Author Topic: Florida must provide Spanish-language ballots in 2020, federal judge orders  (Read 1644 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
A Unamerican Judges decision will hopefully be reversed.

A federal judge ordered 32 Florida counties to provide ballots in Spanish beginning next year, stating that failure to do so would be a violation of the Voting Rights Act.

The order was in the form of a preliminary injunction in a case brought by voters who were educated in Puerto Rico and are lacking proficiency in English, The Palm Beach Post reported.

"Compliance with this Order is not optional," Chief Judge Mark Walker of the Northern District of Florida Gainesville Division wrote in a Friday ruling. "This Court will not hesitate to use every tool the law provides to enforce this Order."

Judge Walker reportedly noted that Section 4(e) of the Voting Rights Act "prohibits English-only elections for those citizens — yes, citizens — educated in
Puerto Rico in Spanish." (emphasis in original) Therefore, he ordered that the 32 counties in question must provide voters with ballots in Spanish starting with Florida's primary election scheduled for March 17, 2020.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/judge-orders-florida-counties-to-provide-spanish-language-ballots-in-2020
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Ok. Fine. Print it in cursive.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I thought you had to be a Citizen or Naturalized Citizen to vote, at least in Federal Elections.

Naturalization Eligibility Requirements

Before an individual applies for naturalization, he or she must meet a few requirements. Depending on the individual’s situation, there are different requirements that may apply. General requirements for naturalization are below.

Be at least 18 years old at the time of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

Be a permanent resident (have a “Green Card”) for at least 5 years.

Show that you have lived for at least 3 months in the state or USCIS district where you apply.

Demonstrate continuous residence in the United States for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400.

Show that you have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400.

Be able to read, write, and speak basic English.

Have a basic understanding of U.S. history and government (civics).

Be a person of good moral character.

Demonstrate an attachment to the principles and ideals of the U.S. Constitution.

So exactly why do we need to provide any voting materials in any foreign language?  Is there someone available to explain the ballots to native born illiterate Americans?No one provided my parents voter information in Hungarian after they were naturalized, they damn well learned to read and write the language of the country they called their new home. I think it's a matter of serious concern if people that can't meet the requirements are being naturalized anyway.

Offline Applewood

FYI -- Judge Walker is an Obama appointee.

I guess we are preparing for the day when the illegals will be allowed to vote.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I'm sure fake name 'BETO', who is a rich White Irish guy pretending to be Hispanic, is very happy about this.
Yea, he says, get all those stupid wetbacks to vote for me. Why not?
I am a rich White American Democrat. They should vote for me! I deserve it!
F**k those stupid illegal mutherf**kers.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
You have the names of the parties, the names of the people... the number of allowed votes, which can be expressed as a numeral... and the titles of the offices, most of which are recognizable in English or Spanish (Governor/Gobernador, for example).

The only real "translation" necessary would be any ballot propositions, and I don't know if/how Florida handles those. How much translation do they legitimately need?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
You have the names of the parties, the names of the people... the number of allowed votes, which can be expressed as a numeral... and the titles of the offices, most of which are recognizable in English or Spanish (Governor/Gobernador, for example).

The only real "translation" necessary would be any ballot propositions, and I don't know if/how Florida handles those. How much translation do they legitimately need?
Man, if Florida is anything like California, there aint a language in the world that would make them understandable!

Offline corbe

Get ready Texas, here it comes.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

In 2018 there were a dozen Constitutional Amendments (ugh!), and then in my county several judges (retain or not), a few county wide propositions and a few city specific propositions.  All of which were printed in English and Spanish, as well as sample ballots being available online and mailed to voters weeks ahead of the election.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Man, if Florida is anything like California, there aint a language in the world that would make them understandable!

What I find amazing is that the ballot does not contain the actual Amendment/proposition/etc, you vote on someone's summary of said text.   That just seems wrong to me.

If we did vote on the actual text, I'd argue that ballots should be ONLY in English, because that's the language our State Constitution is written in.  Voting on a translation is invalid, IMO.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

Sadly, this sort of thing is not new. In CA, as elsewhere language requirements vary by county. Check this out for a glimpse of the insanity.https://elections.cdn.sos.ca.gov/ccrov/pdf/2017/december/17148sr.pdf

The simple question is one of whether people who can't read the Constitution or Bill of Rights or so much more which explains the very concept of the United States, should be voting.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline dancer

I'm sure fake name 'BETO', who is a rich White Irish guy pretending to be Hispanic, is very happy about this.
Yea, he says, get all those stupid wetbacks to vote for me. Why not?
I am a rich White American Democrat. They should vote for me! I deserve it!
F**k those stupid illegal mutherf**kers.

Beto is running ads for his presidential campaign in Mexico!  The only candidate to do so. 

Offline Smokin Joe

Beto is running ads for his presidential campaign in Mexico!  The only candidate to do so.
He's after those new voters before they even get here, and likely influence from the folks back home for ones who are.

C S Lewis

Online rustynail

Then the LORD raised up Judges, who saved them.....

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
If I ever run, I'm going to call myself Jose Gonzalaz, or LeRoy Washington, or Muhammed Ackbar.
If using a fake name to trick people is now legal, why not go all the way?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Applewood

The simple question is one of whether people who can't read the Constitution or Bill of Rights or so much more which explains the very concept of the United States, should be voting.

I suspect many of them know English, but they just want to force their language on the rest of us.

My grandparents learned English when they came over from the  old country.  They had to, or they couldn't work or otherwise function in the US without it.  But at home they spoke their native language because that was what they were comfortable with.  But they would never think to insist that everything be written or spoken in their language.