Author Topic: Iran Crisis Thread (updates)  (Read 23554 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Taliban claimed an attack on U.S. forces. Pompeo blamed Iran.
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2019, 02:04:32 am »
I'm a bit skeptical of this report per Washington Post:

The Taliban claimed an attack on U.S. forces. Pompeo blamed Iran.
By Siobhán O'Grady
June 16 at 4:15 PM

On May 31, a suicide bomber targeted a U.S. convoy in eastern Kabul, killing four Afghan passersby and slightly wounding four U.S. servicemen and at least three civilians.

At the time, the Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, with spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid telling the Associated Press in a phone interview that 10 U.S. troops were killed — a common exaggeration for the militant group.

But two weeks later, amid growing animosity between Washington and Tehran, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo pointed to the Kabul bombing as an example of one “in a series of attacks instigated by the Islamic Republic of Iran and its surrogates against American and allied interests.”

Read more at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/06/15/taliban-claimed-an-attack-us-forces-pompeo-blamed-iran/?utm_term=.07bb4b83d737

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Tom Cotton calls for "retaliatory military strike" on Iran over oil tanker attacks

Too harsh of an assessment for me. He's been over there, so, maybe he's right but I disagree.

I disagree with the Senator from AR.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

Trump’s Iran Crackdown Isn't Enough to Stop Hezbollah
« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2019, 02:19:48 am »
Trump’s Iran Crackdown Isn't Enough to Stop Hezbollah
Emanuele Ottolenghi

Hezbollah is reportedly feeling the pain of U.S. President Donald Trump administration’s maximum-pressure campaign against Iran. Tehran, after all, contributes about $700 million to the U.S.-designated terrorist group’s estimated yearly budget of approximately $1 billion. As sanctions squeeze Tehran, less money is supposedly flowing to Hezbollah as a result.

However, sanctions on Iran are unlikely to cause Hezbollah to go broke, because the Lebanese group brings in an estimated $300 million per year from independent sources including the proceeds of transnational crime, although the true figure is likely much higher. In Latin America’s booming cocaine trade, Hezbollah members and associates provide cartels with reliable money-laundering services.

Unless the Trump administration begins disrupting these cash flows, Hezbollah will live to fight another day.

Read more at: https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/06/11/trumps-iran-crackdown-isnt-enough-to-stop-hezbollah/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I disagree with the Senator from AR.

I do too.

Offline TomSea

Japan demands more proof from U.S. that Iran attacked tankers
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2019, 05:32:40 am »
Japan demands more proof from U.S. that Iran attacked tankers
June 16 04:01 pm JST June 16 | 04:04 pm JST
TOKYO

The Japanese government has been requesting the United States for concrete evidence to back its assertion that Iran is to blame for the attacks on two tankers near the Strait of Hormuz on Thursday, government sources said Sunday.

The request came after U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo gave a statement hours after the attacks blaming Iran but without offering proof. The Department of Defense later released a video allegedly showing an Iranian patrol boat removing an unexploded mine attached to the side of the Japanese-operated tanker Kokuka Courageous.

But Japanese government officials remain unconvinced, the sources said. "The U.S. explanation has not helped us go beyond speculation," said one senior government official.

Read more at: https://japantoday.com/category/national/japan-demands-more-u.s.-proof-that-iran-attacked-tankers

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Japan demands more proof from U.S. that Iran attacked tankers
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2019, 11:11:52 am »

Lots of times you can't offer proof without giving up sources. This usually causes the sources to die,which makes it hard to recruit new sources.

Even if it doesn't give up sources,it reveals methods,and that is unacceptable,too.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

rangerrebew

US: Video shows Iran removing unexploded mine from tanker
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2019, 11:42:31 am »
US: Video shows Iran removing unexploded mine from tanker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFcjzKAcC-c

Offline TomSea

Re: Iran Crisis Thread (updates)
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2019, 05:05:10 pm »
Iran Says It Will Violate Nuclear Deal in 10 Days
By Reuters

Iran said on June 17 it would breach internationally agreed limits on its stock of low-enriched uranium in 10 days, violating a multinational nuclear deal.

A spokesman for the Islamist regime said Iran would remain in the deal if its European counterparts would help circumvent stringent economic sanctions imposed by the United States.

Tensions between Iran and the United States are worsening following the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump presenting video evidence accusing Tehran of carrying out attacks on two oil tankers on June 13 in the Gulf of Oman, a vital oil shipping route. Iran has denied having any role.

Read more at: https://www.theepochtimes.com/iran-says-it-will-violate-nuclear-deal-in-10-days_2966381.html?utm_source=pushengage&utm_medium=pushnotification&utm_campaign=pushengage

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2019/06/17/Iranian-nuclear-official-Iran-will-surpass-low-enriched-uranium-level-in-June.html
- al Arabiya
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 05:17:32 pm by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2019, 01:30:36 am »
We need to make a "do NOT screw with America!" statement by taking out the Iranian leadership,using whatever means necessary.

