Author Topic: Traumatic Brain Injury  (Read 2260 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Traumatic Brain Injury
« on: April 27, 2019, 10:07:34 pm »
No url

@sneakypete

The thread you posted.

Asking for a  bump to your thread.

@Cyber Liberty  @mystery-ak

To the mods.  Delete it. Or bump.

In full frontal admission, I never served in the military.
Aside and back to the point.

@Victoria33
@Quix

Hey HO @QueenCatofAragon

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Traumatic Brain Injury
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 10:31:30 pm »
@bigheadfred

Fred,I would be happy to do so if I could find it. I have never been able to figure out how to find old posts or threads here.

BTW,you don't have to be in the military to  have suffered TBI. I first got it from flat-track racing a motorcycle on Okinawa. Flipped it end for end several times running maybe 70 MPH,and skidding a considerable distance down the track on my head according to witnesses. The funny part is once I got back on my feet,I stumbled over to the motorcycle,started it up,and finished the race,bent frame,bent handlebars,and bent front forks and all. I was told everybody thought I was ok and a lot of them thought it was funny,but then after the race was over they noticed nobody could find me,so they had the crowd out beating the bushes to see where I had got off to. They did find me walking around mumbling nonsense,and loaded me on a ambulance and took me to the army hospital. Had amnesia for several months. I could remember my name and where I lived,but that was about it.

I went to VN less than a year later,and was blown off my feet by explosions a couple of times while I was there. No big deal. If you survived it,you didn't worry about it. One time I had shrapnel in the bottom of one of my boots,and another time I ended up picking a large chunk of shrapnel out of my rucksack. Normally no big deal,but I had a anti-tank mine in the rucksack. The NVA were running around in tanks in Laos at the time,and I wanted to kill a tank.

Truth to tell,I am not sure there was such a diagnosis as TBI in the 60's,and don't think it was ever determined I had it
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:40:14 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 10:38:33 pm »
@bigheadfred I sure don't remember it.... :shrug:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 10:41:54 pm »
@bigheadfred I sure don't remember it.... :shrug:

@mystery-ak

Myst,I suspect he is talking about the thread I started about the tv program named Seal Team. It was just a few days ago.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 10:53:49 pm »

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 12:18:48 am »
No url

@sneakypete

The thread you posted.

Asking for a  bump to your thread.

@Cyber Liberty  @mystery-ak

To the mods.  Delete it. Or bump.

In full frontal admission, I never served in the military.
Aside and back to the point.

@Victoria33
@Quix

Hey HO @QueenCatofAragon

@bigheadfred

Fred!!  What’s going on?
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 12:22:32 am »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 12:55:43 am »
@EdJames

Ed,do you mind telling me how you found the thread?

@sneakypete

1.  Click your Avatar to get your profile.
2.  Below your Avatar on the Profile page click "Show Posts." 
3.  Above post #1 there are three buttons, click "Topics."

The Seal Team post is right at the top.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 12:56:34 am »
@EdJames

@sneakypete

I also found it with a Goggle search:   "site:gopbriefingroom.com Traumatic Brain Injury"

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 12:59:15 am »
@sneakypete

1.  Click your Avatar to get your profile.
2.  Below your Avatar on the Profile page click "Show Posts." 
3.  Above post #1 there are three buttons, click "Topics."

The Seal Team post is right at the top.

@Cyber Liberty

I'll be damned!

Thank you!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 01:01:46 am »
@sneakypete

I also found it with a Goggle search:   "site:gopbriefingroom.com Traumatic Brain Injury"

@Elderberry

Thanks!

Offline Quix

• Times R a changin' Walk with God!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 04:14:20 am »

How can we be of help to you?

How many care-givers do you have around you?

Are you eating?

Are you drinking plenty of water?

What does the Doc say about your brain and recovery?

We care and a number of us are praying.

God's best to you.

Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
POTTERY SITE ON ETSY: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ACTIVELOVE
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 10:53:13 am »
@bigheadfred

Fred,I would be happy to do so if I could find it. I have never been able to figure out how to find old posts or threads here.

BTW,you don't have to be in the military to  have suffered TBI. I first got it from flat-track racing a motorcycle on Okinawa. Flipped it end for end several times running maybe 70 MPH,and skidding a considerable distance down the track on my head according to witnesses. The funny part is once I got back on my feet,I stumbled over to the motorcycle,started it up,and finished the race,bent frame,bent handlebars,and bent front forks and all. I was told everybody thought I was ok and a lot of them thought it was funny,but then after the race was over they noticed nobody could find me,so they had the crowd out beating the bushes to see where I had got off to. They did find me walking around mumbling nonsense,and loaded me on a ambulance and took me to the army hospital. Had amnesia for several months. I could remember my name and where I lived,but that was about it.

I went to VN less than a year later,and was blown off my feet by explosions a couple of times while I was there. No big deal. If you survived it,you didn't worry about it. One time I had shrapnel in the bottom of one of my boots,and another time I ended up picking a large chunk of shrapnel out of my rucksack. Normally no big deal,but I had a anti-tank mine in the rucksack. The NVA were running around in tanks in Laos at the time,and I wanted to kill a tank.

Truth to tell,I am not sure there was such a diagnosis as TBI in the 60's,and don't think it was ever determined I had it
I think they just called it a "concussion".

