Author Topic: Former defense secretary: "Real risk" of Vietnam-like scenario after U.S. pulls out of Afghanistan  (Read 344 times)

rangerrebew

By Grace Segers, Margaret Brennan CBS News May 11, 2019, 1:16 PM
Former defense secretary: "Real risk" of Vietnam-like scenario after U.S. pulls out of Afghanistan

Former Defense Secretary Robert Gates believes there is a "real risk" that if American troops are pulled out of Afghanistan, the Taliban might retake control of the country. He told "Face the Nation" host Margaret Brennan that the U.S. should ensure that the Afghan government is stable before bringing American forces home. There are currently 12,000 U.S. service members stationed there.

"I think that the circumstances under which you bring them home matter. And I think trying to give the Afghan government the best possible shot at survival is really important for the future of Afghanistan," Gates told Brennan. He outlined potential consequences of the Taliban retaking control of the country, particularly the reduction of women's rights.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/former-defense-secretary-there-is-real-risk-in-pulling-out-of-afghanistan-without-a-plan/

Offline Absalom

By Grace Segers, Margaret Brennan CBS News May 11, 2019, 1:16 PM
Former defense secretary: "Real risk" of Vietnam-like scenario after U.S. pulls out of Afghanistan

Former Defense Secretary Robert Gates believes there is a "real risk" that if American troops are pulled out of Afghanistan, the Taliban might retake control of the country. He told "Face the Nation" host Margaret Brennan that the U.S. should ensure that the Afghan government is stable before bringing American forces home. There are currently 12,000 U.S. service members stationed there.

"I think that the circumstances under which you bring them home matter. And I think trying to give the Afghan government the best possible shot at survival is really important for the future of Afghanistan," Gates told Brennan. He outlined potential consequences of the Taliban retaking control of the country, particularly the reduction of women's rights.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/former-defense-secretary-there-is-real-risk-in-pulling-out-of-afghanistan-without-a-plan/
-----------------------------
Predictable strategic horse manure from another bureaucrat
and flunky, the very the essence of the Bush Presidency.
In this world, while some nations mattered in the past, they
no longer do; while others never mattered and never will.
North Korea is one of the latter as is Afghanistan, as
Alexander of Macedon understood quite well.
But our bureaucratic schmucks don't and won't. Why???
Because their reputations matter infinitely more to them
than the national interests of the citizens of the US.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 06:23:44 pm by Absalom »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
What is the military-industrial-diplomatic-intelligence industry going to do now, that they have not done over the last 18 years?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline dfwgator

Sorry, we've been there long enough.  If the Afghans couldn't get their act together in all that time, that's their lookout.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
We have to stay. Or lose our secret underground nuclear submarine bases.

The only reason we are there is to keep F ghanistan the number one opium producing nation in the world. They produce around 85% of The world supply. The Taliban made growing poppies illegal. Our alphabet agencies get $$$billions in the drug trade to run their own black ops. Think they want to lose that?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley