Author Topic: Iran Crisis Thread (updates)  (Read 23147 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Iran Crisis Thread (updates)
« Reply #250 on: July 08, 2019, 12:31:59 pm »
U.S. sent message to Iran after drone downing, warning of limited strike - Iranian official

DUBAI (Reuters) - The United States conveyed a message to Iran warning of a limited strike against the country after its unmanned drone was shot down in the Gulf, Iran’s civil defense agency chief was quoted as saying by the Fars news agency on Sunday.

“After the downing of its intruding drone, the United States told us through diplomatic intermediaries that it wanted to carry out a limited operation,” said Gholamreza Jalali, who is also a senior commander of Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guards.

“But Iran’s response was that we regard every operation as the beginning of a war.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-iran-usa-drone-idUSKCN1U2056

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #251 on: July 19, 2019, 04:40:57 am »
TAKING ON TEHRAN US ‘to deploy 500 troops to expanding Saudi Arabian air base’ to front-up to Iran threat
Neal Baker, US Digital News Editor
18 Jul 2019, 3:30Updated: 18 Jul 2019, 10:24

THE US is preparing to send 500 troops to Saudi Arabia to front up to the growing Iran threat, it was reported last night.

They will be deployed to a remote base east of the Saudi capital Riyadh, according to two US defence officials.

The move will fortify the growing Prince Sultan Air Base - which is being heavily built-up with a Patriot missile defence battery and an improved runway, CNN reported.

Read more at: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9530486/us-deploy-troops-saudi-arabia-iran-tensions/

It's the Sun, so a bit of caution with their reporting.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 04:42:04 am by TomSea »

Offline edpc

« Reply #252 on: July 19, 2019, 06:40:03 pm »
Iran says it has captured a British oil tanker

Stena Bulk and Northern Marine Management can confirm that at approximately 1600 BST on 19th July UK registered vessel Stena Impero (built 2018, 49,683 DWT) was approached by unidentified small crafts and a helicopter during transit of the Strait of Hormuz while the vessel was in international waters. We are presently unable to contact the vessel which is now heading north towards Iran.

There are 23 seafarers aboard. There have been no reported injuries and their safety is of primary concern to both owners and managers. The priority of both vessel owner Stena Bulk and ship manager Northern Marine Management is the safety and welfare of the crew.
Northern Marine Management has not been able to establish contact directly with the vessel since it was notified of the incident at approximately 1600 Today, 19th July 2019.

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/iran-british-tanker-july-2019/index.html

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #253 on: July 19, 2019, 07:26:49 pm »
Iran says it has captured a British oil tanker

@edpc

Nobody has ever accused the Mullahs of being clever.

Gee,I wonder how this is going to work out for them?

UPDATE! Right after I posted this I realized I was thinking about it from the POV of a reasonable person,not the Mullahs that need to keep the backwards retards they rule riled up and feeling like victims. Chances are some of the population in Iran is starting to give the Mullahs some worries,so they came up with this in order to invite air-attacks and get the retards behind them again.

Just guessing,though. I know nothing about what is going on in Iran. It's either that,or the Mullahs really are crazier than rabid rats.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 07:31:28 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #254 on: July 19, 2019, 07:32:11 pm »
I would be telling them that they have four hours to evacuate their refinery before it is bombed. But not telling which one.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #255 on: July 19, 2019, 07:43:46 pm »
Looks like the Mullahs now have two Brit tankers.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline thackney

« Reply #256 on: July 19, 2019, 07:47:16 pm »
Second UK oil tanker seized by Iran
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/second-uk-oil-tanker-reportedly-seized-by-iran

A second tanker owned by a United Kingdom-based company was seized by Iran on Friday, further ratcheting up tensions in the region.

After Iran’s Revolutionary Guards claimed they seized a British oil tanker, the Stena Impero, a U.S. official confirmed that a second ship, the Liberian-flagged MV Mesdar, was also seized in the Strait of Hormuz within two hours.

Despite being flagged out of Liberia, the oil tanker is owned by Norbulk Shipping, which is based out of the U.K....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline edpc

« Reply #257 on: July 19, 2019, 07:57:44 pm »
There obviously poking anyone they can with a stick, so they can externalize the problem. Once someone retaliates, they can try to galvanize the nation around the ‘foreign problem.’

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #258 on: July 19, 2019, 08:00:18 pm »
American warship destroys Iranian drone in Strait of Hormuz

Navy Times by  Darlene Superville and Robert Burns 7/18/2019

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-military/2019/07/18/trump-says-american-warship-destroyed-iranian-drone/

A U.S. warship on Thursday destroyed an Iranian drone in the Strait of Hormuz after it threatened the ship, President Donald Trump said. The incident marked a new escalation of tensions between the countries less than one month after Iran downed an American drone in the same waterway and Trump came close to retaliating with a military strike.

In remarks at the White House, Trump blamed Iran for a “provocative and hostile” action and said the U.S. responded in self-defense. Iran’s foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, told reporters as he arrived for a meeting at the United Nations that “we have no information about losing a drone today.”

The clash in one of the busiest waterways for international oil traffic highlighted the risk of war between two countries at odds over a wide range of issues. After Trump pulled the United States out of the Iran nuclear deal last year and imposed additional economic sanctions, the Iranians have pushed back on the military front, allegedly sabotaging Saudi and other oil tankers in the Gulf, shooting down a U.S. drone on June 20 and stepping up support for Houthi rebels in Yemen.

