Author Topic: Iran Crisis Thread (updates)  (Read 23183 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Oil tanker attacks echo Persian Gulf's 1980s 'Tanker War'
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2019, 08:40:32 pm »
US releases video it claims shows Iran removing unexploded mine from Gulf tanker

By Barbara Starr, Devan Cole, Eliza Mackintosh and Michelle Kosinski, CNN

Updated 4:01 PM ET, Fri June 14, 2019
US: Video shows Iran removing unexploded mine from tanker

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/13/politics/us-images-iranian-boat-removing-mine/index.html

On Friday, the president of the Japanese shipping company that owns the Kokuka Courageous held a press conference in Tokyo, in which he denied that a mine had been used in the tanker attack.

The President of Kokuka Sangyo Marine, Yutaka Katada, said he believed there was "no possibility of mine attack" owing to the attack being "well above the naval line."

Katada said he had not seen the images released by the US military, but referenced the account of a crew member who witnessed the second blast and saw a "flying object."

The International Association of Independent Tanker Owners (Intertanko) said the vessels were hit "at or below the waterline, in close proximity to the engine room," and added that the attacks "appeared to be well-planned and coordinated."

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2019, 10:07:39 pm »
The Euroweenies aren't supportive on coming down hard on Iran. They should be.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2019, 03:03:24 am »
I don’t visit the places like 4Chan and their cousins. However, I am fairly certain they already have stories about how this is a false flag Israeli operation.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
A Tanker War in the Middle East—Again?
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2019, 04:49:34 pm »
A Tanker War in the Middle East—Again?
By Robin Wright   June 13, 2019

U.S. Navy ships in the Middle East heard the first distress signal at 6:12 A.M. Thursday. The Kokuka Courageous, a tanker owned by Japan and bound from Saudi Arabia to Singapore, had been damaged by an explosive device. A fire raged in its engine room. The crew was abandoning ship. A second distress signal came in at 7 A.M. The Front Altair, a Norwegian-owned tanker bound from the United Arab Emirates to Taiwan, had also been hit. It, too, was ablaze. The fallout was fast—and furious. Within hours, oil prices rose four per cent. The U.S. Navy went to provide aid and investigate the attacks. The U.N. Security Council called for immediate consultations to prevent yet another Middle East conflict. Two tanker companies suspended new bookings to the oil-producing states in the Persian Gulf. And, amid already escalating tensions between the United States and Iran, the blame game began.

In Washington, the Trump Administration charged that Iran was responsible for the two attacks on Thursday, and also attacks on four other tankers, on May 12th. All six ships were struck in the Gulf of Oman, the body of water between Oman and Iran, just beyond the Strait of Hormuz. “This assessment is based on intelligence, the weapons used, the level of expertise needed to execute the operation, recent similar Iranian attacks on shipping, and the fact that no proxy group operating in the area has the resources and proficiency to act with such a high degree of sophistication,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told reporters at the State Department.

The Administration provided no specific intelligence about why it believed that Iran was responsible for Thursday’s incidents or the attacks in May. On Thursday, the U.S. reportedly spotted an unexploded limpet mine near one of the stricken ships. Both tankers were hit “at or below the waterline, in close proximity to the engine room while underway,” the International Association of Independent Tanker Owners reported. “These appeared to be well-planned and coordinated.”

Read more at: https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/a-tanker-war-in-the-middle-eastagain

We can likely, eventually merge all Iran stories into this thread. News stories of real import, "breaking news" types of stories can go here or on the main page. I will post more analytical stories here. Everyone can post where they want to. This is all important as obviously, we could see a conflict arise.

Offline TomSea

Excerpt:

'If there's a war, it will destroy Iraq': Iraqis speak out on heightening US-Iran tensions

Delvo Alibek, from Ankawa, does not want this to happen.

"Of course, if there's a war, it will destroy Iraq," he told The New Arab. At the same time, he thinks that Iran is a cause of problems in Iraq.

"There's been no stability in Iraq since Iran came," he said. "It became sectarian."

Many Iraqis believe an American war against Iran would hurt Iraq, but remain deeply against Iran's policies in the country at the same time and want them to stop.

Read more at: https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/indepth/2019/6/13/iraqis-speak-out-on-heightening-us-iran-tensions

Offline TomSea

Re: Iran Crisis Thread (updates)
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2019, 06:27:36 pm »
Here is about that billboard that has caused a stir (still up at Drudge):

We drowned them all': Billboard displayed in Tehran broadcast a video of US and Israeli ships being destroyed just days before attack on Gulf vessels as experts warn of chilling similarities with 1980s 'Tanker War'

Billboard was displayed outside Vali-s Asr Square in Tehran's commerical area
    Showed sea of what appeared to be Palestinian scarfs with ships on top of them
    Oil tankers were attacked on Thursday near the stategic Strait of Hormuz
    President Donald Trump has publicly accused Iran of being behind the attacks
    Iran denied involvement and said Washington was waging an 'Iranaphobic campaign'

By Terri-ann Williams For Mailonline

Published: 14:30 EDT, 14 June 2019 | Updated: 15:22 EDT, 14 June 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7143013/We-drowned-Billboard-displayed-Tehran-broadcast-video-ships-destroyed.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2019, 07:34:53 pm »
Sad to say, Israel frequently makes airstrikes in Syria and the Syrian reporting, sometimes reliable has talked of quite a few persons, over the past 2 years getting killed in these strikes including Iranians. These tanker explosions are not to be taken lightly and it may be a case of some strength is needed but at this point, I don't think we need to overplay our hand. Just my opinion.  Nobody got killed, I just think we will watch the area very closely. Lots of oil goes through there.

Offline TomSea

Rep. Dan Crenshaw dings ex-Obama aide Ben Rhodes for doubting US link of Iran to tanker attack
Lukas Mikelionis

Rep. Dan Crenshaw of Texas slammed former top Obama adviser Ben Rhodes for questioning U.S. claims that Iran attacked oil tankers near the Strait of Hormuz and downplayed the threat from the regime.

Rhodes, a leading figure within the Obama administration who pushed for the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran, suggested the U.S. official assessment of the tanker attacks shouldn’t be taken for granted, saying only an international investigation can get to the bottom of the incident.

“This definitely feels like the kind of incident where you'd want an international investigation to establish what happened. Huge risk of escalation,” Rhodes said in a tweet.

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/crenshaw-obama-adviser-threat-from-iran-doubting-intel-community

Offline TomSea

« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2019, 01:59:27 pm »
I think this writer is just suggesting more pressure be applied and not military action:

OPINION
Published June 15, 2019
David Adesnik: Trump should get tougher with Iran after it attacks oil tankers

President Trump had tough words for the leaders of Iran on Friday, saying on “Fox & Friends” that they are responsible for explosions that heavily damaged two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman on Thursday. Now the president needs to back up his words with action to send the revolutionary Islamist leaders in Tehran a message they won’t forget.

Iran’s radical regime will exploit American weakness, but it has a history of retreating when confronted by strength. If President Trump fails to make Iran pay a price for its terrorist attack on the tankers, Iran will be emboldened to launch even more attacks – not just on tankers, but elsewhere in the Middle East.

The U.S. does not need to strike Iran militarily at this time. But America needs to stand firm, using sanctions and other tools at our disposal and not taking the possibility of military action off the table.

More at: https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/david-adesnik-trump-should-get-tougher-with-iran-after-it-attacks-oil-tankers.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Offline edpc

« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2019, 03:54:14 pm »
The U.S. does not need to strike Iran militarily at this time. But America needs to stand firm, using sanctions and other tools at our disposal and not taking the possibility of military action off the table.

I think this writer is just suggesting more pressure be applied and not military action:

This is a milquetoast opinion. We’re already applying sanctions and these are military actions, sanctioned by their leadership. If they’re not really responsible for the actions, they’ll have no problem with these boats being destroyed by the next drone that spots them.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2019, 05:46:45 pm »
Why such focus on the Iran crisis when we have a crisis on our southern border that is being blatantly ignored; allowing the possibility of terrorists to gain a foothold within our country?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2019, 06:06:51 pm »
Why such focus on the Iran crisis when we have a crisis on our southern border that is being blatantly ignored; allowing the possibility of terrorists to gain a foothold within our country?

@libertybele

You misspelled the word "probability".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline edpc

« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2019, 06:15:24 pm »

Because as important as the border is, so is the free flow of oil, through Hormuz. If you want to see economic damage, let the price of oil get above $100 a barrel again.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2019, 06:17:47 pm »
@libertybele

You misspelled the word "probability".

Thanks.   888high58888

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2019, 06:19:51 pm »

Because as important as the border is, so is the free flow of oil, through Hormuz. If you want to see economic damage, let the price of oil get above $100 a barrel again.

There's much to be said for energy independence as well.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2019, 06:22:13 pm »

What you say is true, and we're not even the primary buyers of that oil.  That said, would we consider it OK if China decided to act because they are a customer?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Bill Cipher

« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2019, 06:37:51 pm »

When will that happen?

Offline edpc

« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2019, 06:41:26 pm »

Yes, but that does not change the fact it is a necessary world commodity, traded in American dollars. Even if we used our own supplies, the price would go up quite a bit. That’s got an effect on everything.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2019, 06:51:26 pm »

Yes, but that does not change the fact it is a necessary world commodity, traded in American dollars. Even if we used our own supplies, the price would go up quite a bit. That’s got an effect on everything.

Exactly.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2019, 06:53:34 pm »
When will that happen?

The 12th of Never.

We may get to a point where we import nothing, but, as @edpc says, it's a global market pool and what others have to pay affects Americans.  Everybody benefits from the free flow of oil at market prices.
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2019, 06:56:13 pm »
What you say is true, and we're not even the primary buyers of that oil.  That said, would we consider it OK if China decided to act because they are a customer?

I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t some level of tacit approval. After all, we are involved in our own economic contest with China. They wouldn’t mind seeing us battered around a bit. Many of the Iranian oil fields and facilities are under exclusive contract with China.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2019, 07:05:24 pm »

I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t some level of tacit approval. After all, we are involved in our own economic contest with China. They wouldn’t mind seeing us battered around a bit. Many of the Iranian oil fields and facilities are under exclusive contract with China.

I think we might object if China floated a flattop into the Persian Gulf.  But I get your point, and it's a good one.
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2019, 07:51:47 pm »
I think we might object if China floated a flattop into the Persian Gulf.  But I get your point, and it's a good one.

Their lone carrier Liaoning isn’t nuclear and would probably have the same problems the Russian carrier had on its journey to Syria. They do have nuclear submarines that participated in anti-piracy operations off Somalia a decade ago. I’m sure they shadow our deployed fleets.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2019, 09:46:43 pm »
When will that happen?

@Bill Cipher

When World Wide Government,Inc takes over,and makes all peons give up their private transportation and ride public busses to work and school,making sure there is a ready supply of oil and gas for the wealthy board members and their relatives.

We won't need as much oil once the goobermint takes away our cars,trucks,and motorcycles.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline TomSea

Tom Cotton calls for "retaliatory military strike" on Iran over oil tanker attacks
Camilo Montoya-Galvez

Republican Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas, one of the most hawkish members of Congress, urged the Trump administration to order a military strike against Iran over recent attacks against oil tankers in the Middle East — a move he said will send the government in Tehran a message that the U.S. will not stand idle as commercial shipping is threatened.

"These unprovoked attacks on commercial shipping warrant a retaliatory military strike," Cotton said on "Face the Nation" Sunday.

Cotton said President Trump has broad authority to sign-off on military operations that "defend American interests." He said last week's attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman — which the U.S. has accused Iran of staging — represent a scenario in which the president can use his powers as commander in chief to respond. 

Continued at:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-cotton-on-face-the-nation-calls-for-retaliatory-military-strike-on-iran-over-oil-tanker-attacks/

Too harsh of an assessment for me. He's been over there, so, maybe he's right but I disagree.