Author Topic: Iran Crisis Thread (updates)  (Read 23144 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Iran Crisis Thread (updates)
« Reply #275 on: July 20, 2019, 02:55:06 am »
Cruz and Trump campaigned agaist the Iran nuke deal.

Cruz even mentioned something about uranium enrichment. Rather clear what the central theme here is.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #276 on: July 20, 2019, 03:34:03 am »
Keeping Russia in check is usually a good thing, but as with everything that has to be weighed against how much blood and treasure do we have to invest to do so, and how much of a threat is Russia at this point and in that location?

At least at this point, I'm not accepting without question that we have to keep the peace in the middle east.  Could be the correct course of action, but not without answering the big questions first.

How about the Iranian puppet organization Hezbollah currently being active in Africa, South and Central America as well as in the Middle East.  Is that alright with you as well?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #277 on: July 20, 2019, 04:08:44 am »
What is our interest in this fight?

@Sanguine

On the face of it,our interest lies in keeping the strait open for international shipping in order to keep the oil flowing to the industrial world,and thus keep industries operating and people working. And "Yes,it IS in our best interest to keep other nations productive and profitable,in order for them to have the money to buy our goods and keep our people working.

Beyond that,we have an interest in breaking the control of the Mullahs and stopping all these damn holy wars.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #278 on: July 20, 2019, 09:32:26 am »
Bookmark

Need to read this Monday night
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline thackney

« Reply #279 on: July 20, 2019, 01:54:14 pm »
Nope.  I really wanted an answer.  I'm trying to come to an understanding.

It is in the world's interest to prevent blockage of transit in the Strait of Hormuz.  The disruption of the export of oil would quickly lead to a larger war.  Several countries greatly depend on that export.  Economies would quickly have a large disruption including ours without the flow.  War would be inevitable.  World war would be inevitable if any other countries would join Iran's side.  Some might join just for access to oil.

The Strait of Hormuz is the world's most important oil transit chokepoint
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=39932

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline TomSea

Iran Suggests New ‘Alternative’ Plan To De-escalate Tensions With U.S.
Radio Farda

Iran may be ready to start de-escalating tensions with the West without insisting on the United States returning to the 2015 nuclear deal, according to a new report.

President Hassan Rouhani has sent a message to French President Emmanuelle Macron suggesting an alternative to Macron’s “freeze for freeze” plan to tackle tensions between Tehran and Washington.

Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi is visiting Paris to convey Rouhani’s message to Macron, the conservative Iranian website Alef quoted "an informed source" as saying.

Read more at: https://en.radiofarda.com/a/iran-suggests-new-alternative-plan-to-de-escalate-tensions-with-u-s-/30073048.html

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
No deal.

Offline TomSea

Brazil court orders Petrobras to refuel Iran grain vessels
« Reply #282 on: July 26, 2019, 07:58:43 am »
Brazil court orders Petrobras to refuel Iran grain vessels
Lisandra Paraguassu and Rodrigo Viga Gaier

BRASILIA/RIO DE JANEIRO, July 25 (Reuters) - Brazil’s top court on Thursday ordered state-run oil company Petroleo Brasileiro SA to refuel two Iranian grain vessels stranded on the Brazilian coast due to U.S. sanctions holding up sales of fuel needed for their return trips.

Chief Justice Dias Toffoli overturned a lower court ruling that allowed Petrobras, as the oil major is known, to refrain from fueling the vessels.

Petrobras had denied service, citing the risk of consequences from U.S. sanctions. However, the risk is reduced if it is simply obeying a Supreme Court ruling, said a company source who was not authorized to publicly comment on the matter.

Read more at: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/25/reuters-america-update-1-brazil-court-orders-petrobras-to-refuel-iran-grain-vessels.html

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #283 on: July 26, 2019, 03:24:06 pm »
Shadow force: The secret history of the U.S. intelligence community's battle with Iran's Revolutionary Guard

https://www.yahoo.com/news/shadow-force-the-secret-history-of-the-us-intelligence-communitys-battle-with-irans-revolutionary-guard-090000959.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

Iran test-fires medium-range ballistic missile, US official says
« Reply #284 on: July 26, 2019, 08:31:54 pm »
Iran test-fires medium-range ballistic missile, US official says

Iran successfully test-fired a medium-range ballistic missile Wednesday which flew more than 600 miles from the southern part of the country to an area outside the capital, Tehran, in the north, a U.S. official told Fox News

“We are aware of reports of a projectile launched from Iran, and have no further comment at this time,” a senior administration official told Fox News Thursday evening.

The test of the Shahab-3 comes amid heightened tensions between Tehran and the west.

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/world/iran-test-fires-medium-range-ballistic-missile-us-official

Offline TomSea

Iran Releases 9 Indian Sailors From Seized Tanker
« Reply #285 on: July 26, 2019, 08:37:11 pm »
The seized tanker was the UAE tanker, I remember that some.... and these Indians were working on it.

Iran Releases 9 Indian Sailors From Seized Tanker
By Suhasini Raj

Jul 26, 2019

NEW DELHI — Iran has released nine Indian mariners it had held after seizing a foreign tanker that it claimed was smuggling Iranian oil, the Indian Foreign Ministry said on Friday.

The tanker, the Riah, which is based in the United Arab Emirates but registered in Panama, was seized nearly two weeks ago in the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow waterway through which 20 percent of the world’s oil supply is shipped.

With a simmering conflict pitting Iran against the United States and its gulf allies, the Emirates and Saudi Arabia, the seizure was one of several recent incidents demonstrating how vulnerable that oil flow is to disruption. Iran has also impounded a British tanker, apparently in retaliation for Britain detaining an Iranian tanker at Gibraltar, leading to talk of a potential swap.

Read more at: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/26/world/middleeast/iran-india-oil-tanker.html

Offline TomSea

Iranian cargo ship sinks in Caspian Sea
« Reply #286 on: July 27, 2019, 07:01:57 pm »
Iranian cargo ship sinks in Caspian Sea
By Sara Mazloumsaki, CNN

Updated 1821 GMT (0221 HKT) July 26, 2019
The nine crew members on the Shabahang were rescued, according to Iranian state media.

(CNN)An Iranian cargo ship sank in the Caspian Sea near Azerbaijan's Lankaran port on Friday, according to Iran's state-run news agency IRNA.
The Azerbaijan State Maritime Administration said it received a distress signal from an Iranian cargo ship near the port after it had been involved in an accident.
The crew of the Shabahang ship was pleading for help, saying, "we are sinking, we are sinking," according to IRNA reporting.

The Shabahang, which was carrying a shipment of tiles, was en route from Anzali port, in Iran, to Makhachkala, in Russia, when it crashed in an area about 23 miles from Astara port, in Azerbaijan.

Read more at: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/26/middleeast/iran-cargo-ship-sinks-intl/

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Iranian cargo ship sinks in Caspian Sea
« Reply #287 on: July 27, 2019, 07:08:28 pm »
Could that be a warning?

Kind of a "see what can happen?"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

Iran Says Europe 'Obliged' to Let It Sell and Ship Oil
« Reply #288 on: July 31, 2019, 11:21:09 am »
Iran Says Europe 'Obliged' to Let It Sell and Ship Oil
by Naharnet Newsdesk

Iran said Wednesday that European nations still party to the 2015 nuclear deal are "obliged" to allow it to sell and ship oil, amid a standoff with Britain over the seizure of tankers.

The deal over Iran's nuclear programme has begun to unravel since President Donald Trump announced the United States was withdrawing from the agreement last year and reimposing sanctions.

Iran has been pushing the European parties to the deal -- Britain, France and Germany -- to adhere to their commitments under the agreement despite US pressure.

Read more at: http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/263273-iran-says-europe-obliged-to-let-it-sell-and-ship-oil

Offline thackney

Re: Iran Says Europe 'Obliged' to Let It Sell and Ship Oil
« Reply #289 on: July 31, 2019, 11:58:51 am »
What deal?

Iran breaks nuclear deal enrichment targets for second time
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/06/iran-to-enrich-uranium-in-further-breach-of-nuclear-deal
7 Jul 2019

TONS OF URANIUM SINCE SIGNING NUCLEAR DEAL
https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Iran-enriched-24-tons-of-enriched-uranium-since-signing-nuclear-deal-597039
JULY 30, 2019

Iran's Uranium Enrichment Breaks Nuclear Deal Limit. Here's What That Means
https://www.npr.org/2019/07/07/738902822/irans-uranium-enrichment-breaks-nuclear-deal-limit-here-s-what-that-means
July 7, 2019
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline TomSea

With Missiles More Accurate Than Hezbollah's, Iran Entrenchment in Iraq Threatens Israel
Reports Tuesday credited Israel with earlier attacks on Iranian targets in Iraq â–  Israeli intelligence says Iran is providing Iraqi militias with missiles more accurate than Hezbollah's, capable of hitting anywhere in Israel
Yaniv Kubovich   Aug 01, 2019 10:38 AM

Iran’s military entrenchment in Iraq poses a threat to Israel, defense officials say.

Iran began bolstering its presence in Iraq after Israel stepped up attacks on Iranian targets in Syria and Syrian President Bashar Assad regained control over most of his country. Israel’s efforts to thwart Iran’s attempts to bring sophisticated weaponry and air and naval forces into Syria led Tehran to revert to its old method of relying on local militias, which is harder for Israel to counter.

Israel’s intelligence assessment for 2019 states that despite Iran’s difficulties in entrenching itself militarily in Syria, it hasn’t given up on its ambition “to create regional hegemony for itself via alliances spreading from Iran through Iraq and Syria to Lebanon.” Nevertheless, the assessment continued: “Iran has been forced to recalculate the way it tries to realize its regional vision. This recalculation led Iran to realize that the domestic and international situation in Iraq created better opportunities for it to prepare its regional plans.”

Read more at: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-iran-missiles-hezbollah-in-iraq-threaten-israel-1.7606916

Offline TomSea

U.S. levies sanctions against Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif
« Reply #291 on: August 01, 2019, 10:25:25 am »
U.S. levies sanctions against Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif
By  Danielle Haynes
Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif said he's not concerned about the sanctions because he has no interests outside Iran. File Photo by Miguel Gutierrez/EPA-EFE

July 31 (UPI) -- The U.S. Treasury on Wednesday imposed sanctions on Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif for working on behalf of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

The Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control said it targeted Zarif because of his work for Khamenei, whom himself was a target of U.S. sanctions in June.

"Javad Zarif implements the reckless agenda of Iran's Supreme Leader, and is the regime's primary spokesperson around the world. The United States is sending a clear message to the Iranian regime that its recent behavior is completely unacceptable," Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said. "At the same time the Iranian regime denies Iranian citizens' access to social media, Foreign Minister Javad Zarif spreads the regime's propaganda and disinformation around the world through these mediums."

Read more at: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2019/07/31/US-levies-sanctions-against-Iranian-Foreign-Minister-Javad-Zarif/8201564611208/

He seems to be the 2nd most important figure in Iran and I take it, the one Kerry and all negotiated with primarily over the nuke deal.

His twitter: https://twitter.com/JZarif

Outside of my expertise but if people are interested in negating that Iran deal, he's one to watch.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 10:26:42 am by TomSea »

Offline edpc

« Reply #292 on: August 01, 2019, 01:29:30 pm »
Team Trump Turns to Lindsey Graham to Cut an Iran Deal

“I told the president: Put the 123 on the table with the Iranians. Make them say ‘no,’” Graham told The Daily Beast. “I think the Iranians will say no. And I think that will force the Europeans’ hands.”

The U.S. should also require Iran to sign on to the “gold standard,” a pledge not to enrich and reprocess nuclear fuel, Graham said. Enrichment and reprocessing are key steps on the way to a nuclear weapon.

“If countries want to have their own nuclear industry, that’s fine. I’m not against that. But countries can do that without enrichment and reprocessing, without making their own fuel,” Graham said. “The problem the Trump administration has is how do you make a flawed deal better? We need to extend a new deal that cannot be manipulated in the future. If the [State Department] has a better plan, then fine, but I think this is a good option.”

Graham said all countries in the Middle East should agree to both 123 Agreements and the “gold standard.” “It’s reasonable for the entire region,” he said. “Except for Israel. I’m not talking about Israel. They’re in their own sort of… category.”

https://news.yahoo.com/team-trump-turns-lindsey-graham-120055056.html?messageId=65a029a6-7baa-4d69-b6b4-fa2a8058c5ca&replyId=2739ee04-2e0e-416a-8128-d5c28e3ade44&bcmt=1&.tsrc=bell-canvass

That last part makes it an impossible sell.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #293 on: August 01, 2019, 02:06:55 pm »
Team Trump Turns to Lindsey Graham to Cut an Iran Deal

“I told the president: Put the 123 on the table with the Iranians. Make them say ‘no,’” Graham told The Daily Beast. “I think the Iranians will say no. And I think that will force the Europeans’ hands.”

The U.S. should also require Iran to sign on to the “gold standard,” a pledge not to enrich and reprocess nuclear fuel, Graham said. Enrichment and reprocessing are key steps on the way to a nuclear weapon.

“If countries want to have their own nuclear industry, that’s fine. I’m not against that. But countries can do that without enrichment and reprocessing, without making their own fuel,” Graham said. “The problem the Trump administration has is how do you make a flawed deal better? We need to extend a new deal that cannot be manipulated in the future. If the [State Department] has a better plan, then fine, but I think this is a good option.”

Graham said all countries in the Middle East should agree to both 123 Agreements and the “gold standard.” “It’s reasonable for the entire region,” he said. “Except for Israel. I’m not talking about Israel. They’re in their own sort of… category.”

https://news.yahoo.com/team-trump-turns-lindsey-graham-120055056.html?messageId=65a029a6-7baa-4d69-b6b4-fa2a8058c5ca&replyId=2739ee04-2e0e-416a-8128-d5c28e3ade44&bcmt=1&.tsrc=bell-canvass

That last part makes it an impossible sell.

No piece of paper is going to work if there is no inspection regime in place (the real kind, not the Hans Blix kind).  No "trust" without "verify."  That's always been the problem, and that's not changing any time soon.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #294 on: August 01, 2019, 02:08:55 pm »
No piece of paper is going to work if there is no inspection regime in place (the real kind, not the Hans Blix kind).  No "trust" without "verify."  That's always been the problem, and that's not changing any time soon.

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

« Reply #295 on: August 01, 2019, 02:48:07 pm »

Well, unfortunately, a lot of this is probably irrelevant, thanks to this crew....

When you combine The Agreed Framework and Operation Merlin, plus the decades long cooperation between North Korea and Iran, you’ve got two new nuclear powers. We’re working backwards, at this point.

I’ve got no problem with Israel being a nuclear power. They’re in a region where they’re outnumbered and among hostile neighbors. Also, they never signed the NPT. However, you can’t begin your opening round saying they’re exempt. Nobody in their right mind would give up their weapons and allow their adversary to keep theirs.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 02:49:05 pm by edpc »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #296 on: August 01, 2019, 02:54:10 pm »

Well, unfortunately, a lot of this is probably irrelevant, thanks to this crew....

When you combine The Agreed Framework and Operation Merlin, plus the decades long cooperation between North Korea and Iran, you’ve got two new nuclear powers. We’re working backwards, at this point.

I’ve got no problem with Israel being a nuclear power. They’re in a region where they’re outnumbered and among hostile neighbors. Also, they never signed the NPT. However, you can’t begin your opening round saying they’re exempt. Nobody in their right mind would give up their weapons and allow their adversary to keep theirs.

Quite right.  Either major changes come to those two God-forsaken countries leadership or they are going to be on the losing end of a brutal exchange.  There will be lots of collateral damage and a significant reordering of the world, to be sure, but they will lose.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #297 on: August 01, 2019, 02:59:09 pm »

The word "Treason"  was invented for people like those in that picture.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

« Reply #298 on: August 01, 2019, 04:35:23 pm »
For now, I'll sweep all of my "Iran" stories into this one general thread, others' threads can stay until the weekend.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #299 on: August 04, 2019, 09:48:20 am »
@TomSea

Breaking now,

State TV quoted by Reuters said the Revolutionary Guard Corps' naval forces had "seized a foreign tanker in the Persian Gulf that was smuggling fuel for some Arab countries".
It said the tanker was carrying 700,000l of fuel, adding that seven sailors had been detained.
The reported incident comes amid high tension after the US tightened sanctions on Iran's oil sector.
The sanctions were reimposed after Washington's unilateral withdrawal from a landmark 2015 nuclear deal.
Last month Iran seized British-flagged tanker the Stena Impero in the Strait of Hormuz, saying it had collided with a fishing vessel.
Also, the US has blamed Iran for two separate attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman in May and June - an allegation Tehran has denied.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49225916
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️