Author Topic: Here’s how hard the escalating tariff fight will hit the economy  (Read 5733 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Having the US consumer pay 25% more than the rest of the world for steel is not good for the US economy.

It won't be forever .... and patriots will cope.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Everything Rush was saying:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,361562.new.html#new

It's beyond punishing China like a bad little boy in school, it sounded like it is imperative to do for our future.

Offline Hoodat

Buying US made steel is great for the US economy.

Not when it costs 25% more.  It results in a lower standard of living.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Everything Rush was saying:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,361562.new.html#new

It's beyond punishing China like a bad little boy in school, it sounded like it is imperative to do for our future.

As long as you are honest about your motives.  Personally, I think the US economy should come first.  Clearly, quite a few Trump zealots disagree.

As for Rush, he blasted Obama when he placed tariffs on Chinese tires.  Such a shame to see someone surrender his principles so easily.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

It won't be forever .... and patriots will cope.

Considering that only 1% of our steel comes from China, why was it put in place at all?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

So, fair trade and securing military secrets from a global enemy is not best for the US economy?  Interesting worldview you've got there.   :smokin:

Zero trade is fair trade.  Sucks for the economy though.  As for military secrets, not sure how tariffs are going to stop that.  Maybe you can explain how that economic feat will work.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LegalAmerican

China is raising tariffs on $60 billion of US goods starting June 1

Jacob Pramuk     |     13 May 2019

China will raise tariffs on $60 billion in U.S. goods in retaliation for the U.S. decision to hike duties on Chinese goods, the Chinese Finance Ministry said Monday.

Beijing will increase tariffs on more than 5,000 products to as high as 25%. Duties on some other goods will increase to 20%. Those rates will rise from either 10% or 5% previously.

The move follows President Donald Trump’s decision to raise duties on $200 billion in Chinese products to 25% from 10%. The world’s two largest economies have struggled to sign a trade deal and end a widening conflict that threatens to damage the global economy.  .  .  .

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/13/china-is-raising-tariffs-on-60-billion-of-us-goods-starting-june-1.html

Gee, if only someone could have predicted that this would happen?  If only someone could have remembered what happened the last umpteen times this has been tried.  Sadly, we are stuck with a purely Democrat Party mindset that there are no consequences to our actions - a mindset that insists China won't retaliate in any way or fashion when we try to block their goods from being sold in the US.  It is no different from the mindset that raising taxes on high wage earners will result in them working more hours to make up the difference.

In the mean time, the American worker gets screwed just as they did when Obama did the same exact thing.  The only difference now is that we have people cheering that policy on only because Trump is the one doing it.  Bah!

You support Obama ?  Ugh!  Obamas plan was to harm America, not help us, and President TRUMPS plan is a long term one to HELP AMERICA.  If you don't know the difference, you are beyond help.

HERE IS A HELPFUL HINT.  DON'T BUY ANY CRAP MADE IN CHINA!  DUH...problem solved..and helps America. We can live without China.  WWW.MAGAPILL.COM 

Gee, the real illegal, illegitimate fake president born in KENYA! Don't tell me you vote skin? 

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:06:31 pm by LegalAmerican »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Lower for most, higher for a few.  Come on, man, get on the redistribution of wealth train!
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline LegalAmerican

Oh no, this tactic might cost someone some money.

Much better we should continue funding China arms' build up and allowing them to steal our technology.

I agree...Do people EVER think. they don't HAVE to buy anything?  ESP..those items MADE IN CHINA?  DON'T BUY! DON'T SHOP. HUNKER DOWN....DON'T SPEND.   Such an easy solution, and some act like the sky is falling.

Offline Hoodat

You support Obama ?

Uh, no.  Keep in mind that I am not the one here supporting Obama's policy of raising tariffs on China.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Results:  $1.1 billion in higher costs to US consumers resulting in direct loss of 4,000 retail jobs, plus loss of $1 billion in sales due to retaliatory tariffs.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LegalAmerican

Arguing something silly.  DON'T BUY ANYTHING MADE IN CHINA.  So easy.  If the price is too high for you,  DON'T BUY IT!

Offline Hoodat

I agree...Do people EVER think. they don't HAVE to buy anything?  ESP..those items MADE IN CHINA?  DON'T BUY! DON'T SHOP. HUNKER DOWN....DON'T SPEND.   Such an easy solution, and some act like the sky is falling.

Where was the keyboard you are typing on right now made?  The cell phone you communicate with?  The shoes that you wear?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Horse hockey.   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Hoodat

Horse hockey.

Let's say you have a monthly consumer budget of $1,000 Which you use to purchase a list of goods costing $1,000.  But next month, steel prices increase because of tariffs which means that your list now costs $1.050.  But you only have $1,000.  So there is $50 worth of merchandise that you can no longer afford.  Hence your standard of living just decreased since you can no longer buy everything you had purchased the month before.

Even a fifth grader could figure that one out.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Where was the keyboard you are typing on right now made?  The cell phone you communicate with?  The shoes that you wear?

And why exactly are those things currently being made where they are? 

All things being equal, tariffs suck!  In the case of our current trade with China, all things are FAR from equal!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LegalAmerican

President Trump’s not in a tariff war with China, he’s engaging in negotiations to equalize the rates. Trump is no longer going to accept the United States being the world’s patsy. In other words, fair trade not free trade.

The U.S. imports over $450 billion a year from China, at unequal rates that favored China for decades. $60 billion is peanuts. Remember that China imports very little from the US. Whereas, we buy a ton of stuff from them.

As for this move on the part of China to raise tariffs, that’s normal. If there were no gestures like this or other breakdowns in talks, it would mean we’re about to be screwed again—just like in the Iranian deal. Iran got everything and we got nothing thanks to Kerry and Obama’s fecklessness. Nothing like that’s gonna happen under President Trump’s watch. That I can tell you.

NONE of the LEFTS understand do they?  No one has made trade deals like president TRUMP before. Someone mentioned BUSH. GIVE ME BOTH SIDES OF THAT DEAL. President has talked about these bad trade deals for decades. So, America has to be inconvenienced  a bit,  and boy do they squeal...spoiled kids.

Offline LegalAmerican

Let's say you have a monthly consumer budget of $1,000 Which you use to purchase a list of goods costing $1,000.  But next month, steel prices increase because of tariffs which means that your list now costs $1.050.  But you only have $1,000.  So there is $50 worth of merchandise that you can no longer afford.  Hence your standard of living just decreased since you can no longer buy everything you had purchased the month before.

Even a fifth grader could figure that one out.

lol. ONLY a fifth grader would post that! Do you not understand choices?  Having a different plan? NOT BUYING AN ITEM IF IT COSTS TOO MUCH?  Ever hear of making it yourself, make do, or do without!   Oh my gosh. Prices change daily!  How about your car insurance?  Electricity use? Gasoline prices?  I DO live on 1,000 a month!  Give me a break!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Equating Obama and Trump on China may not be an apt comparison, that might be like saying Trump and Obama cut taxes. What does that mean? The situation may not give itself to such simplistic analysis.

OTOH, one can say China has slave labor, China has corruption and so on.

I know Rush was saying China always signs agreements but usually, does not follow through on them, they break promises.

Anyway, no president does every single thing we like. Trump has done some very good things... so if one didn't vote for him, maybe your involvement on that is limited.

So, yes, we will pay higher for some products, dog collars? Oh, the humanity.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,361563.0.html

Offline aligncare

NONE of the LEFTS understand do they?  No one has made trade deals like president TRUMP before. Someone mentioned BUSH. GIVE ME BOTH SIDES OF THAT DEAL. President has talked about these bad trade deals for decades. So, America has to be inconvenienced  a bit,  and boy do they squeal...spoiled kids.

I listen to interviews with Trump from the 1980s on, and he consistently said the same things then that he is saying today as president. I agreed with him then and I agree with him now.

From my perspective, he’s always had the United States’ best interests at heart.

So given the consistency of his message, as president he has earned my trust.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I listen to interviews with Trump from the 1980s on, and he consistently said the same things then that he is saying today as president. I agreed with him then and I agree with him now.

From my perspective, he’s always had the United States’ best interests at heart.

Well said.   :thumbsup:

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

You mean like the times when he said the Reagan tax cuts were the worst thing ever for the economy? How about when he said Reagan was a con man, who couldn’t deliver the goods?  What about serving as an expert witness for a Democratic congressional committee panel? How about later, when he said he was ‘very pro choice?’ Did you agree with him when he said the economy performed better under Democrats and later became one, himself?

FFS....
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Hoodat

lol. ONLY a fifth grader would post that! Do you not understand choices?  Having a different plan? NOT BUYING AN ITEM IF IT COSTS TOO MUCH?  Ever hear of making it yourself, make do, or do without!   Oh my gosh. Prices change daily!  How about your car insurance?  Electricity use? Gasoline prices?  I DO live on 1,000 a month!  Give me a break!

I see that economics is not your strong suit.  If you have to pay more for the same good, then that leaves you less money to purchase everything else.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Anybody read the link on this thread?

The graph below clearly shows China suffers far worse than the US.  It is them that takes it on the chin, and gets far worse the longer it drags on.

If this is high stakes poker, China is betting on a losing hand.

The Chicoms will end this war, and end it quickly.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 03:01:54 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

Anybody read the link on this thread?

The graph below clearly shows China suffers far worse than the US.

The graph below clearly shows that the US suffers.  I really don't give a damn what it does to China.  Envy is for Democrats.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
If this is high stakes poker, China is betting on a losing hand.

The Chicoms will end this war, and end it quickly.

You’re forgetting a couple of things. First, the Chicoms are an authoritarian state who can control the information and blame their internal woes on us. Also, the graph showed the overall effect on the world economy. It doesn’t seem realistic to think everyone else will be fine getting sprayed by this pissing contest, just because China is getting soaked more.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.