Author Topic: German crossbow deaths police find more bodies  (Read 1045 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
German crossbow deaths police find more bodies
« on: May 13, 2019, 11:01:53 pm »

German crossbow deaths police find more bodies

The traditional German hotel is in a popular hiking location in Bavaria

German police probing the deaths of three people shot with crossbow arrows in a Bavarian hotel have found two more female bodies in a flat 400 miles away.

The flat in Wittingen had been occupied by a 30-year-old woman who was one of the victims found in the hotel room.

The other two in the hotel room were a man and woman found in bed, hand-in-hand, impaled with several arrows. It is a rural hotel on the edge of Passau.

There was no sign of a fight, nor of another participant, police said.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48257713

See, I didn't even post it yesterday, 3 bodies with crossbow arrows in their body but now, a bit more comes to light. Similar found 400 miles away with 2 victims?

Bild reports:

Bild is more pay to read... so I'll just leave that, "bild.de" web address and a bit racier than the Sun, but illustrative graphics.

Not sure if this got posted.

The story to me, sounds like a total mystery so far.

This article above says "arrows", some articles say "bolts", there may be a slight difference.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:30:22 pm by TomSea »

Offline rustynail

Re: German crossbow deaths police find more bodies
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 11:26:22 pm »
The answer is obvious.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 11:34:31 pm »
Differences between Archery Arrows and Crossbow Arrows

http://blog.thecrossbowstore.com/2013/07/09/differences-between-archery-arrows-and-crossbow-arrows/

There are many similarities among crossbows and archery bows but the arrows they shoot are very different.  Archery arrows are long while a crossbow arrows or bolts are relatively short. The main differences between an arrow and a bolt are its flight characteristics. An arrow’s fall depends on the lift gained in flight. Bolts fall at the same rate, not depending on the speed of their flight.

The crossbow’s bolts are usually shorter than the longbow’s arrows. Bolts, however, are usually heavier than its longbow counterparts. There is a specific weight for bolts to reach their best kinetic energy depending on the strength and other qualities of the crossbow. Most bolts could pass through certain armors and chain mails. Unlike a longbow arrow, bolts do not need fletching. There are different kinds of longbow heads, but the most common today is a quarrel, distinguished by its four sided points.

Many modern crossbows do not shoot bolts anymore; instead they use arrows like the conventional bow. Crossbow arrows may have the same appearance and construction as the longbow archery arrows, but the length is shorter because of the power stroke.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 06:39:04 am »

This article above says "arrows", some articles say "bolts", there may be a slight difference.

@TomSea

There is a big enough difference they aren't interchangeable. Arrows are long,generally made from wood,and fired from a bow.

"Bolts" are usually short,made from some sort of metal,and only fired from a crossbow.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 10:24:32 am »

I had one as a kid, did you? I mounted a Zebco
fishing reel on mine.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 03:30:17 pm »

I had one as a kid, did you? I mounted a Zebco
fishing reel on mine.

@Elderberry

No,but I really,REALLY wanted one. For some odd reason my mother,the boss of the family,decided a crossbow would not be a good fit for me.  Don't know why,since I got a shotgun when i was 8.

They wouldn't let me have a pistol when I was 10,either,although they seemed to have no problem with me carrying the 22 caliber zip gun I made from a car antenna,a piece of wood,and a bunch of rubber bands. I don't even remember what happened to that one. I just got bored with it one day,quit carrying it around,and it disappeared. My switchblade disappeared too,after I joined the army. They threw out pretty much everything I owned including my clothes after I enlisted. Came home from basic training and didn't even have a pair of jeans or sneakers to wear. It was all gone. My mother informed me I didn't need that stuff anymore since I had uniforms to wear,so she threw it all away.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 03:34:50 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 03:44:43 pm »
@Elderberry

No,but I really,REALLY wanted one. For some odd reason my mother,the boss of the family,decided a crossbow would not be a good fit for me.  Don't know why,since I got a shotgun when i was 8.

They wouldn't let me have a pistol when I was 10,either.

My grandfather on my mother's side was a prison warden in Georgia and had only 3 daughters. He taught them absolutely no gun handling and my Mom grew up afraid of guns.
I remember on a visit to my Ma Ma and Pa Pa. I was sitting on the sofa and my Pa Pa gave me a revolver. I must of been about six. I was in High Heaven for about 5 minutes when my Mom came in and that was the last I ever saw of it. He later gave me a .22 Rifle I had to keep at his house. My Mom would rave on "As long as you're living in my house, You'll never have a BB Gun." I wore her down with help from my Dad. My first firearm I could keep at our house was a shotgun, but I was the ripe old age of 12.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 03:47:22 pm »
I think my mom threw away my Grand-dad's Blackjack and Brass Knuckles I had when I was in the Navy.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 03:52:15 pm »
I was stationed on the Lexington and it pulled into port at Galveston. I went home,  gathered all my reloading supplies, snuck them on board, and stashed them in my bunk. On the way back to Pensacola there was a bunk inspection. Fortunately MasterChief inspected my bunk. He saw all that reloading supplies and only said to get all of it off the ship, shaking his head the whole time.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 04:21:52 pm »
I think my mom threw away my Grand-dad's Blackjack and Brass Knuckles I had when I was in the Navy.

@Elderberry

I never had a Blackjack,but I did get the family brass knuckles when I was 8. Mine were steel,not brass,though. Had them for decades,but lost them and pretty much everything else when the house burned down due to a chimney fire. Used to carry them in my pocket when I walked up to high school football and baseball games,and to my Little League baseball games when I was 8-12 years old. Had to walk past several blues bars on the way to the high school after dark and back home near midnight,and being a little white kid by myself,felt the need for a little protection. I later graduated to carrying a razor sharp Plumb hatchet that I spent hours practicing throwing,and I was truly dangerous with that thing. Never did throw it,though. Only time I ever used it two black teens jumped out from behind some bushes to rob me one Friday night as I was coming back from the grocery store after cashing my father's paycheck. Instead of  trying to run away so they could grab me from behind,I just dumped the bicycle,jumped off of it,pulled the hatchet out of my belt,and screamed and ran at them. Smacked one in the forehead with the flat end,and the other one just dissapeared. Left the one I smacked laying on the sidewalk and bleeding from his head,jumped on my bike,and went on home and never said a word about it to anyone for decades. I did look in the newspapers for any news report about someone being killed or even attacked with a hatchet,and since there were no reports,I assumed the guy regained is consciousness and went back home. Or at least to look for a more reliable accomplice.

What I do know is nobody ever tried to rob me again after that. We are talking 1955 or 1956 here,and my father was taking home around 130 bucks a week. That was pretty good money back then. Never thought about it at the time,but sending a kid to cash a check like that every Friday night,and then have him come home on his own while carrying all that cash wasn't a good idea to start with. You KNOW there would be people watching and making plans to grab that money.