Author Topic: U.S. Steel Announces $1.2 Billion Investment to Upgrade Pennsylvania Facilities…  (Read 706 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

U.S. Steel Announces $1.2 Billion Investment to Upgrade Pennsylvania Facilities…
Conservative Treehouse, May 2, 2019

The U.S. Steel and Aluminum industry has been a key focus of President Trump in an effort to reestablish a critical industry for America. Part of the administration strategy was broad-based tariffs aimed at curbing China’s dumping of government subsidized product globally. The broad global application of the tariffs defeated the Chinese trans-shipment strategy to avoid them.

Despite opposition from Wall Street republicans and democrats purchased by K-Street lobbyists, the administration policy has been exceptionally successful at driving investment into the U.S. manufacturing base.  The multinationals are furious.

(U.S. Steel) United States Steel Corporation is investing more than $1 billion in the place where our reputation as a trusted industry leader was first forged more than a century ago: our Mon Valley Works near Pittsburgh.

The investment involves the construction of a cutting-edge, sustainable endless casting and rolling facility at Mon Valley’s Edgar Thomson Plant in Braddock, Pa., – the first of its kind in the United States – and a new cogeneration facility with state-of-the-art emissions control technology at the nearby Clairton Plant in Clairton, Pa. (link)

More:  https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2019/05/02/u-s-steel-announces-1-2-billion-investment-to-upgrade-pennsylvania-facilities/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Excellent!  MAGA

Offline corbe

Bout damn time these Steel/Aluminum Tariffs have profited them bigly at the expense of the American Consumer.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mountaineer

This story was on the Pittsburgh TV news last night. As I watched various Democrat politicians (e.g., Pa. Lt. Gov., Allegheny County Executive) celebrating the occasion, I had to wonder whether this ever could have happened had their girl Hillary been elected.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
What the story fails to mention is the upgrades are to make the plant more efficient, automated, and environmentally friendly. That’s great for the industry and the owners, but doesn’t do much for the average steel worker.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
What the story fails to mention is the upgrades are to make the plant more efficient, automated, and environmentally friendly. That’s great for the industry and the owners, but doesn’t do much for the average steel worker.

Nothing except to more firmly solidify their jobs.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Nothing except to more firmly solidify their jobs.

I guess you missed the part about automation, which generally requires less people, with a different skillset.   :shrug:
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I guess you missed the part about automation, which generally requires less people, with a different skillset.   :shrug:

I didn't miss a thing but you obviously have.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/career-workplace/2019/05/02/U-S-Steel-to-spend-1-billion-on-Mon-Valley-Works/stories/201905020023

...The company will build a combined casting and rolling facility — the first of its kind at any American steel mill — and a cogeneration power plant. Put together, the combination aims to reduce emissions and increase the efficiency and sustainability of steelmaking in the Mon Valley.

The facilities, expected to be running by 2022, will also make the Mon Valley Works the Pittsburgh company’s central source of base material for high-strength, lightweight, flexible steel that feeds the automobile sector....

...The Mon Valley Works includes Edgar Thomson, the Clairton Coke Work and the Irvin Plant in West Mifflin. Together they employ about 3,000....

...In January, Nucor Corp., the country’s largest steelmaker and an mini-mill producer, announced a new $1.4 billion mill in the Midwest to produce 1.2 million tons each year.

Steel Dynamics, a producer based in Fort Wayne, Ind., plans to build a $1.8 billion mill with an electric arc furnace in the Southwest, with an annual capacity of 3 million tons.

JSW USA is spending $1 billion to revive a mill in Texas and restart a former Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel mill in Mingo Junction, Ohio.

U.S. Steel, a 118-year-old Pittsburgh steelmaker, has remained committed to blast furnaces, which combine iron ore, limestone and coking coal under intense heat and pressure to produce iron that is then further processed into steel. The company had previously pledged to spend $2 billion to repair and upgrade its existing fleet of plants instead of building new ones....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

https://www.wtae.com/article/us-steel-making-announcement-about-future-of-mon-valley-works/27343441

..."This investment demonstrates a commitment to operate in the best interests of its employees and their communities and shows respect for the part our members, their families and neighbors have played in keeping the proud tradition of steelmaking alive in the Mon Valley for over a century."

United Steelworkers Vice President Tom Conway said the move will also "bolster the long-term job security" of about 3,000 union workers at U.S. Steel.

"This place has been putting food on my table, clothes on my back for my entire life. And with news like this, I know it's going to continue for my family, my son," said Bob Williams Jr, a U.S. Steel Edgar Thomson plant employee who was invited to speak at the announcement....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Folks, repeat after me:
Tariffs.
Don't.
Work.

Got it...?