Author Topic: Pritzker announces plan to legalize marijuana starting in 2020  (Read 1631 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
CHICAGO — Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker says he's reached an agreement with key lawmakers on a plan to legalize recreational marijuana in the state starting next year.

Pritzker joined fellow Democrats Saturday to announce the legislation. It would allow adults 21 and older to legally buy cannabis for recreational use from licensed dispensaries. Illinois residents could possess up to about an ounce of marijuana. The legislation also would automatically expunge some marijuana convictions.

Lawmakers plan to introduce the measure Monday, kicking off debate at the Legislature. Democrats hold a majority in both chambers.

Pritzker campaigned on the issue and is counting on more than $1 billion from legalizing recreational marijuana in his proposed state budget.

more
https://herald-review.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/pritzker-announces-plan-to-legalize-marijuana-starting-in/article_86d554a4-2de9-52de-8d61-1089ff28448a.html#utm_source=herald-review.com&utm_campaign=%2Femail-updates%2Fbreaking&utm_medium=PostUp&utm_content=304cf8af85a28c1dfc7a1d6b3f8e4acea2bdebdd
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Pritzker announces plan to legalize marijuana starting in 2020
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 07:46:55 pm »
legally buy cannabis for recreational use from licensed dispensaries

Why shouldn't it be legal to grow cannabis for your own personal use, just like you can make your own beer and wine?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 08:04:26 pm »
Why shouldn't it be legal to grow cannabis for your own personal use, just like you can make your own beer and wine?
The Almighty State, would have been deprived of their Entitlement, to your wealth.

But above mere money, it would Entitle the State to bethe controling, ruling force.

IMO we were better off with drugs being illegal and the public messaging, of "Just Say No," and a widely held view that virtually any drug, was a gateway to more and more dangerous drugs.

Our increasingly permissive culture has led to homeless drug addicts, to an extent I have never seen before.

My home is next to a city park, and a man died of overdose earlier in the week. Homeless are like germs, spreading through our society.

They are homeless, due mainly to their drug use. They live by stealing.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 08:27:27 pm »
So we should bring back "Prohibition" as the most abused drug of the homeless is alcohol?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 09:36:11 pm »
So we should bring back "Prohibition" as the most abused drug of the homeless is alcohol?

Me: 25+ years sber.  :amen:Probably used pot the last time 35+ years ago.

I said nothing of prohibition. I DID say our permissive society has led to MORE drug use, homelessness, than previous times.

Authority figures (parents, police etc.) once argued against self-destructuve behavior, but that message has given way to no message at all.

Now that everybody gets health insurance, rehab is taken for granted as a right. Now that Naproxen is carried on ambulences, rescue is taken for granted.

I liked "just say no," better

I believe our society will look back on drug liberalizzation, as an ill conceived experiment.

I am the outlier voice on this. The "popular" people say bring the drugs on. Leave the homeless to themselves.

I think the forces behind this liberalization are not wise. Boys becoming firls, 16 year olds voting, inmates running the sylum.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 08:50:46 am »
One more reason to drive around Illinois when I go back East to visit relatives....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis