Author Topic: Iran Crisis Thread (updates)  (Read 23423 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Iran Crisis Thread (updates)
« Reply #200 on: June 22, 2019, 12:44:52 pm »
Pentagon secretly struck back against Iranian cyberspies targeting U.S. ships

WASHINGTON — On Thursday evening, U.S. Cyber Command launched a retaliatory digital strike against an Iranian spy group that supported last week’s limpet mine attacks on commercial ships, according to two former intelligence officials.

The group, which has ties to the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, has over the past several years digitally tracked and targeted military and civilian ships passing through the economically important Strait of Hormuz, through which pass 17.4 million barrels of oil per day. Those capabilities, which have advanced over time, enabled attacks on vessels in the region for several years.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pentagon-secretly-struck-back-against-iranian-cyber-spies-targeting-us-ships-234520824.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #201 on: June 22, 2019, 04:11:51 pm »
Trump made exactly the right decision on this one, and in my view it was a decision from strength, not a decision from vacillation or weakness. 

If he can just capitalize on this, it moves the US agenda forward.

@Bill Cipher

I agree.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

“Iran’s efforts to use surrogates to attack Saudi Arabia and destabilize the region needs to be countered,” he said.

@TomSea

I am reasonably sure that is a mis-quote,and he meant to write "encouraged" instead of "countered".

The Sauds are Nazi's with oil money and allies,and that's the best thing that can be said about them. They are a plague upon the earth.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #203 on: June 22, 2019, 04:37:53 pm »
The Mullahs in control of the Iranian government is THE problem in the Middle East and has been since 1979.  For so long as they retain that control there will never be any peace in that region and, for that matter, the world.

You can thank JiMuh CAATA!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 04:39:33 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #204 on: June 22, 2019, 05:09:25 pm »
The Mullahs in control of the Iranian government is THE problem in the Middle East and has been since 1979.  For so long as they retain that control there will never be any peace in that region and, for that matter, the world.

You can thank JiMuh CAATA!

I've been convinced of that since, oh, about 1978 or so.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #205 on: June 22, 2019, 05:16:47 pm »
I've been convinced of that since, oh, about 1978 or so.

Good! Because it is what's known as a FACT!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

« Reply #206 on: June 22, 2019, 05:36:05 pm »
Good! Because it is what's known as a FACT!

If you really want to blame someone for the current state of Iran, go back to Allen Dulles.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Iran executes man on charges of spying for US
« Reply #207 on: June 22, 2019, 06:09:13 pm »
Iran executes man on charges of spying for US
    22 June 2019

Iran has executed a former defence ministry employee on charges of spying for the US, state media report.

Jalal Hajizavar was convicted by a military court after spying equipment and documents were found at his home, according to the IRIB news agency.

He reportedly worked as a contractor for the defence ministry's aerospace organisation but left the role nine years ago.

It comes at a time of escalating tensions between the US and Iran.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-48732143?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #208 on: June 22, 2019, 07:49:32 pm »

If you really want to blame someone for the current state of Iran, go back to Allen Dulles.

Isn't that an air field somewhere?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

« Reply #209 on: June 22, 2019, 08:08:05 pm »
Isn't that an air field somewhere?

It is, but it’s named after a different guy.

Offline edpc

« Reply #210 on: June 23, 2019, 10:37:48 pm »
Pence says US 'not convinced' downing of US drone by Iran 'was authorized at the highest levels'

Washington (CNN) — Vice President Mike Pence on Sunday reiterated President Donald Trump's claim that there are doubts the order to shoot down a US drone by Iran was made at the highest levels.

"The President also had doubts as to whether or not the downing of our unmanned aircraft was actually authorized at the highest levels," Pence told CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union."

Pence said, "We're not convinced that it was authorized at the highest levels," and told Tapper he would not speak about the intelligence the US has related to the incident.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/23/politics/mike-pence-iran-us-drone-not-convinced-highest-levels/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

Rouhani has been giving statements on this and insisted the drone was in Iranian airspace. They’re not walking anything back.

Offline TomSea

Iran is boxing itself into a corner by provoking the US (Carafano)
« Reply #211 on: June 24, 2019, 03:49:22 am »
James Jay Carafano is with the Heritage Foundation, so this is likely better than usual analysis, we have discussed Mr. Carafano before.
Iran is boxing itself into a corner by provoking the US
By James Jay Carafano
June 20, 2019 | 10:00pm

Here is Tehran’s conundrum: They just want to wait President Trump out, but they live in a tough neighborhood. If you are not threatening your neighbors, you are on the menu. They want to make trouble in the Gulf, but not provoke World War III.

Trump beat them to the punch, putting a military force with real muscle in the region. Tehran continues to struggle with how to push back.

So on Thursday, they shot down an unmanned Global Hawk reconnaissance drone from the United States. They said it was in their airspace. Well, Global Hawk doesn’t have to fly in their airspace to do its mission. And Global Hawks don’t get lost. So … they’re lying.

Read more at: https://nypost.com/2019/06/20/iran-is-boxing-itself-into-a-corner-by-provoking-the-us/

I think Carafano's last posted article here was that one, "Trump gets an F on Libya", so he's not an echo chamber pro-Trump type.

Offline TomSea

Pompeo seeks "global coalition" against Iran
« Reply #212 on: June 24, 2019, 03:57:14 am »
Pompeo seeks a "global coalition" against Iran as he heads to the Middle East

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Sunday he wants to "build out a global coalition" against Iran, after a week that saw Washington on the brink of launching military action against Tehran.

Details: Pompeo made the comments as he prepared to fly to Saudi Arabia and then the United Arab Emirates to discuss with leaders there "the challenge that Iran presents," he said. Pompeo outlined his goals for a coalition "not only throughout the Gulf states but in Asia and in Europe that understands this challenge and that is prepared to push back against the world’s largest state sponsor of terror."

Continued at: https://www.axios.com/pompeo-seeks-global-coalition-against-iran-c0cb06ff-38f4-4d93-b2eb-5e01c70348a6.html

Offline TomSea

US 'launched cyber-attack on Iran weapons systems'
« Reply #213 on: June 24, 2019, 11:03:32 am »
US 'launched cyber-attack on Iran weapons systems'

The US launched a cyber-attack on Iranian weapons systems on Thursday as President Trump pulled out of air strikes on the country, US reports say.

The cyber-attack disabled computer systems controlling rocket and missile launchers, the Washington Post said.

It was in retaliation for the shooting down of a US drone as well as attacks on oil tankers that the US has blamed Iran for, the New York Times said.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48735097

Offline edpc

« Reply #214 on: June 24, 2019, 05:02:59 pm »
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday signed an executive order that would impose fresh sanctions on Iran, amid increased tensions between the long-time foes.

Trump initially told reporters the sanctions, which will target Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and his office, were in response to Tehran's downing of a U.S. drone last week. Tehran has said the drone was flying in its airspace, which Washington has denied.

Later, Trump said the sanctions would have been imposed regardless of the incident over the drone.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-fresh-u-sanctions-155420794.html

While Trump called the sanctions a "strong and proportionate response," neither he nor Mnuchin would offer exact details about what the retaliation was for. Trump said, "this was something that was going to happen anyway."

Mnuchin said "some of this was in the works, some of this was a result of recent activities. I'm not going to identify which is which."

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/24/politics/trump-iran-sanctions/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 05:08:20 pm by edpc »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #215 on: June 24, 2019, 06:15:40 pm »
Global coalitions...attack...then not attack....sanctions...cyber attacks...worries about 150 Iranian military people getting killed...this kind of confusion and lack of a coherent plan to stop the interference by the Iranians will only encourage them to be more bold on their next round of attacks.

They're laughing at us right now.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #216 on: June 24, 2019, 11:11:35 pm »
Global coalitions...attack...then not attack....sanctions...cyber attacks...worries about 150 Iranian military people getting killed...this kind of confusion and lack of a coherent plan to stop the interference by the Iranians will only encourage them to be more bold on their next round of attacks.

They're laughing at us right now.

@txradioguy

Who cares? The purpose of this was to disarm the Dims so they can't stick a knife in his back later on when he does retaliate.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #217 on: June 24, 2019, 11:28:29 pm »
@txradioguy

Who cares? The purpose of this was to disarm the Dims so they can't stick a knife in his back later on when he does retaliate.

And yet the Dims aren't disarmed...are they? 

They will try and stick a knife in the back of any Republican president...this isn't exclusive to Trump.

He had a chance to send a clear signal to knock it off...and like with the deportations...he blinked.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #218 on: June 24, 2019, 11:38:29 pm »
CLAP BACK: Trump Slams Iran With New ‘Hard-Hitting’ Sanctions
by Joseph Curl June 24, 2019

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/06/clap-back-trump-slams-iran-with-new-hard-hitting-sanctions/

President Trump on Monday slapped Iran by issuing new “hard-hitting” financial sanctions
 against Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and his associates in Iran.

Trump said he’s showing “restraint” with the new sanctions.

“We will continue to increase pressure on Tehran until the regime abandons its dangerous activities and its aspirations including the pursuit of nuclear weapons, increased enrichment of uranium, development of ballistic missiles, engagement in and support for terrorism, fueling of foreign conflicts, and belligerent acts directed against the United States and its allies,” Trump said. ““Never can Iran have a nuclear weapon. We do not seek conflict with Iran or any other country. I think a lot of restraint has been shown by us, but that doesn’t mean we’re going to show it in the future.”

Trump also said the sanctions came about because of the drone attack.

More at link.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #219 on: June 24, 2019, 11:41:28 pm »
Excellent!!!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #220 on: June 25, 2019, 03:06:20 am »
And yet the Dims aren't disarmed...are they? 

@txradioguy

Not yet,and the support they receive from people like you helps them.

Offline TomSea

Beyond maximum pressure: An interview with Iran expert Michael Pregent
« Reply #221 on: June 25, 2019, 03:22:09 am »
Beyond maximum pressure: An interview with Iran expert Michael Pregent | JNS.org
(June 24, 2019 / Wikistrat)

Following the recent attacks in the Persian Gulf, U.S.-Iran tensions seem to be escalating on a weekly basis. Last week, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) warned Iran of a potential “overwhelming” U.S. military response should it continue with its provocations, while Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) said military strikes were already warranted.

To get a deeper insight into U.S. policy options, Wikistrat sat down with Hudson Institute senior fellow and former U.S. intelligence officer Michael Pregent. The following is an excerpt from that interview:

Q: Welcome, Mike, to Wikistrat’s Insights interview series. Thank you for taking time to join us. I want to ask you about the impact of the Trump administration’s maximum pressure campaign against Iran and how it relates to the latest escalation we have seen in the Gulf of Oman in the past week or so.

A: The maximum pressure campaign is working. The Iranian economy is suffering, but it was suffering before we left the JCPOA [the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action or 2015 nuclear deal]. It was suffering before we left the Iran deal. It was already being mismanaged by the regime.

Read more at: https://www.jns.org/beyond-maximum-pressure/

Per Wendy's account, helpful lady:   https://twitter.com/Acho_Wendy

Offline TomSea

Breaking: Moscow says downed US drone was in Iranian airspace
« Reply #222 on: June 25, 2019, 10:40:45 am »
Moscow says downed US drone was in Iranian airspace

The US drone shot down by Tehran last week was in Iranian airspace, the head of Russia’s Security Council said Tuesday, despite US claims to the contrary.

More: https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2019/06/25/Moscow-says-downed-US-drone-was-in-Iranian-airspace.html

Predictable that they will say the opposite of us.

Offline edpc

Re: Breaking: Moscow says downed US drone was in Iranian airspace
« Reply #223 on: June 25, 2019, 12:49:31 pm »
Depending on the position, it’s possible. At its narrowest, the strait is 21 miles wide. With claims of 12 miles for territorial waters and airspace, there would be some disputed overlap, between Iran and Oman.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Breaking: Moscow says downed US drone was in Iranian airspace
« Reply #224 on: June 25, 2019, 04:00:06 pm »
Depending on the position, it’s possible. At its narrowest, the strait is 21 miles wide. With claims of 12 miles for territorial waters and airspace, there would be some disputed overlap, between Iran and Oman.

Complicated by the likelihood Iran has a different definition about what's their airspace.  I remember back in the 80's Libya tried to declare almost the entire Mediterranean their airspace, then tried the "line of death" crap.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: