Author Topic: Pentagon approves plan to shift $1.5B for wall along US-Mexico border  (Read 507 times)

Offline libertybele

Little by little...  Roughly getting an additional 80 miles of border wall, for a combined total of 140 miles from the Pentagon.
The combined total of $2.5 billion is in response to President Trump’s declaration of a national emergency at the border.

I love Shanahan's response to criticism "they don't need to get permission from Congress"!

Pentagon approves plan to shift $1.5B for wall along US-Mexico border

The Pentagon has approved a plan to spend an additional $1.5 billion to build 80 more miles of wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, a U.S. defense official confirmed to Fox News Friday.

Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan approved the re-allocation of funds, which were originally earmarked for support of Afghan security forces and other projects, to help pay for the wall along the southern border.........

..........The combined total of $2.5 billion is in response to President Trump’s declaration of a national emergency at the border....

But the plan to divert Pentagon funding has sparked criticism from congressional Democrats, who accused Shanahan of not seeking approval to “reprogram” the funds without congressional authority. Shanahan and other senior defense officials claimed in response they did not have to get permission from Congress despite the objections from Democratic lawmakers...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pentagon-approves-plan-to-shift-1-5b-for-wall-along-us-mexico-border
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

Bit by bit progress is being made!

I recently read that the Ninth Circus recently ruled that it is legal to have people wait in Mexico until their hearing. Also, there seems to be a push being made to empower Border Agents to conduct asylum reviews where they arrest illegals.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

Bit by bit progress is being made!

I recently read that the Ninth Circus recently ruled that it is legal to have people wait in Mexico until their hearing. Also, there seems to be a push being made to empower Border Agents to conduct asylum reviews where they arrest illegals.

Yes, I read that as well and certainly some good news, but there are reports of corruption within the border patrol agency itself which only adds to the problem and unfortunately, the crisis at the border is still out of control and has been for months; the problem is only getting worse.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1uoisVjolU

www.foxnews.com/us/yuma-emergency-humanitarian-crisis-migrant-surge]https://www.foxnews.com/us/yuma-emergency-humanitarian-crisis-migrant-surge[/url]
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 12:31:43 am by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

Yes, I read that as well and certainly some good news, but there are reports of corruption within the border patrol agency itself which only adds to the problem and unfortunately, the crisis at the border is still out of control and has been for months; the problem is only getting worse.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1uoisVjolU

www.foxnews.com/us/yuma-emergency-humanitarian-crisis-migrant-surge]https://www.foxnews.com/us/yuma-emergency-humanitarian-crisis-migrant-surge[/url]

It's frustrating to say the least, but at least Trump keeps pushing forward. I don't think half of what's been done so far would have happened with someone else in the White House. I believe the American people are with Trump on immigration and if he wins in 2020 his agenda will really move ahead because most of it will already have been resolved in the courts.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
bilo wrote:
"It's frustrating to say the least, but at least Trump keeps pushing forward. I don't think half of what's been done so far would have happened with someone else in the White House."

Of course not.
Not a single one of 'em.
And any poster to this forum who would try to tell you otherwise is talkin' through his hat!

Offline libertybele

We'll never know. 

Offline bilo

We'll never know. 

As much as I liked Cruz I don't believe he would have kept fighting the way Trump has. I think Cruz would have seen he couldn't keep the Pubs behind him and would have settled for a compromise. Trump lacked the political savvy to work out a deal and once he was pushed into a corner on immigration he was forced to find ways to get the wall built without Congressional support.

Offline libertybele

As much as I liked Cruz I don't believe he would have kept fighting the way Trump has. I think Cruz would have seen he couldn't keep the Pubs behind him and would have settled for a compromise. Trump lacked the political savvy to work out a deal and once he was pushed into a corner on immigration he was forced to find ways to get the wall built without Congressional support.

I disagree.  Cruz would have known from the onset who he was surrounded with as well as knowing the basic functions of government which would have helped Trump immensely in his beginning days. Even Trump admitted that running a government was different than running a company. Secondly, Cruz several times voiced his concern and his opinion that the GOP majority needed to get the wall built and curtail amnesty; in fact he was very specific about it.  Trump didn't listen. He not only offered DACA amnesty he chose to ignore the very issue that he campaigned on, so much so that he waited until the GOP lost the House majority to make a push.  He then taunts Nancy and Chuck in a meeting and shuts down the government; all as a horse and pony show for his supporters; yes they bought into his rhetoric. He then signs a bill allowing states to opt out of a barrier. Reports of caravans coming in were known long before all of this, yet he did NOTHING.  Again, keep in mind he had a full majority!

Incidentally, the wall is still NOT fully funded or built, nor will it be, because as I mentioned earlier he has allowed states to opt out of a barrier.  The crisis at the border remains out of control ... yet he decides to give Mexico another year to help.

Trump has FAILED bigly on this issue!  As for his political savvy to work out a deal, that's a joke, right?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 04:16:49 pm by libertybele »

Offline bilo

I disagree.  Cruz would have known from the onset who he was surrounded with as well as knowing the basic functions of government which would have helped Trump immensely in his beginning days. Even Trump admitted that running a government was different than running a company. Secondly, Cruz several times voiced his concern and his opinion that the GOP majority needed to get the wall built and curtail amnesty; in fact he was very specific about it.  Trump didn't listen. He not only offered DACA amnesty he chose to ignore the very issue that he campaigned on, so much so that he waited until the GOP lost the House majority to make a push.  He then taunts Nancy and Chuck in a meeting and shuts down the government; all as a horse and pony show for his supporters; yes they bought into his rhetoric. He then signs a bill allowing states to opt out of a barrier. Reports of caravans coming in were known long before all of this, yet he did NOTHING.  Again, keep in mind he had a full majority!

Incidentally, the wall is still NOT fully funded or built, nor will it be, because as I mentioned earlier he has allowed states to opt out of a barrier.  The crisis at the border remains out of control ... yet he decides to give Mexico another year to help.

Trump has FAILED bigly on this issue!  As for his political savvy to work out a deal, that's a joke, right?

I don't think Trump has failed "bigly" on immigration. I would agree he lost a lot of time trying to work with the Rats and establishment Pubs. However, I think he is smarter than people give him credit for and has an incredibly good feel for what most Americans want. Trump's hands have been tied on a lot of things, not just by the Rats but also by a fair number of Chamber of Commerce Pubs. He is pushing ahead with wall construction and is trying to make regulatory changes.

As far as deal making goes you have to have two sides that want to make a deal for it to happen. The Rats have been so hysterical since Trump took office they've made it clear they won't agree to anything. I think Trump has been more than reasonable and the DACA proposal he made was more than fair. The Rats shot it down because they won't give him anything and it included reforms and wall funding.

Offline libertybele

I don't think Trump has failed "bigly" on immigration. I would agree he lost a lot of time trying to work with the Rats and establishment Pubs. However, I think he is smarter than people give him credit for and has an incredibly good feel for what most Americans want. Trump's hands have been tied on a lot of things, not just by the Rats but also by a fair number of Chamber of Commerce Pubs. He is pushing ahead with wall construction and is trying to make regulatory changes.

As far as deal making goes you have to have two sides that want to make a deal for it to happen. The Rats have been so hysterical since Trump took office they've made it clear they won't agree to anything. I think Trump has been more than reasonable and the DACA proposal he made was more than fair. The Rats shot it down because they won't give him anything and it included reforms and wall funding.

DACA = amnesty.  He campaigned on NO amensty.  Got off to a slow start?  No, actually, he waited until the GOP lost the House to make a move.  He FAILED on this and he FAILED bigly.  What we are seeing at the border is a result of his untimely (?) delay!