Author Topic: The Best Self Defense Ammo – Ballistic Testing  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Best Self Defense Ammo – Ballistic Testing
« on: May 05, 2019, 11:39:39 pm »
Ammo to Go by David Lewis 4/25/2019

The AmmoToGo.com team tests 143 different handgun loads through a 4-layer barrier into ballistic gelatin. Enjoy the treasure trove of data and see how each round compared under identical testing conditions to other ammunition options.

Welcome to the AmmoToGo.com Self Defense Ballistic Test – our effort to give you a ton of data to help you determine the best self defense ammo for your needs.

What is ballistic testing? Well, ballistics is essentially the study of how a bullet performs under different circumstances. A bullet’s trajectory, speed, and terminal ballistics can all be measured and studied.

We tested our lineup of hollow point ammunition, which includes 164 different loads, covering five of the most popular calibers – 9mm, .45 ACP, .40 S&W, .380 Auto, 357 Magnum (added on 9/19/2018), 38 Special (added on 10/17/18) as well as 10mm and 22 WMR (added 4/22/19). We then analyzed and compared the data against the set of performance standards used by the Federal Bureau of Investigation as a resource for you to use when shopping for and considering self defense ammo.

It is always best to familiarize yourself with and be prepared with the ammunition you plan to use. You don’t ever want to be caught off guard with unfamiliar ammo. When it comes to picking a self defense round to trust your life with why would you ever make a blind purchase?

We understand that for most people the demanding nature of a project such as this is not easy nor cost effective to make a go at it alone. We wanted to bridge that gap by laying out as much raw data as possible. Our goal wasn’t to tell you what ammo you should use but rather show you as many different loads side-by-side so you could make the best decision for your needs.

Ballistic Test Basics

There are many different variables to take into account when testing self defense ammunition.

Ammo that performs well out of one pistol may function poorly when fired from a handgun of a different size or make. Finding the ammo that works best with your handgun and meets your personal needs is what matters most. That’s why it’s important you get real trigger time with the ammo you’re potentially going to trust your life to.

For this project we followed many of the guidelines the FBI uses as testing requirements for their own duty ammunition. This helped us measure performance standards such as penetration depth, retained weight, and the expansion capabilities for each hollow point projectile.

By analyzing the extensive data from our test you will be able to clearly see how each round performed under our test conditions. Whether you’re just getting into shooting or if you’ve been around firearms your entire life, we think everyone will be able take away some new and useful information from the test result.

FBI Ballistic Testing Protocol

The FBI test protocol runs through a full cycle of eight test events. Each event is designed to test a hollow point bullet by shooting the ammo through barriers such as wallboard, steel, and auto glass before penetrating ballistic gelatin. The ammunition is then tested for velocity and accuracy. According to the FBI, the results are an assessment of a bullet’s ability to inflict effective wounds after defeating various intervening obstacles commonly present in law enforcement shootings .

For our testing purposes we slightly deviated from the strict guidelines so that our results might reflect more of what a civilian may encounter in a self defense situation. We understand though that every defense situation is unique and we cannot just blindly group every shooting into a single category.

With that in mind, our test focused more on one of the eight test events in which the ammunition penetrates heavy clothing prior to impacting the ballistic gelatin. While these guidelines are in no way an absolute set of rules for testing self defense ammo, they provide a great backbone to build off of.

More: https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/best-self-defense-ammo/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: The Best Self Defense Ammo – Ballistic Testing
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 11:53:04 pm »
Excellent information at the linked site.  I've watched many of those tests and highly recommend only Federal HST ammo if you are carrying anything with a Barrell less than 4" in length.  Speer Gold dots are fine in the  rest.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 11:58:36 pm »
Excellent information at the linked site.  I've watched many of those tests and highly recommend only Federal HST ammo if you are carrying anything with a Barrell less than 4" in length.  Speer Gold dots are fine in the  rest.

That's what I noted for the 38 Special. I'm going to pick some up for my 3" bbl Chief's Special.

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 12:47:26 pm »

Yep

Life is fragile, handle with prayer