Author Topic: 4 foreign powers are jockeying for influence in Venezuela — here's what they have at stake  (Read 499 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
4 foreign powers are jockeying for influence in Venezuela — here's what they have at stake
Alex Kliment, GZERO Media

The struggle between President Nicolas Maduro, labeled illegitimate, and opposition leader Juan Guaido, recognized by some 50 countries as interim president, is dragging on in Venezuela.

Inside and outside the South American country, four major players are working to shape the conditions on the ground there. Here's who they are and why they're interested.

The internal drama of Venezuela's politics is frothy enough — two men claim to be president but neither is able to dislodge the other even as the country suffers the worst peacetime economic crisis in modern history.

Read more at: https://www.businessinsider.com/us-russia-china-and-cuba-are-jockeying-for-influence-in-venezuela-2019-5

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Lest we forget, Venezuela is sitting on top of oil reserves that rival, if not exceed the Saudi's. That is motive enough.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
China with all its money is spreading it around with the intent to gain influence throughout the world.  Russia, struggling all the years under the dictator Putin is using some of its oil/gas money to regain its position of influence.

Meanwhile, in the USA the people are tired of being positioned in every country of the world(my belief).  We have allowed our nation to decay while spending trillions on other nations, particularly the middle east.  I for one, am sick of seeing our treasury poured into undeserving countries.

Let Europe defend itself.  Same with Japan and Korea.  And if we continue to maintain the role we have, it should be cost plus.  Let these nations pay for the USA to be their protector.  Time for bullsh*t is over.

Online Smokin Joe

China with all its money is spreading it around with the intent to gain influence throughout the world.  Russia, struggling all the years under the dictator Putin is using some of its oil/gas money to regain its position of influence.

Meanwhile, in the USA the people are tired of being positioned in every country of the world(my belief).  We have allowed our nation to decay while spending trillions on other nations, particularly the middle east.  I for one, am sick of seeing our treasury poured into undeserving countries.

Let Europe defend itself.  Same with Japan and Korea.  And if we continue to maintain the role we have, it should be cost plus.  Let these nations pay for the USA to be their protector.  Time for bullsh*t is over.
China is spending the money they got from producing that which the US would not, far cheaper.

The billions spent on foreign nations that I am tired of are the billions in foreign aid which end up in the pockets of tinpot dictators and rulers who are not our friends.

As for maintaining military hegemony throughout the world, to fail to do so will only leave a vacuum which other nations (esp. China) will fill. That will mean less secure trade routes, and eventually cause economic distress and strategic weakness for ourselves. Note England's decline with the decline in their military presence in the world, that presence which made their entire mercantile expansion possible and kept them as a first tier economy for generations. When dealing with larger economies, like Europe's, or the Saudis, send them a bill for providing that penumbra of security.

The globalists (and, for want of a better term, Communists) have seen to that necessity, however, economically speaking.

It is no accident that our manufacturing capability has been castrated by environmental kooks. The KGB was investing in Environmental Organizations back in the 1960s and 1970 for that exact purpose: to hamper and hinder western industrial capabilities and growth. In the 1940s we were seen as "the arsenal of democracy" because we could out produce any nation on the planet, and generally did so with domestic resources.

Unless we get off the whole 'save the Earth' kick and recover our domestic manufacturing capability, mining and refining other resources (we can do that without causing the pollution of decades ago--we have the technology and the knowledge), we will need to maintain the trade routes which we currently depend on for much used and consumed in our daily lives, not just for consumerism, but for national security as well.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline dfwgator

This was a State Department cuck-up.  Trump needs to get the State Department under control.

Online Smokin Joe

This was a State Department cuck-up.  Trump needs to get the State Department under control.
The State Department has been FUBARing anti-communist operations since the Bay of Pigs (and likely before that).

C S Lewis