Author Topic: Bill Nye says it's time to grow up and realize the planet is on fire  (Read 3833 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Bill Nye says it's time to grow up and realize the planet is on fire

By Chloe Melas, CNN

Updated 3:06 PM ET, Mon May 13, 2019

CNN)Bill Nye wants to remind you of the seriousness of global warming and he's not mincing words.

The well-known science commentator appeared on "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" on Sunday and put things bluntly while talking about the Green New Deal, introduced by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Ed Markey.

Nye wants you to know, "The planet's on f***ing fire."

"By the end of this century, if emissions keep rising, the average temperature on Earth could go up another four to eight degrees," Nye said. "What I'm saying is the planet's on f***ing fire. There are a lot of things we could do to put it out -- are any of them free? No, of course not. Nothing's free, you idiots. Grow the f**k up. You're not children anymore. I didn't mind explaining photosynthesis to you when you were 12. But you're adults now, and this is an actually crisis, got it? Safety glasses off, motherf***ers."

more
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/13/entertainment/bill-nye-global-warming-video/index.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Maybe he needs one of these:

(Why, yes, that is a CO2 fire extinguisher. )
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Or a Carbon-Free Fire Biucket.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Bill Nye .  A joke. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

Maybe it's time for Nye to learn something - anything - about meteorology.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Cancelled flights, limousines
Hustle bustles, crazy scenes
First you're here, then you're there
Pretty soon man, you been everywhere
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Bill Nye .  A joke.

"Bill Nye the Mechanical Engineer Guy."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Didn't I read somewhere that CO2 is pretty effective for putting out fires?
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CO2 fire extinguishers are the "Go-To" extinguishers for electrical fires (Class C) as they leave no contaminating residue. They are also useful on Class B ( flammable liquid) fires.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I have read that his so called 'degree' is being questioned.
He is just another carnival barker huckster taking money from fools.
This act is as old a time, and yet the supply of new idiots never fails.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Bill Nye says it's time to grow up and realize the planet is on fire
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 01:41:45 pm »

Mr. Nye guy should know this.  A couple semesters of Chem are prerequisites for a Bachelor's degree for a Mechanical Engineer.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 03:27:22 am »
Bill Nye says it's time to grow up and realize the planet is on fire

By Chloe Melas, CNN

Updated 3:06 PM ET, Mon May 13, 2019

CNN)Bill Nye wants to remind you of the seriousness of global warming and he's not mincing words.

The well-known science commentator appeared on "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" on Sunday and put things bluntly while talking about the Green New Deal, introduced by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Ed Markey.

Nye wants you to know, "The planet's on f***ing fire."

"By the end of this century, if emissions keep rising, the average temperature on Earth could go up another four to eight degrees," Nye said. "What I'm saying is the planet's on f***ing fire. There are a lot of things we could do to put it out -- are any of them free? No, of course not. Nothing's free, you idiots. Grow the f**k up. You're not children anymore. I didn't mind explaining photosynthesis to you when you were 12. But you're adults now, and this is an actually crisis, got it? Safety glasses off, motherf***ers."

more
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/13/entertainment/bill-nye-global-warming-video/index.html
the case has never been made that is detrimental to us.

Warming us up if we are entering another ice age is extremely beneficial to humans and plants
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 03:33:53 am »
I have read that his so called 'degree' is being questioned.
He is just another carnival barker huckster taking money from fools.
This act is as old a time, and yet the supply of new idiots never fails.

I don't know, that much, but I do know he is a goof ball.  The planet has been around for about 4 BILLION years and our LIVING PLANET....is just fine.  We will be gone....not the planet.  We didn't cause the ice age either.  Things change.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 03:43:01 am »
 I read since science started measuring "earth temperature"...it has gone up half of one percent...if that.  It may go down again.
That is what happens on a LIVNG PLANET.  I am so, not worried!  lol.  The planet will take care of itself...no matter what we mere mortals do or not do.  HOW ARROGANT TO BELIEVE, WE CAN CONTROL THESE THINGS.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 01:02:17 pm »
I read since science started measuring "earth temperature"...it has gone up half of one percent...if that.  It may go down again.
That is what happens on a LIVNG PLANET.  I am so, not worried!  lol.  The planet will take care of itself...no matter what we mere mortals do or not do.  HOW ARROGANT TO BELIEVE, WE CAN CONTROL THESE THINGS.
The 'history' of so called Global Warming is corrupted. We cannot really know the change in temperature because thermometers in the past, say before 1950, were not strictly regulated. One thermometer would read a certain temperature, another thermometer would read something different.

The history of temperature change in the wayback machine is based on extremes. Everybody could see the cold and watch their crops not grow. But in terms of detailed specific measurements, there were none. Localities around the world became used to their own systems. They knew what a temperature meant, regardless of what the numbers being used were.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 01:30:22 pm »
Scientists manipulate the data to make it say whatever they want it to say.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 02:52:46 pm »
Scientists manipulate the data to make it say whatever they want it to say.
Then, by definition, they are not 'Scientists'.

They are nothing but propaganda spreaders and have disqualified the label of scientist.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 03:07:00 pm »
The only things "on fire" here are Bill Nye's pants.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 11:24:03 pm »
The 'history' of so called Global Warming is corrupted. We cannot really know the change in temperature because thermometers in the past, say before 1950, were not strictly regulated. One thermometer would read a certain temperature, another thermometer would read something different.

The history of temperature change in the wayback machine is based on extremes. Everybody could see the cold and watch their crops not grow. But in terms of detailed specific measurements, there were none. Localities around the world became used to their own systems. They knew what a temperature meant, regardless of what the numbers being used were.

Totally agree!    :thumbsup:

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 11:03:19 pm »

He's an embarrassment to us real mechanical engineers.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2019, 11:11:31 pm »
No doubt! You guys have to stick to facts, unlike Nye.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 04:52:33 am »
My nephew just received his masters in mechanical engineering last year from Berkley, at a family gathering we were talking and Bill Nye and his predictions of doom came up. When I said I didn't agree with what Nye was saying my nephew replied with a condescending 'OH, you're one of those'. I said one of what and he said climate change deniers, I responded that that was untrue I believe in climate change, it changes daily and seasonally. He got huffy and told me he knows better because he had to study all the data and submit a paper on it. Obviously he felt I was too ignorant and I felt in the interest of not turning it into an argument at one of the few of our gatherings I decided to not ask if he really believed all the bullshit in that data.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 06:16:01 am »
My nephew just received his masters in mechanical engineering last year from Berkley, at a family gathering we were talking and Bill Nye and his predictions of doom came up. When I said I didn't agree with what Nye was saying my nephew replied with a condescending 'OH, you're one of those'. I said one of what and he said climate change deniers, I responded that that was untrue I believe in climate change, it changes daily and seasonally. He got huffy and told me he knows better because he had to study all the data and submit a paper on it. Obviously he felt I was too ignorant and I felt in the interest of not turning it into an argument at one of the few of our gatherings I decided to not ask if he really believed all the bullshit in that data.
Give him time and let him see a few other misrepresented data sets with erroneous conclusions and maybe he'll come around. So much is presented as clean cut gospel to students, and a little time in the real world has a way of exposing the approximations, generalizations, and, in some cases downright falsehoods that are sometimes conveniently wrapped in the tidy presentations of academia.

Part of the problem is in the presentation of the scientific method to use an experiment to 'prove' their belief (hypothesis) instead of test it. That introduces bias, which can affect data quality if integrity is not strictly maintained.

Pressure to publish, grant considerations, and desire to be eminent in a field may lead people to stray from the straight and narrow. Personal integrity becomes a determining factor, but bias introduced in educational or other environments can lead people to ignore data or flaws in data or conclusions.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2019, 10:08:25 pm »
Give him time and let him see a few other misrepresented data sets with erroneous conclusions and maybe he'll come around. So much is presented as clean cut gospel to students, and a little time in the real world has a way of exposing the approximations, generalizations, and, in some cases downright falsehoods that are sometimes conveniently wrapped in the tidy presentations of academia.

Part of the problem is in the presentation of the scientific method to use an experiment to 'prove' their belief (hypothesis) instead of test it. That introduces bias, which can affect data quality if integrity is not strictly maintained.

Pressure to publish, grant considerations, and desire to be eminent in a field may lead people to stray from the straight and narrow. Personal integrity becomes a determining factor, but bias introduced in educational or other environments can lead people to ignore data or flaws in data or conclusions.
I wish, but it seems all my nephews and nieces have gone over to the dark side, include two nieces that were raised devout Catholics and were firm Conservatives....................until they went to Universities. Hell my own kids are night and day, both raised the same way. My son who went to CSUF for his teaching credentials and then to CSULB for his Masters in English is a flaming libtard(and his wife), while my daughter who married early and didn't go to college is a straight thinking, intelligent Conservative and married the same. So I can't help but believe that higher educations foremost purpose for the last couple of decades at least is indoctrination.

My mother says that the problem started with all the former hippies becoming teachers.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2019, 10:43:28 pm »
Hawk wrote:
"I can't help but believe that higher educations foremost purpose for the last couple of decades at least is indoctrination."

Also called "the long march through the institutions".
And it's nearly over.