Author Topic: You Won't Pass the Army's New Fitness Test  (Read 783 times)

rangerrebew

You Won't Pass the Army's New Fitness Test
« on: May 13, 2019, 04:42:57 pm »
May 11, 2019

Tough. Really tough.
by Task and Purpose

By October 2020, all soldiers will be required to take and pass the Army’s new gender- and age-neutral Combat Fitness Test, which has more events and less time for rest than the service’s current PT test, officials said on Monday.

(This article by Jeff Schogol originally appeared at Task & Purpose. Follow Task & Purpose on Twitter. This article first appeared in 2018.)

The Army has not yet decided what the standards will be that soldiers have to meet on each of the test’s six events, or whether soldiers will take alternative tests if they fail any or all of the events, said Sergeant Major of the Army Daniel Dailey.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/you-wont-pass-armys-new-fitness-test-57077
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 04:43:49 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: You Won't Pass the Army's New Fitness Test
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 06:41:36 pm »
That's hilarious.  The title of the article is:

And they claim that it is:

Tough. Really tough.

But then they admit

The Army has not yet decided what the standards will be that soldiers have to meet on each of the test’s six events, or whether soldiers will take alternative tests if they fail any or all of the events....

So, count me skeptical about how "tough" this test will actually be.  Especially considering:

By October 2020, all soldiers will be required to take and pass the Army’s new gender- and age-neutral Combat Fitness Test

Maybe it'll be tough for 45 year old broads.  Maybe not quite so tough for 21 year old young men.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 06:57:07 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 07:01:48 pm »
Braun and athleticism will never substitute for brains and common sense on the battlefield. One needs a bit of it all.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 07:27:50 pm »
Braun and athleticism will never substitute for brains and common sense on the battlefield. One needs a bit of it all.

Well, it's certainly nice to have brawn in addition to brains.   But that really doesn't have anything to do with how tough the fitness test -- with standards that have yet to be determined -- is going to be.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 10:55:22 pm »
Brawn and brains do not have to be mutually exclusive. Unfortunately, that is a common myth perpetrated to the extent that the pursuit of both is too seldom undertaken.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 10:41:05 am »
I'm pushing 72 and just getting out of bed can be a struggle at times.  So I guess I fail the test. :silly: