Author Topic: Have you planted yellow crookneck squash yet? It's not too late.  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I absolutely love scrambled yellow squash and onions! I can eat a ton of it. Don't worry if you burn some of it, it's still Good! As a kid I always made sure I had a patch of squash growing somewhere in the yard. The more squash I grew, the more mama would fry me up some.

https://spicysouthernkitchen.com/summer-squash-and-onions/

Summer Squash cooked in a little bacon fat with lots of onion and a little thyme or tarragon. This is one of the most delicious ways to eat squash.

Summer squash is plentiful in the south during July and August. I much prefer it to zucchini. It has a natural sweetness and pan frying it brings out even more sweetness.

Fresh yellow crookneck squash are so tender and delicious, especially the smaller ones.

Summer Squash and Onions is a simple dish with plenty of flavor from bacon grease and onion.

If you wanted to make this vegetarian, you could leave out the bacon grease and use more butter or olive oil. I like to add just a little dried or fresh thyme for some herb flavor. Basil or rosemary would be good too.

If you’re trying to find more vegetable dishes your kids will eat, try this one. Kids love the sweetness. If they don’t like onions, just remove them before serving.

Mom's came out more like scrambled eggs. She used a hot pan and really scrambled 'em up. So they were darker and more mushed up (technical terms here). That's the way I liked(loved) 'em.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Have you planted yellow crookneck squash yet? It's not too late.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 03:20:10 am »
I agree with the bacon fat, but I like mine cooked al dente.  And, yes, it is good stuff!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 03:34:53 am »
I agree with the bacon fat, but I like mine cooked al dente.  And, yes, it is good stuff!

Al Dente? What do the Italians know about Squash, which is a Native American Plant?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 03:41:01 am »
Al Dente? What do the Italians know about Squash, which is a Native American Plant?

They Italians know a lot.  They're a mysterious bunch.

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 06:50:53 am »
Squash and Liver... about the only two things I will not eat. Wife could swim in the stuff... Yuck...
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 05:13:35 pm »
The Squash and Cucumbers are starting to flower at the house.
Have Tomatoes for about 2 weeks now.
Jalapenos are doing well, but they always do.
Biggest issue I have with them is remembering to pick them before they go red.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 05:41:25 pm »
The Squash and Cucumbers are starting to flower at the house.
Have Tomatoes for about 2 weeks now.
Jalapenos are doing well, but they always do.
Biggest issue I have with them is remembering to pick them before they go red.

I leave the last of my jalapenos hanging on the plant until the plant is all tuckered out. Talk about some fiery stuff.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 05:49:01 pm »
I leave the last of my jalapenos hanging on the plant until the plant is all tuckered out. Talk about some fiery stuff.

Anaheim / Pablanos are about as many Scoville units as I can stand. 

and my all time favorites are mild Hatch.  HEB has them on sale once per year, and man do I ever stock up and freeze.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 05:51:16 pm »
Anaheim / Pablanos are about as many Scoville units as I can stand. 

and my all time favorites are mild Hatch.  HEB has them on sale once per year, and man do I ever stock up and freeze.

Jalapenos are about my limit on the Scoville Scale.
There are some crazy hot ones out there.
I do like Hatch Chilies as well.
Good stuff.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 06:10:17 pm »
I absolutely love scrambled yellow squash and onions! I can eat a ton of it. Don't worry if you burn some of it, it's still Good! As a kid I always made sure I had a patch of squash growing somewhere in the yard. The more squash I grew, the more mama would fry me up some.

https://spicysouthernkitchen.com/summer-squash-and-onions/

Summer Squash cooked in a little bacon fat with lots of onion and a little thyme or tarragon. This is one of the most delicious ways to eat squash.

Summer squash is plentiful in the south during July and August. I much prefer it to zucchini. It has a natural sweetness and pan frying it brings out even more sweetness.

Fresh yellow crookneck squash are so tender and delicious, especially the smaller ones.

Summer Squash and Onions is a simple dish with plenty of flavor from bacon grease and onion.

If you wanted to make this vegetarian, you could leave out the bacon grease and use more butter or olive oil. I like to add just a little dried or fresh thyme for some herb flavor. Basil or rosemary would be good too.

If you’re trying to find more vegetable dishes your kids will eat, try this one. Kids love the sweetness. If they don’t like onions, just remove them before serving.

Mom's came out more like scrambled eggs. She used a hot pan and really scrambled 'em up. So they were darker and more mushed up (technical terms here). That's the way I liked(loved) 'em.
I've planted mine.  As a matter of fact I hoed part of them while at lunch.  I have 36 mounds of them to be exact.  I do love yellow squash...…..yummmmmmmmmm.  I should be getting my first picking in a couple of days provided it doesn't hail.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 06:36:24 pm »

A few years back I pulled up my habanero plants with some peppers still attached (I barely use them, I was just growing them among my tomatoes as payback for the squirrels) and threw them in the yard.  I forgot all about them until the next time I mowed.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 08:32:38 pm »
My favorite yellow squashes are Lemon and Gelber Englischer, both from Baker Creek.
The Republic is lost.