Adding to the economic pressure on Tehran, the Treasury Department said Thursday it was imposing sanctions on what it called a network of front companies and agents involved in helping Iran buy sensitive materials for its nuclear program. It said the targeted individuals and entities are based in Iran, China and Belgium.

Trump said the Navy’s amphibious assault ship Boxer took defensive action after the Iranian aircraft closed to within 1,000 yards of the ship and ignored multiple calls to stand down.

“The United States reserves the right to defend our personnel, facilities and interests and calls upon all nations to condemn Iran’s attempts to disrupt freedom of navigation and global commerce,” Trump said.

The Pentagon said the incident happened at 10 a.m. local time Thursday in international waters while the Boxer was transiting the waterway to enter the Persian Gulf. The Boxer is among several U.S. Navy ships in the area, including the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln that has been operating in the nearby North Arabian Sea for weeks.

More at link.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #259 on: July 19, 2019, 08:00:24 pm »
There obviously poking anyone they can with a stick, so they can externalize the problem. Once someone retaliates, they can try to galvanize the nation around the ‘foreign problem.’

@edpc

Yup! It's all about holding power. If people have to die to keep the Mullahs in charge,so be it,
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #260 on: July 19, 2019, 08:50:29 pm »
Not good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #261 on: July 19, 2019, 08:58:12 pm »
@edpc

Yup! It's all about holding power. If people have to die to keep the Mullahs in charge,so be it,

:yowsa:  The Mullahs don't give one hoot in hell how many people have to die, their own people included, to keep them ruling things in Iran.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #262 on: July 20, 2019, 12:21:36 am »
If I were Trump, they would be given an ultimatum, return the tankers or lose your navy.

Theri navy should have been sunk long ago.  What they are doing is not a whole lot different than Somali pirates!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #263 on: July 20, 2019, 01:36:20 am »

Here's the heavy US and UK naval firepower ready near Iran if the tanker tensions boil over

Alex Lockie
4h

Iran on Friday said it seized a British-owned oil tanker and its crew amid reports it diverted a second British tanker toward Iran in a clear message to the UK and the US that it's willing to get aggressive in a feud over oil sanctions.
    The UK and US both have warships in the region that have proven their mettle in backing down Iranian threats.
    It's unclear if the US or UK will attempt a rescue mission, but with two aircraft carriers, US destroyers, and a UK frigate in the region, any escalation could lead to a massive naval conflict.
    Visit INSIDER's homepage for more stories.

Iran on Friday said it seized a British oil tanker and its crew amid reports it diverted a second tanker toward Iran within hours of the seizure in a clear message to the UK and the US that it's willing to get aggressive in a feud over oil sanctions. But it may soon have to contend with heavy US and UK naval firepower already in the region.

The US sent its USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier and attached strike group to the region in May. This represents the world's most potent unit of naval power, with the aircraft carrier's formidable air wing, a cruiser, four destroyers, and support ships.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-uk-navy-ships-active-near-iran-after-tanker-seizures-2019-7
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline edpc

« Reply #264 on: July 20, 2019, 01:43:34 am »
If I were Trump, they would be given an ultimatum, return the tankers or lose your navy.

Theri navy should have been sunk long ago.  What they are doing is not a whole lot different than Somali pirates!

There’s no question they are overmatched. The problem is, they are spoiling for a fight, so they can blame outsiders on the internal conditions, caused by decades of mullah rule.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #265 on: July 20, 2019, 01:50:25 am »
Looks like the Mullahs now have two Brit tankers.

@txradioguy
Are you at all confident that Pres. Trump can make short work of Iran, figuring we'll have Israel, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Britain as a coalition?

(Not a trick question, sir)   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #266 on: July 20, 2019, 01:52:41 am »
What is our interest in this fight?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #267 on: July 20, 2019, 02:04:16 am »

We have an interest in the stability of the region and there will be none for so long as the Mullahs rule Iran.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #268 on: July 20, 2019, 02:09:46 am »

I don't see it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #269 on: July 20, 2019, 02:10:29 am »
We have an interest in the stability of the region and there will be none for so long as the Mullahs rule Iran.

Give me more than that.  Why do we have an interest in the stability of the region and if we do, how deep does that interest go?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #270 on: July 20, 2019, 02:12:27 am »
Our main interest is that they don't get nuclear weapons and become something like NK...Israel surely would bomb them first.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #271 on: July 20, 2019, 02:13:11 am »
Give me more than that.  Why do we have an interest in the stability of the region and if we do, how deep does that interest go?

Sorry.  No book writing tonight.  If you  can't see it,  nothing I might say is going to convince you.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #272 on: July 20, 2019, 02:17:31 am »
Sorry.  No book writing tonight.  If you  can't see it,  nothing I might say is going to convince you.

Nope.  I really wanted an answer.  I'm trying to come to an understanding. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #273 on: July 20, 2019, 02:21:47 am »
Nope.  I really wanted an answer.  I'm trying to come to an understanding.

Would you care to see the entire Middle East  in the Russian sphere of influence?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #274 on: July 20, 2019, 02:34:48 am »
Would you care to see the entire Middle East  in the Russian sphere of influence?

Keeping Russia in check is usually a good thing, but as with everything that has to be weighed against how much blood and treasure do we have to invest to do so, and how much of a threat is Russia at this point and in that location?

At least at this point, I'm not accepting without question that we have to keep the peace in the middle east.  Could be the correct course of action, but not without answering the big questions first.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 02:36:51 am by Sanguine »