Author Topic: Snopes ‘Fact-Checks’ Another Satirical Article Mocking Freshman Democrat  (Read 652 times)

rangerrebew

Snopes ‘Fact-Checks’ Another Satirical Article Mocking Freshman Democrat
Posted By David Rutz On May 10, 2019 @ 11:20 am 

The fact-checking site Snopes has once again put its considerable talents behind debunking a satirical story mocking a freshman House Democrat, in this case Rep. Ilhan Omar (D., Minn.).

The Babylon Bee, a Christian conservative-leaning satire site, went after Omar's repeated anti-Semitism controversies with a story on Monday headlined, "Ilhan Omar: ‘If Israel Is So Innocent, Then Why Do They Insist On Being Jews?'"

When Israel responded with airstrikes to over 600 rockets fired at them from Gaza, many defended this as a justified act of defense. Representative Ilhan Omar lashed out against this view, saying on Twitter about Israel, "If they're so innocent, why are they Jews?"

https://freebeacon.com/politics/snopes-fact-checks-another-satirical-article-mocking-freshman-democrat/

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
The people at Snopes are no geniuses.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I really can't blame them. Yes, it is satire, but I see grandma's almost daily sharing stuff like this on Facebook. At that, I can bet I can find someone on my friends list who shared this article, believing it to be true. And the funny part is, if you tell them it is satire, they will swear up and down it isn't or 'well, it could be true'.

Just go to the comments section on obvious satire pages like America's Last Line of Defense and you'll understand why they have to debunk this stuff.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:46:54 pm by ABX »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
I really can't blame them. Yes, it is satire, but I see grandma's almost daily sharing stuff like this on Facebook. At that, I can bet I can find someone on my friends list who shared this article, believing it to be true. And the funny part is, if you tell them it is satire, they will swear up and down it isn't or 'well, it could be true'.

Just go to the comments section on obvious satire pages like America's Last Line of Defense and you'll understand why they have to debunk this stuff.

On the flip side, how many leftist fools insisted that Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from her house? There will always be those who don't grasp satire -- some willingly, some just because they're dense.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
First of all, the Left has NO sense of humor other than mocking Republicans and Christians usually with vicious vulgarity.

Also, Americans are stupid, and are getting more stupid every decade. All the global educational statistics show this clearly. You would be stunned and shocked to know the percentage of Americans who think the moon is a small sun.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
On the flip side, how many leftist fools insisted that Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from her house? There will always be those who don't grasp satire -- some willingly, some just because they're dense.

Absolutely, it isn't relegated to one side (at that, most have Rose colored glasses and think their's is immune). We are slipping quickly to Idiocracy and everyone is hopping on that sled.

Offline Slide Rule

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Applewood

I was fooled by the Babylon Bee not long ago and I thought I was getting good at spotting satire and fake sites.  So I can't fault Snopes for being tripped up.