Author Topic: These 6 common vegetables are actually all the same plant  (Read 1659 times)

Offline mrclose

These 6 common vegetables are actually all the same plant
« on: May 12, 2019, 10:33:47 pm »

Not especially Earth Shattering information but I had no idea that all of these were from one plant!

Thought that I might not be the only one to find this interesting.  :shrug:

You may never have heard of the plant Brassica Oleracea, but you've definitely eaten it.

Six vegetables you can find in any grocery store and which most people eat on a regular basis are actually all from this one plant. Over the last few thousand years, farmers have bred Brassica Oleracea into six "cultivars" that eventually became many of the vegetables we eat:

This one plant was selectively bred over hundreds of years to create dozens of wildly different vegetables. By selecting and breeding plants with bigger leaves, or larger buds, the different cultivars (also known as subspecies) were created.

https://outline.com/T9g2pX

If you would prefer to read the article in its entirety, with popups and other clutter, just click on Business Insider at the top left at link!
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: These 6 common vegetables are actually all the same plant
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 12:23:56 am »
Same plant? No.

Same plant species? Yes.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 12:28:53 am »
Is this a Democrat Plant thread?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 01:07:23 am »
Love all 6 vegetables.  Cruciferous and very good for us. As a child, I would get a Kolrabi from the garden and eat it raw. Very expensive now, in grocery stores.  It has the taste of a radish, but no BITE.  I also, cut out that center part of cabbage and eat it raw. No wonder I like it!  Same stuff!  INTERESTING....I did not know all of this. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 01:17:17 am »
As a child, I would get a Kolrabi from the garden and eat it raw. Very expensive now, in grocery stores.  It has the taste of a radish, but no BITE.
They don't even sell kohlrabi in stores where I'm at... although you can grow them. I've grown a few in the garden the past couple years.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 01:28:01 am »
Brussels sprouts with lots of hot sauce are da bomb.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 01:36:58 am »
They don't even sell kohlrabi in stores where I'm at... although you can grow them. I've grown a few in the garden the past couple years.

Yes. it is hard to find.  I moved out of VEGAS and now, this small grocery store has mostly Mexican stuff. Peppers, cilantro..etc. 

I have very bad soil, but would love to have a garden. I heard you can take a tire, fill it with dirt, then plant.  As single, lady, a bit too much to handle.  Maybe later. In a new home...still organizing. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 01:52:19 am »
Mustard greens, by a couple of names, are a common ingredient with oil,  for pasta topping in my wife's faamily.

Grew wild all over SoCal.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:02:11 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 02:33:57 am »
Yes. it is hard to find.  I moved out of VEGAS and now, this small grocery store has mostly Mexican stuff. Peppers, cilantro..etc. 

I have very bad soil, but would love to have a garden. I heard you can take a tire, fill it with dirt, then plant.  As single, lady, a bit too much to handle.  Maybe later. In a new home...still organizing.
@LegalAmerican

If you have bad soil. a Square Foot Garden would be the way to go: https://squarefootgardening.org/2017/07/our-method/

Or small scale hydroponics: https://www.backwoodshome.com/an-introduction-to-small-scale-home-hydroponics/

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 10:13:34 pm »
@LegalAmerican

If you have bad soil. a Square Foot Garden would be the way to go: https://squarefootgardening.org/2017/07/our-method/

Or small scale hydroponics: https://www.backwoodshome.com/an-introduction-to-small-scale-home-hydroponics/

Nice. I'll keep it in mind.  ^ 5

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 02:45:03 am »
@LegalAmerican

When I was in the Navy my Mom was living in a trailer park. Her yard was small. I first helped her put in a compost pile. Started with a cube made with 4 pallets. And then another cube. She then had me make her a raised bed, square foot type garden. I built it out of 2x12's right next to the sidewalk and she put that compost she made to good use. She grew all kinds of vegetables in that garden.