Let the rest of Iran wake up one morning with a city in rubble and no living establishment leadership.

Repeat if necessary,for as long as necessary.

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2019, 09:35:46 am »
U.S. Navy surveillance drone (MQ-4C) shot down by Iran on Wed. night/Thursday morning U.S. time:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/us-navy-drone-shot-down-by-iranian-missile-over-strait-of-hormuz-source

"A U.S. high-altitude drone was shot down Thursday by an Iranian surface-to-air missile over the Strait of Hormuz amid heightened tensions in the region after last week’s attacks on two oil tankers, a source told Fox News.

A commander for Iran's Revolutionary Guard said the shooting sends `a clear message' to the U.S. He said while Iran has no intention of war with anyone, it's "ready for war.""

Also:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iran-us-drone-shot-down-today-in-gulf-after-houthi-missile-strike-on-saudi-arabia-live-updates-2019-06-20/

https://apnews.com/e4316eb989d5499c9828350de8524963

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-48700965

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2019, 02:32:26 pm »
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Iran made a very big mistake!

9:15 AM - Jun 20, 2019
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2019, 02:37:28 pm »
Sink their speed boats?  Destroy their oil shipping facilities?  Send them a plane load of cash?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2019, 02:39:31 pm »

A commander for Iran's Revolutionary Guard said the shooting sends `a clear message' to the U.S. He said while Iran has no intention of war with anyone, it's "ready for war.""

@Drago

Shooting down an unarmed drone is NOT the same thing as going to war,and if this fool thinks Iran is ready to get into an actual war with a 1st world nation,calling him a fool is bragging on him.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2019, 02:47:43 pm »
@Drago

Shooting down an unarmed drone is NOT the same thing as going to war,and if this fool thinks Iran is ready to get into an actual war with a 1st world nation,calling him a fool is bragging on him.

I thought about that, Pete, but since we've "fought" the last few wars with both hands tied behind our backs, they just might think they can best us.  Or, that we will best ourselves.

Offline edpc

« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2019, 02:49:33 pm »
@Drago

They’re aware of their inability to go toe-to-toe with us or Israel. That’s why they specialize in terror and asymmetrical warfare. They have influence and assets, across the ME, from Afghanistan to Lebanon. It won’t be a cakewalk, if it goes full out.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2019, 03:25:34 pm »
I thought about that, Pete, but since we've "fought" the last few wars with both hands tied behind our backs, they just might think they can best us.  Or, that we will best ourselves.

As long as there are Rats in power in DeeCee I would not bet against them.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

« Reply #141 on: June 20, 2019, 03:36:41 pm »
Speaking on Thursday during a televised call-in show, Putin said the US military action against Iran would be a "catastrophe for the region as a minimum."

He added that it would trigger an escalation of hostilities with unpredictable results.

Putin noted that Iran has abided by the terms of a nuclear deal despite the US withdrawal, adding that he considers US sanctions against Iran unfounded.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9338963/trump-iran-big-mistake-drone-putin-catastrophic/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #142 on: June 20, 2019, 03:46:18 pm »
Putin noted that Iran has abided by the terms of a nuclear deal despite the US withdrawal, adding that he considers US sanctions against Iran unfounded.[/i]

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9338963/trump-iran-big-mistake-drone-putin-catastrophic/

I guess Vlad missed Iran's announcement they're violating the Uranium stockpile limit.
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

« Reply #143 on: June 20, 2019, 04:11:19 pm »
I guess Vlad missed Iran's announcement they're violating the Uranium stockpile limit.

Peaceful LEU.    *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2019, 04:17:01 pm »
Pentagon about to give information about drone being shot down.  11:16 central time

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2019, 04:22:33 pm »
Pentagon holds briefing after Iran shoots down U.S. drone

FF to 13:30

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2019, 04:23:34 pm »
Pentagon about to give information about drone being shot down.  11:16 central time

Nothing new, just an assurance the drone was over international water. :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2019, 04:38:42 pm »
Nothing new, just an assurance the drone was over international water. :shrug:
@Cyber Liberty

True.  Right now, Trump says "You'll soon find out if US plans Iran Strike"

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2019, 04:47:57 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

True.  Right now, Trump says "You'll soon find out if US plans Iran Strike"

@Victoria33

I just saw President Trump say in the Oval Office he thinks it was  "mistake," in the sense the shoot-down was not approved by the Mullahs.  He's trying to give them a chance to back it down, but I doubt they'll avail themselves of it. 

I expect an Iranian denial and instead a ratchet up of tensions.
I will NOT comply.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2019, 04:52:01 pm »
Charles Lister
‏Verified account @Charles_Lister

Charles Lister Retweeted Laura Rozen

#Trump seeks to take #Iran tensions down a notch.

That's a good thing, in that it discourages more escalation.

BUT it also grants the #IRGC the little victory it's looking for - to show #Trump as weak & constrained by electoral politics.

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1141748426121601025