love of country, and as president of these United States, offer up to fellow citizens some words of pride and hope in these troubled times.

God bless the United States of America.

I sometimes can't believe the things that I read here...  how many "ordinary citizens" will be ordering a second stage to be installed, moving the location of the fireworks, and making a public address on the Capitol grounds?

Online corbe

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2019, 08:52:28 pm »
   I liked the idea he floated a few weeks ago, Mt Rushmore.  Start a WH petition soon that his image should be up there and push it at his Ralley, Hell, he can even promise that the Canuks will pay for it for all I care.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2019, 08:53:25 pm »
Neither this "author" or anybody posting on this topic knows for sure what the President is planning on doing July 4.  I think the author is wrong to assume Trump is planning a political rally on The Mall.
yea, but it scares them to death
that he maybe will.

Even the idea of this makes them go into convulsions of HATE. This is exactly what their whole campaign was trying to censor.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2019, 08:55:22 pm »

Just what distinction are you making between the impact of an individual president on the politics of his day, and the birth of our constitutional republic, that designed our government and our unique American political life? I don’t see the conflict, do you?

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2019, 09:00:08 pm »
BTW. Trump should fire and replace his entire internal staff.
Whoever is leaking this stuff, fire them all.
It will always turn out to be the person you trusted the most
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:04:48 pm by 240B »

Online corbe

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2019, 09:06:23 pm »
   It might be my TDS @aligncare but I can't help but think had Trump been around during the founding of our Constitutional Republic he would have sided with the Federalist even so far as denying Madison his push for the Bill of Rights. 
   I have studied the Man (Trump) extensively, his life is practically an open book that some refuse to see or just disregard it all as mostly a publicity stunt. 

I have, in recent months, tempered by dislike for the man on Myst's TBR, today, apparently, not so much. 
   Have another  :beer:  I'll chill