Author Topic: Cache of 1,000 guns seized from Los Angeles mansion in raid  (Read 1863 times)

Online mountaineer

No word on whether any crime actually was committed.
Cache of 1,000 guns seized from Los Angeles mansion in raid
May 9, 2018

LOS ANGELES (AP) — More than 1,000 rifles and handguns and thousands of rounds of ammunition were seized Wednesday at a mansion in a posh area of town not far from the Playboy Mansion.

Acting on a tip regarding illegal firearms sales, police and federal agents served a search warrant at around 4 a.m. at the property, a home valued at millions of dollars on the border of the Bel Air and Holmby Hills neighborhoods, authorities said.

Although many appeared to be modern, some were 50 years old or more and a few may have been collectibles dating back to the Civil War, KABC-TV reported. ...

One man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of violating a state law that outlaws the manufacture, possession or sale of assault weapons and high-caliber rifles.  ...
More

Yes, please.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline skeeter

Re: Cache of 1,000 guns seized from Los Angeles mansion in raid
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 01:16:36 pm »
Good thing they busted this guy before those assault muskets hit the streets.

I often wondered when they find some 'illegal' firearms stash why they always lay everything out on a blanket in the driveway.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 01:17:36 pm by skeeter »

Offline jpsb

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 01:39:11 pm »
Looks like the 2cd A is dead in Cali

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 01:42:30 pm »
Good thing they busted this guy before those assault muskets hit the streets.

I often wondered when they find some 'illegal' firearms stash why they always lay everything out on a blanket in the driveway.

I must have missed the "illegal" firearms in that pile. Can you help me find them?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 01:45:55 pm »
I must have missed the "illegal" firearms in that pile. Can you help me find them?

I assume it must have been the high capacity assault flintlocks.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 01:56:38 pm »

This is California. Anything in that pile with a thumb hole or folding stock, flash suppressor, barrel heat shroud, threaded barrel, forward pistol grip or the ability to accept a detachable magazine is illegal. Any thing in that pile thats scary and black is suspect.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 07:39:46 pm »
Looked more like a "collection" than an "arsenal".

The question is one of who tipped off who? How did they know that was there?

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 07:44:46 pm »
No word on whether any crime actually was committed.More

Yes, please.
I was thinking @Smokin Joe had that many under his bed.   happy77

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 08:05:54 pm »
Looks like the 2cd A is dead in Cali

Seriously what makes you say that?

Your remark is like blaming Texas, for David Koresh and his situation.

All that is known is a large quantity of firearms were found in a very weaalthy neighborhood.

The property in question is owned by somebody conneccted with the Getty fortune.

Arrested:
https://heavy.com/news/2019/05/girard-damien-saenz/

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 08:09:33 pm »
Looked more like a "collection" than an "arsenal".

The question is one of who tipped off who? How did they know that was there?

A 57 year old contractor was arrested. It is fair to presume that such activity would eventually be known widely enough, to prompt interest, scrutiny, etc.

The collector could simplly be somebody that was careless, about letting others know about his collecting. But we know little, so fare.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 10:33:38 pm »
I was thinking @Smokin Joe had that many under his bed.   happy77
No where close to that many, and the bed sits on a pedestal, so no room there. How many, where they are, well, that ain't nobody's business but my own. :laugh:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 10:34:56 pm »
A 57 year old contractor was arrested. It is fair to presume that such activity would eventually be known widely enough, to prompt interest, scrutiny, etc.

The collector could simplly be somebody that was careless, about letting others know about his collecting. But we know little, so fare.

Makes you wonder if someone backtracked transactions on a C&R License. :pondering:

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 06:56:18 pm »
Inside the ‘hoarder’s paradise’ linked to Getty family, where 1,000 guns were seized
By Jackie Salo
May 10, 2019
The Los Angeles mansion owned by Gordon Getty’s ex-mistress — where more than a thousand firearms were stashed — was a “hoarder’s paradise,” according to officials who said a tip to authorities about the woman’s longtime companion helped crack the case.

Investigators were perplexed to find Cynthia Beck’s sprawling Bel-Air mansion in total disarray Wednesday and overrun with an enormous cache of guns, including military-style automatic weapons and Civil War rifles, the Los Angeles Times reported.

“It’s beyond comprehension that somebody can have so many weapons in a residence like this, in a neighborhood like this,” Los Angeles police Lt. Chris Ramirez told reporters.

Police said the 12-hour raid uncovered AR-15 military-style automatic rifles, .44-caliber handguns, .357 Magnum revolvers, an Uzi 9mm submachine gun, a 9mm Luger pistol and what appeared to be a World War II-era Thompson submachine gun, as well as thousands of rounds of ammo....

Beck’s partner Girard Damien Saenz, who was at the property during the raid, was arrested on suspicion of violating California’s law banning the manufacture, distribution, transportation and importation of assault rifles or .50-caliber weapons.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives launched an investigation after it received an anonymous tip that 57-year-old Saenz was manufacturing and selling guns from the five-bedroom residence. Saenz, who goes by Gerry, was released from jail Thursday on $50,000 bond. ...  More at NY Post
How do inanimate objects like guns "overrun" a building?
Wow, thousands of rounds of ammo.  :silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 07:26:09 pm »
This cannot be true. Experts always state nobody in California can buy, own or use firearms. /s

property owner Cynthia Beck, longtime mistress of Gordon Getty

https://heavy.com/news/2019/05/cynthia-beck-gordon-getty-mistress-bel-air/

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 05:42:05 pm »
Inside the ‘hoarder’s paradise’ linked to Getty family, where 1,000 guns were seized
By Jackie Salo
May 10, 2019How do inanimate objects like guns "overrun" a building?
Wow, thousands of rounds of ammo.  :silly:

Laughing myself. I just read this whole story.  I have been a tad bit busy of late. 

There are plenty of images of Getty's "gal pal."

Why would anyone leave that large of a cache of guns and ammo?  Did she remove the paintings?  I am sure there were plenty of paintings that would annoy others, too. 

I hope those guns do not end up in San Francisco Harbor. 

*****rollingeyes*****
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra