Author Topic: This city might give homeless people the right to camp anywhere  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: This city might give homeless people the right to camp anywhere
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2019, 05:38:20 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Why would the state of Colorado want a bunch of spaced-out hippies wandering around in the roads?

"I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT! I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT,AND IT IS A 68 Buic...THUD!"
Actually, the last 'thud' was a LEO killed about 12 miles from the rig I was working on during a well advertised blizzard, who had stopped to help another motorist who was stranded (along with 1000 others) in the storm. He was hit by some geezer in a Volvo... sadly, the LEO left a wife and a couple of kids widowed and fatherless.
The part I don't get is that somehow 1000 people went out in that storm to get stranded, despite 'no travel' warnings and road closed advisories--something we take seriously in North Dakota, and serious enough weather that our drilling rig was basically idling for over 24 hours to wait out the storm (something I have only seen three times in 40 years). The chief reason was that with weather that bad, the likelihood of someone getting hurt was significantly higher, and that getting them to Medical care beyond us patching them up and waiting for the roads to be cleared was problematical (No Life flights, no ambulances.)

I'm not sure where stupid falls on the normal population scale, whether this is an example of ordinary rates of potentially terminal stupidity, or whether it is a result of chemically enhanced lack of judgement beyond normal stupid levels (likely no one has studied it in that detail), but it would be easy enough to blame some sort of chemical augmentation to a serious lack of judgement on the part of the people who went out and got stuck on the road.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 05:39:59 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 05:54:20 pm »
When you hear the lament of "not enough resources for the Homeless/Addicts (essentially the same thing)

Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Prince and Tom Petty died of "accidental" overdoses

All of them could afford "resources."

What is in short dupply is Common Sense. "Just Say No."

Tobacco, Alcohol and Weed re all Gateway Drugs.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2019, 12:41:28 am »
When you hear the lament of "not enough resources for the Homeless/Addicts (essentially the same thing)

Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Prince and Tom Petty died of "accidental" overdoses

I thought Tom Petty died of a heart attack because he was old?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2019, 12:43:29 am »
Not like Michael Jackson or John Belushi....

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2019, 11:31:40 am »

Tom Petty’s Cause of Death: Accidental Overdose
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/tom-pettys-cause-of-death-accidental-overdose-202789/

...The coroner’s office listed Petty’s official cause of death as “multisystem organ failure due to resuscitated
cardiopulmonary arrest due to mixed drug toxicity,” noting the singer suffered from coronary artery atherosclerosis and emphysema.

Petty had been prescribed the drugs to treat emphysema, knee issues and a fractured hip, his family said in a statement accompanying the results. Petty’s coronary artery disease had been a persistent problem throughout his final tour....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2019, 12:04:18 pm »
Tom Petty’s Cause of Death: Accidental Overdose
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/tom-pettys-cause-of-death-accidental-overdose-202789/

...The coroner’s office listed Petty’s official cause of death as “multisystem organ failure due to resuscitated
cardiopulmonary arrest due to mixed drug toxicity,” noting the singer suffered from coronary artery atherosclerosis and emphysema.

Petty had been prescribed the drugs to treat emphysema, knee issues and a fractured hip, his family said in a statement accompanying the results. Petty’s coronary artery disease had been a persistent problem throughout his final tour....

@thackney

That's kind of confusing,and makes it look like the doctor's were at fault unless he didn't tell them about the other prescription drugs he was taking.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online rustynail

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2019, 11:57:59 pm »
Voters in Denver appear to have overwhelmingly rejected a measure that would have overturned the city’s ban on camping in public places.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/denver-voters-reject-right-to-survive-homeless-camping-initiative

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2019, 03:38:05 pm »
Voters in Denver appear to have overwhelmingly rejected a measure that would have overturned the city’s ban on camping in public places.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/denver-voters-reject-right-to-survive-homeless-camping-initiative
NIMBY? Either way, I'm glad to see it failed. The people of Denver aren't completely addled, even if the government seems to be.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 03:39:22 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2019, 10:35:23 pm »
About 83% against overturning the ban.

17% or so for removing it.

83% looks to be a modest "majority" to me!