Author Topic: Hess Produces Record-Breaking Test Well In Williston Basin  (Read 1409 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Hess Corp. has produced a record-breaking 24-hour test well this month in McKenzie County, N.D., surpassing all records for U.S. land wells, according to an article in the website of the Oil Patch Hotline, an oil and gas trade publication for the Williston Basin.

“This was a barn burner,” said Hotline Publisher Dennis Blank. “The highest IP tests recorded before this on new horizontal Bakken wells were in the range of 3,000 to 4,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.”

Hess said the An-Bohmbach-153-94-2734H set a new record 24-hour IP at 14,662 boe/d. The well produced 10,169 barrels of crude oil and 26,960 Mcf of natural gas and is located in Sec. 22, T153N-R94W. This new record breaker followed an earlier April 5 record of 10,626 boe/d on a companion horizontal well in the same pad.

“It was a great well and a great result,” said Hess President Greg Hill. “We achieved a very high rate IP, and it confirmed that our acreage performed very strongly in comparison to other operators.”
https://www.hartenergy.com/news/hess-produces-record-breaking-test-well-williston-basin-179624?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWWpZMk0ySTRNREZrTXpnMSIsInQiOiJUMGp1NnIweXJGcGowQ0kyWjV4V2twTndKanh5NkJTNjRZMmt4SUtzRXNobElSN0kycVFLSzhsNVV0aGFmcHZuOGVHUVBRUXgrNG14OUErQlwvRGEyaWVsMDBwRnRINmxqV0syaVJEemFpZGs4WTJBR0pYMDN1VE1XaDR6VXdONUMifQ%3D%3D
@Smokin Joe

Seems you guys still have a lot of life left in the Bakken.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Idiot

Re: Hess Produces Record-Breaking Test Well In Williston Basin
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 04:02:16 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Amazing!  Bet that wellhead was screaming....

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 04:24:40 pm »
@Smokin Joe

The Bakken has moved from the exploration stage to development, and progress with completion techniques will continue to recover oil from the formation for decades to come, at greater efficiencies, provided that some nitwits in D.C. don't manage to sacrifice our capabilities on the altar of Gaia worship.

Note, too, that legislative refinements in the discussion of pore space ownership are setting the stage for CO2 driven secondary recovery in the Red River Plays in the southwest part of the State (Bowman area, Cedar Creek Anticline, Red River B), and the amount of oil coming out of the state should continue to increase, so long as takeaway capacity exists.

There are many more formations which produce in the Williston Basin as well. It is just that the Bakken/Three Forks Play has taken the spotlight (and rightfully so) for over a decade now.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 05:09:46 pm »
...Hess said the An-Bohmbach-153-94-2734H set a new record 24-hour IP at 14,662 boe/d. The well produced 10,169 barrels of crude oil and 26,960 Mcf of natural gas and is located in Sec. 22, T153N-R94W. This new record breaker followed an earlier April 5 record of 10,626 boe/d on a companion horizontal well in the same pad....

Is this really a new flow rate record for any US land well?  I thought Spindletop and others were much larger.

The “Lucas Gusher” will erupt more than 150 feet into the air. It begins flowing at an astounding 100,000 barrels per day from a depth of 1,010 feet.

https://aoghs.org/petroleum-pioneers/spindletop-launches-modern-oil-industry/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 05:16:11 pm »
Is this really a new flow rate record for any US land well?  I thought Spindletop and others were much larger.

https://aoghs.org/petroleum-pioneers/spindletop-launches-modern-oil-industry/
I believe the record is for the Williston Basin. Were the IP figures for Spindletop verified?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 05:32:54 pm »
I believe the record is for the Williston Basin. Were the IP figures for Spindletop verified?

Not verified, but we are not talking about a close comparable figure.

...surpassing all records for U.S. land wells...

The article does not appear to be talking about Williston Basin only.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 06:28:08 pm »
Not verified, but we are not talking about a close comparable figure.

...surpassing all records for U.S. land wells...

The article does not appear to be talking about Williston Basin only.
From the article:
Also known as the “Lucas Gusher” after Captain Anthony F. Lucas, a mining engineer who drilled on a hill, the oilfield produced 3.59 million barrels in its first year and an incredible 17.4 million barrels the next.

IP: 3.59 million the first year=3,590,000 barrels/365=9.835.61 BOPD

Maybe that's where the statement came from.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 07:17:29 pm »
IIs it safe to say there are many formations around the globe, which could produce vast amounts of hydrocarbons, using American technology such as discussed here?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 07:28:15 pm »
IIs it safe to say there are many formations around the globe, which could produce vast amounts of hydrocarbons, using American technology such as discussed here?
Yes ....If the fracs are properly tailored, if the incentive (economically or geopolitically) is there, there may be. But here, we have been blessed with a large mid continent area which has harbored intermittent marine basins in which large areas of sediments were laid down conducive to the formation of oil and gas, and which by their intermittent nature, have rock layers which are conducive to accumulating that oil or gas, and yet others to seal it in. There are others in the world, likely in Russia and China, quite possibly in Africa, and in SW Asia and Australia. There may even be significant reserves under and around Antarctica, but it will likely be a long time before those are explored or exploited.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structural_basin

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 07:44:22 pm »
The US should carefully advance yet also protect our energy technology ownership, to our best advantage.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 07:53:39 pm »
The Bakken has moved from the exploration stage to development, and progress with completion techniques will continue to recover oil from the formation for decades to come, at greater efficiencies, provided that some nitwits in D.C. don't manage to sacrifice our capabilities on the altar of Gaia worship.

Note, too, that legislative refinements in the discussion of pore space ownership are setting the stage for CO2 driven secondary recovery in the Red River Plays in the southwest part of the State (Bowman area, Cedar Creek Anticline, Red River B), and the amount of oil coming out of the state should continue to increase, so long as takeaway capacity exists.

There are many more formations which produce in the Williston Basin as well. It is just that the Bakken/Three Forks Play has taken the spotlight (and rightfully so) for over a decade now.
I used to periodically converse with some of Hess's mgt when I worked Williston 5 yrs ago and recall Hess was considering drilling several multilaterals from a single wellbore.

Any intelligence you could share of whether this might be one?  Might explain great rates.

@Smokin Joe
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 10:39:50 pm »
I used to periodically converse with some of Hess's mgt when I worked Williston 5 yrs ago and recall Hess was considering drilling several multilaterals from a single wellbore.

Any intelligence you could share of whether this might be one?  Might explain great rates.

@Smokin Joe
I don't know. We did multilaterals in Elm Coulee when I did work for Headington and their successors in the ND side of the Basin, so I wouldn't think it impossible, but I have no firsthand knowledge of this well.

When I did work for Hess in the '90s (then Amerada-Hess up this way) we did a couple of reentry laterals in the Ratcliffe up in the Tioga Madison Unit from the same wellbore, and proved one of their Geologist's theory abut the nature of that reservoir in that field, and likely down the Nesson Anticline.

Most of the pad well setups here, though post date doing multilateral wells in a 1280, with just the four parallel wellbores in the lease (in one formation). Hess may have tapped into a fracture set on structure.

C S Lewis