Author Topic: Chevron Phillips subsidiary launches chemical recycling joint venture  (Read 813 times)

Offline thackney

Chevron Phillips subsidiary launches chemical recycling joint venture
https://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Chevron-Phillips-subsidiary-launches-chemical-13810002.php
 May 1, 2019

A subsidiary of Chevron Phillips Chemical has launched a new joint venture aimed at taking chemically-based plastic recycling processes to a bigger commercial scale.

The Woodlands-based Americas Styrenics, part owned by Chevron Phillips Chemical and Trinseo LLC, is joining forces with Agilyx, a Tigard, Ore. based chemical company, to launch a new chemical recycling joint venture, the companies announced this week.

The joint venture, called Regenyx  LLC, will use Agilyx's chemical recycling process to convert used polystyrene products back to their original liquid form, the companies said in a release Tuesday. AmSty can then take that liquid feedstock to make new polystyrene products without downgrading the quality of the plastics.

Already Americas Stryenics recently started using recycled chemical feedstocks produced by Agilyx to create new plastic products. Now the companies want to expand that partnership and pursue developing a new chemical recycling plant.

Unlike traditional forms of mechanical recycling, chemical recycling turns plastics back into its original building blocks. It can turn previously difficult-to-recycle plastics into fuels and feedstocks....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
They are going to convert polystyrene and my curbside recycle pickup won't take any expanded polystyrene foam.

Offline thackney

They are going to convert polystyrene and my curbside recycle pickup won't take any expanded polystyrene foam.

They won't take it, because up until now, it wasn't recycled.  But I doubt even after up and running, this west coast facility won't impact recycling in Texas.  But maybe if it makes money, they will build others.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer