Poll

Should American Schools be Forced to Teach Arabic Numerals/Digits?

Yes. Horray for multiculturalism.
1 (11.1%)
No. This is America Dammit!!
4 (44.4%)
XXIV For Me
4 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: May 06, 2019, 01:51:39 am

Author Topic: Should American Schools be Forced to Teach Arabic Numerals/Digits?  (Read 2424 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
What say you? Schools are forcing children to learn Arabic Numerals.  More encroachment of Shakira Law.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

We don't need 10 numerals, when 10 would do just fine.

Teach binary!
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Teach binary!

Nonsense!   We don't need 10 numerals, when 10 would do just fine.

Teach hexadecimal!
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline corbe

Octal decimal is my favorite.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online dfwgator

What say you? Schools are forcing children to learn Arabic Numerals.  More encroachment of Shakira Law.

Their hips don't lie.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me

Teach binary!

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.

Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Let it burn.

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
EBCDIC

EBCDIC

EBCDIC: /eb´s@·dik/, /eb´see`dik/, /eb´k@·dik/, n. [abbreviation, Extended Binary Coded Decimal Interchange Code] An alleged character set used on IBM dinosaurs. It exists in at least six mutually incompatible versions, all featuring such delights as non-contiguous letter sequences and the absence of several ASCII punctuation characters fairly important for modern computer languages (exactly which characters are absent varies according to which version of EBCDIC you're looking at). IBM adapted EBCDIC from punched card code in the early 1960s and promulgated it as a customer-control tactic (see connector conspiracy), spurning the already established ASCII standard. Today, IBM claims to be an open-systems company, but IBM's own description of the EBCDIC variants and how to convert between them is still internally classified top-secret, burn-before-reading. Hackers blanch at the very name of EBCDIC and consider it a manifestation of purest evil.
   -- ESR

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
OK then. EBDIC is out. Make it Binary64.

Offline corbe

hank williams jr - dinosaur

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
EBCDIC

As one final point of interest, different countries have different character requirements, such as the á, ê, and ü characters. Due to the fact that IBM sold its computer systems around the world, it had to create multiple versions of EBCDIC. In fact, 57 different national variants were eventually wending their way across the planet. (A "standard" with 57 variants! You can only imagine how much fun everybody had when transferring files from one country to another).