Author Topic: Newt Gingrich says he (and we) were wrong about China: it's more dangerous than we wanted to believe  (Read 1255 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Newt Gingrich says he (and we) were wrong about China: it's more dangerous than we wanted to believe
By Newt Gingrich On 4/29/19 at 4:15 PM EDT

I t has become more and more obvious that our strategies for dealing with China don’t work.

For years, we have watched America’s manufacturing sector slowly migrate east. And right now we are watching China (through the giant telecom company Huawei) attempt to dominate the worldwide deployment of 5G technology. Very soon, we could be operating in a world in which the internet as we know it is maintained and controlled by a totalitarian Communist country.

Our strategies are failing because they are based not on reality but on two key myths. Decades ago, we—and I include myself—sold ourselves a fantasy version of China. The real thing is far more formidable and dangerous than we wanted to believe. I will explore this new reality in a book I’m writing called Trump Versus China: America’s Greatest Challenge.

Read more at: https://www.newsweek.com/china-newt-gingrich-xi-jinping-5g-technology-dangerous-myths-fantasy-1408874

Seems a possibly good article to give a temp sticky, maybe tomorrow.  Newt's sort of an elder statesman these days.

A lot of views, this article surely, merits more attention and more discussion.  A sticky for now.

Any input welcome.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 11:10:15 am by TomSea »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I agree with Newt, and I'm not sure why there was ever an idea that China wasn't dangerous.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
China dangerous?

Gee,who would have ever guessed?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I agree with Newt, and I'm not sure why there was ever an idea that China wasn't dangerous.

@Sanguine

The Bush and Clinton Crime Familes thought the Chinese were a gift from heaven. The Bushes even opened the first US Chamber of Commerce in China in a unique partnership with the Chinese Politburo. That was when the Chinese started getting all those sweetheart import to the US deals for Chinese junk.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
@Sanguine

The Bush and Clinton Crime Familes thought the Chinese were a gift from heaven. The Bushes even opened the first US Chamber of Commerce in China in a unique partnership with the Chinese Politburo. That was when the Chinese started getting all those sweetheart import to the US deals for Chinese junk.

Bingo!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

‘C’mon Man!’ Joe Biden Scoffs at China Threat
Breitbart Politics, May 1, 2019, CHARLIE SPIERING

Former Vice President Joe Biden dismissed the threat from China during a 2020 campaign rally in Iowa City, Iowa on Wednesday.

He said:

China is going to eat our lunch? Come on, man. They can’t even figure out how to deal with the fact that they have this great division between the China Sea and the mountains in the east, I mean in the west, They can’t figure out how they are going to deal with the corruption that exists within the system. I mean, you know, they’re not bad folks, folks. But guess what, they’re not competition for us.

[...]

The economic and military competition with China remains a focal point for President Donald Trump, as he continues negotiating a better trade deal for the American worker.

Former Vice President Biden has not detailed specific policies to handle the ballooning trade deficit with China, the rise of their military or talked about reforming trade deals with China since launching his 2020 campaign.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/05/01/cmon-man-joe-biden-scoffs-at-china-threat/

Offline TomSea

Nikki Haley warns of China threat, calls Beijing ‘our foremost national security concern’
Adam Shaw

Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley on Tuesday described China as America’s’ “foremost national security concern,” warning that the conventional wisdom about the communist superpower is “dead.”

“China has become our foremost national security concern,” she said in an address to the Asian Leadership Conference in Seoul, South Korea. “ Does this mean it’s America’s enemy? No. Not necessarily. At one and the same time it is a principal trade and investment player, our chief strategic competitor, and our most serious potential military antagonist.”

The former South Carolina governor dismissed the theory of convergence, which predicted that as China grew wealthier, it would have to liberalize politically at home and therefore become similar to the U.S. in domestic politics and its outlook on foreign relation

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/nikki-haley-warns-of-china-threat-calls-beijing-our-foremost-national-security-concern

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

The former South Carolina governor dismissed the theory of convergence, which predicted that as China grew wealthier, it would have to liberalize politically at home and therefore become similar to the U.S. in domestic politics and its outlook on foreign relation

@TomSea

Yeah,causen de Chinese are nuttin more than funny-looking 'murikans,huh?

Haley has it right. The only thing you can trust them to do is act like they are Chinese.

Offline jpsb

Out foreign policy "experts" are idiots. I blame the neo conservitive movement. Starting with George H. W. Bush. We paleo conservatives were never fooled and have long been telling anyone that would listen that the Communist China was a huge threat to the USA and we are fools to be send the Chicoms billions of dollars every year. Now that it is beyond oblivious the "experts" are finally catching on.

Online libertybele

@Sanguine

Thank you for the enlightenment.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Thank you for the enlightenment.

@libertybele

That was only half the story. The other half is this was when Wal-Mart had been advertising how their products were "90-something percent made in America!",and opening new stores all over the country every week.

It was also the same time when Bubba was the governor of Arkansas,and Bubbette! was given a seat on the board of directors based on her business experience of "absolutely none at all".

Now you know how and when the Bush Crime Family and the Clinton Crime Family became such good pals.

Offline TomSea

Okay, Elderstatesman Newt's special op-ed for newsweek is being un-sticky for now.  If another matter rises with China, we will take care of things.