Author Topic: President Trump Points Out Alternate Favorable Trade Partners – The 2017 “Golden Ticket” Summit….  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

President Trump Points Out Alternate Favorable Trade Partners – The 2017 “Golden Ticket” Summit….
Conservative Treehouse, May 12, 2019

CTH was wondering how long it would take for President Trump to point out the brutally obvious…. Thanks to some advanced planning that everyone ignored, there are multiple trade alternatives to China:

Perhaps now people will reference President Trump’s long-game strategy which has been evident since his marathon Asia trip in November 2017.

Long before media pundits starting noticing/considering how serious President Trump was about structurally resetting the entire landscape of a U.S-China trade relationship,  President Trump quietly and methodically laid the groundwork with personal visits to: Prime Minister Shinzo Abe (Japan); President Moon Jae-in (S-Korea); President Tran Dai Quang (Vietnam); and President Rodrigo Duerte (Philippines).

Oh, how quickly the media forgot.

These were not visits as part of multi-national/multilateral G20 or G7 discussions.  The November 2017 tour of Asia was President Trump traveling to meet directly, face-to-face, one-on-one with the manufacturing heavyweights of Southeast Asia.

At every single stop he broadcast the intent of the visit: “We’re talking TRADE”!

These were unilateral meetings; and, in hindsight, clearly designed to structure the foundation of the current U.S-China trade conflict.  You might remember CTH calling this the “golden ticket tour“.   The tour culminated in the November 12-13, 2017, ASEAN summit; but the 10-day tour of Asia was entirely separate from the summit.

After the collapse of the U.S-China negotiations, there’s a reason why President Trump says: “we’re in no rush” to make a deal.

More:  https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2019/05/12/president-trump-points-out-alternate-favorable-trade-partners-the-2017-golden-ticket-summit/

Offline bilo

It's long past time to confront China and even end our trade with them. It may hurt in the short run, but we will be safer and better off economically in the long run.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

It's long past time to confront China and even end our trade with them. It may hurt in the short run, but we will be safer and better off economically in the long run.

I have some mixed feelings on this.  I agree that Trump was absolutely right to confront China; the unbalance in trade has been going on for quite sometime.  I'm just not so sure that the negative economic impact will be short term.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

This is more than the market making a cyclical correction the DOW is down almost 700 pts. since I last checked.

Dow, S&P 500 set for worst May tumble in nearly 50 years amid U.S.-China trade clash

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/dow-futures-drop-over-200-points-as-u-s-china-trade-talks-appear-stalled-2019-05-13?mod=MW_home_top_stories

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline dfwgator

I have some mixed feelings on this.  I agree that Trump was absolutely right to confront China; the unbalance in trade has been going on for quite sometime.  I'm just not so sure that the negative economic impact will be short term.

He didn't go to Vietnam just to meet Kim Jong Un.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
There will always be another emerging 3rd world country more than willing to replace china to supply American's with cheap products that we can buy from Amazon or Ebay. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

To me, that means you are unsure that capitalism works. I'm not!  Free markets hate a vacuum and where there is opportunity it will be taken advantage of. 

There is no law that says we have to purchase anything from Red China.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Donald J. Trump‏
Verified account  @realDonaldTrump

There is no reason for the U.S. Consumer to pay the Tariffs, which take effect on China today. This has been proven recently when only 4 points were paid by the U.S., 21 points by China because China subsidizes product to such a large degree. Also, the Tariffs can be.....

...completely avoided if you buy from a non-Tariffed Country, or you buy the product inside the USA (the best idea). That’s Zero Tariffs. Many Tariffed companies will be leaving China for Vietnam and other such countries in Asia. That’s why China wants to make a deal so badly!...

..There will be nobody left in China to do business with. Very bad for China, very good for USA! But China has taken so advantage of the U.S. for so many years, that they are way ahead (Our Presidents did not do the job). Therefore, China should not retaliate-will only get worse!

8:55 AM - 13 May 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1127965569821626368

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Our trade? 

If I want to buy some cheap Chinese piece of carp at Walmart that breaks before I get it out of the package, that's MY choice, there's no OURS about it.  And I say that as a guy who generally avoids Chinese products (by my own personal choice).  Let Fedzilla dictate who I can and can't purchase goods from, next thing you know they'll be forcing me to buy products I may not want.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline LegalAmerican

^ 5.  Correct & why don't the LEFT ever see that?  "shy is falling chicken lefts".. It never occurs to them..they don't have to buy or shop for anything made in CHINA!  We are looking at long term. 

Offline LegalAmerican

Our trade? 

If I want to buy some cheap Chinese piece of carp at Walmart that breaks before I get it out of the package, that's MY choice, there's no OURS about it.  And I say that as a guy who generally avoids Chinese products (by my own personal choice).  Let Fedzilla dictate who I can and can't purchase goods from, next thing you know they'll be forcing me to buy products I may not want.

I don't understand your comment.  FEDZILLA?  LIKE YOUR OBAMA WHO MANDATED OBAMCARE UNDER PENALTY ?
LIKE THAT?  OR OBAMA who outsourced NASA to RUSSIA...and outsourced cars to Mexico, jobs to  Philippines, Africa, gave Brazil money, instead of USA.  FEDZILLA LIKE THAT?  Shezzzzz

We've had trade deals forever by fedzilla.  Now it is a problem for you, because of president TRUMP..trying to fix it all? 

Offline libertybele

^ 5.  Correct & why don't the LEFT ever see that?  "shy is falling chicken lefts".. It never occurs to them..they don't have to buy or shop for anything made in CHINA!  We are looking at long term.

No, we certainly don't have to purchase anything made in China, but it is difficult to find items not made in China these days.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
No, we certainly don't have to purchase anything made in China, but it is difficult to find items not made in China these days.

Why is that?  Do you have any idea?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LegalAmerican

No one NEEDS to shop.  Make your own greeting card.  Make do. NO SHOPPING FOR A WHILE for chairs, furniture, cars, whatever....We can do without, for a while...to fix this long term.  Thanks.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Why is that?  Do you have any idea?

I know it was a rhetorical question but I do love to state the obvious....

We let them!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I know it was a rhetorical question but I do love to state the obvious....

We let them!

Not only let them, encourage them!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Wingnut

Not only let them, encourage them!

Yep, because we had feckless and ball less leaders who sold us out for the promise of cheap sh*t.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Yep, because we had feckless and ball less leaders who sold us out for the promise of cheap sh*t.

Our current idiotic tax code provides very strong incentives for US manufacturers to move their operations offshore.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

888high58888

Offline bilo

This is the short term adjustment that needs to be made.

Motorola is a good long term example. They initially began opening plants in China and discovered that their technology was being stolen and built in plants right down the street from them. They took the hit and wrote off their investment and pulled out of China. Today they are doing fine and are manufacturing their products elsewhere.

The Chinese success is built off of stealing from others and unfair trade practices. We tried to help them open their economy and to become a modern nation. They burned us. We should remember "cheat me once shame on you, cheat me twice shame on me".
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

This is the short term adjustment that needs to be made.

Motorola is a good long term example. They initially began opening plants in China and discovered that their technology was being stolen and built in plants right down the street from them. They took the hit and wrote off their investment and pulled out of China. Today they are doing fine and are manufacturing their products elsewhere.

The Chinese success is built off of stealing from others and unfair trade practices. We tried to help them open their economy and to become a modern nation. They burned us. We should remember "cheat me once shame on you, cheat me twice shame on me".

Yes you are correct; unfair trade practices that have been going on for decades. The U.S. imported approx. $580 billion dollars from China and exported appx. $120 billion. 

Why the U.S.-China trade deficit is so huge: Here’s all the stuff America imports

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-all-the-stuff-the-us-imports-from-china-thats-causing-a-huge-trade-deficit-2018-03-23

Offline QueenCatofAragon

No one NEEDS to shop.  Make your own greeting card.  Make do. NO SHOPPING FOR A WHILE for chairs, furniture, cars, whatever....We can do without, for a while...to fix this long term.  Thanks.

@LegalAmerican

Are you kidding?  I like to shop.  I want to shop.  We plan on re-doing some rooms in the house.  Do you expect me to put that on hold for Trump?

Do without if you want, but that's your thing, sis. 
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline libertybele

@LegalAmerican

Are you kidding?  I like to shop.  I want to shop.  We plan on re-doing some rooms in the house.  Do you expect me to put that on hold for Trump?

Do without if you want, but that's your thing, sis.

If you redecorate with goods made in China, it is probably now going to cost you more ... I'm hoping that eventually, those goods will be made in the good ole U.S.A. 

I love to shop as well (hello, who doesn't).  I personally am willing to put off purchases if I can't find a similar item that' isn't  made in China. 

We just downsized and I still need to finish decorating the family room and we need to organize the garage with shelving units, and need a few odds and ends but we can honestly wait if need be ...the family room and garage are functional, just not the way we would eventually like them.  We can do without and being in retirement, it will save us some $$.

I honestly don't need any more clothes or shoes right now. Bought new appliances, ceiling fans, repainted interior, etc. Truly all we need are just the basic necessities; food, water, personal hygiene items, and paper goods.  Yes, I can get all made or grown in the U.S.A!  And for that matter ... don't need vegetables or fruit from Mexico, Honduras or Guatemala!

USA!  USA!  USA!  USA!  USA!  USA!   :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

Offline QueenCatofAragon

If you redecorate with goods made in China, it is probably now going to cost you more ... I'm hoping that eventually, those goods will be made in the good ole U.S.A. 

I love to shop as well (hello, who doesn't).  I personally am willing to put off purchases if I can't find a similar item that' isn't  made in China. 

We just downsized and I still need to finish decorating the family room and we need to organize the garage with shelving units, and need a few odds and ends but we can honestly wait if need be ...the family room and garage are functional, just not the way we would eventually like them.  We can do without and being in retirement, it will save us some $$.

I honestly don't need any more clothes or shoes right now. Bought new appliances, ceiling fans, repainted interior, etc. Truly all we need are just the basic necessities; food, water, personal hygiene items, and paper goods.  Yes, I can get all made or grown in the U.S.A!  And for that matter ... don't need vegetables or fruit from Mexico, Honduras or Guatemala!

USA!  USA!  USA!  USA!  USA!  USA!   :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

@libertybele

I’m not going to lie and say I don’t shop at Walmart & end up bringing home some items made in China.  But when it comes to clothes, especially, we found out the hard way their stuff is garbage.  My husband wore Land’s End super tees to work for years.  Then they started having them made in China.  The cotton was coarse and thin.  The necks were big and saggy.  And the sizing was comically off.

There is nooo way I’d buy Chinese furniture.  I live near Greenfront Furniture In Farmville, VA—it’s a huge million sq. ft. shopping complex with 13 warehouses (one for rugs alone)!  Not all of their stuff is American made, but much of it is.

https://www.greenfront.com/
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Trump should end the favored trading status for China.  China will surpass the USA in just a matter of a few years.  Time to treat them like anyone else.  No favoritism for China whatsoever.