Nothing so spectacular for me, I got my bell rung when a van (doing 55 in a residential area, failed to yield) t-boned my '70 Dodge Coronet, hitting it right behind my seat. Knocked the car 4 feet sideways, by the tire marks, before it spun down the side street I had been crossing. I caught my head on the third bounce off the side window glass (which somehow didn't break despite being bent over 4 inches with the door) thinking "If the glass breaks, I'm dead". Everything was in slow motion at that point. 
Short term memory shot, I had to take a year comprehensive 5-hour Calculus exam five days later (I flunked it). I couldn't keep the thread of logic for what was going on long enough to work the problems. They would not let me postpone the exam.
Thankfully, I had already interviewed for a job starting later that month. I drove what was left of the car out to the west side of ND later that month to go to work in the oil patch, and wore out a 3,000 mile old set of tires (to the cords) in under 400 miles, just to get there  By then, the fog had lifted, for the most part, and I got on okay, but for a guy who could memorize the drawing numbers for three or four different pieces to go pull the blueprints, (working summers as a structural steel fitter), I still can't recall things like I used to. I have to work at it a little bit.

I'll find that episode and watch it. I watched the show for a while, but haven't seen it since a childhood (and lifelong) friend who was in the teams died.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 11:04:27 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 02:29:35 pm »
I think they just called it a "concussion".

@Smokin Joe

I don't think there was any such critter as a "Traumatic Brain Injury" official diagnosis back then. I THINK the "concussion" diagnosis is the "ticket to ride" that brings in the TBI official decision.

6 of 1,a half dozen of another. A rude shock to the brain is a rude shock to the brain,and AFAIK,it has never been called a "good thing". Like you,my memory went all to hell,and I would sometimes get epic headaches that just can't be described. Nor should they. Some things really are too painful to describe and inflict on others. Looking back,I suspect those headaches were the reason I stayed drunk for several years. Ironically enough,I don't think I actually got drunk even once in VN. I MAY have gotten a buzz a time or two,but never drunk. I knew when to stop.

Besides,back then I only got occasional headaches. They didn't move in to live until a few years later.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 06:46:06 pm »
@EdJames

I remembered you posting it the other day.  First I looked in Entertainment since it was about a TV show, then I checked Military News and saw it.

(BTW, I did watch it On Demand, I agree with your comments.)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2019, 08:00:12 pm »
I remembered you posting it the other day.  First I looked in Entertainment since it was about a TV show, then I checked Military News and saw it.

(BTW, I did watch it On Demand, I agree with your comments.)

@EdJames

Thanks!

I am going to be 17 kinds of upset if that episode doesn't win awards.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2019, 09:34:48 pm »
@Smokin Joe

I don't think there was any such critter as a "Traumatic Brain Injury" official diagnosis back then. I THINK the "concussion" diagnosis is the "ticket to ride" that brings in the TBI official decision.

6 of 1,a half dozen of another. A rude shock to the brain is a rude shock to the brain,and AFAIK,it has never been called a "good thing". Like you,my memory went all to hell,and I would sometimes get epic headaches that just can't be described. Nor should they. Some things really are too painful to describe and inflict on others. Looking back,I suspect those headaches were the reason I stayed drunk for several years. Ironically enough,I don't think I actually got drunk even once in VN. I MAY have gotten a buzz a time or two,but never drunk. I knew when to stop.

Besides,back then I only got occasional headaches. They didn't move in to live until a few years later.
For a while there, I was very functional, moving up in the company fast, and doing well, but days off were often awash, and with the layoffs of the early 80s, some poor money management, there were a few years where odd jobs, beer, and the "kings deer" were my mainstay. It reached the point where I had to quit, some 30 years ago, I'd had enough and haven't had a drink since. No BS, I just don't, and seldom so much as an aspirin. I don't get headaches often (unless my neck needs a chiropractor working on it--instant relief from real killer pain), but when I do, it is almost always my neck that is the problem, not my head (with that side impact and a couple other incidents, no surprise there).  Sounds like we took different trains to the same station. Check out chiropractors, if there is a decent one (Palmer Method) around and your neck hasn't been operated on,   you might be able to get some relief from the headaches. Ask around first and find out what their patients say. Usually, they can fix you up in a couple of visits, not some ongoing thing. I swear by them for getting rid of sciatia resulting from a couple different injuries I got in the patch. MDs just wanted to give me pills....The chiropractor fixed the problem.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2019, 10:26:10 pm »
Check out chiropractors, if there is a decent one (Palmer Method) around and your neck hasn't been operated on,   you might be able to get some relief from the headaches. Ask around first and find out what their patients say. Usually, they can fix you up in a couple of visits, not some ongoing thing. I swear by them for getting rid of sciatia resulting from a couple different injuries I got in the patch. MDs just wanted to give me pills....The chiropractor fixed the problem.

@Smokin Joe

No luck there. The closest one is a 50 mile round trip,and he is a hack.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2019, 10:36:35 pm »
@EdJames

Thanks!

I am going to be 17 kinds of upset if that episode doesn't win awards.

:thumbsup:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 07:15:39 am »
@Smokin Joe

No luck there. The closest one is a 50 mile round trip,and he is a hack.
Rats. My ex had serious migraines, real 'hide me in a dark room, and I'll kill you if you make a sound" headaches no pills would touch, and went to my favorite guy in Williston, ND and one pop (actually a few as he aligned her cervical vertebrae), no more headache. I had a similar experience. It's a shame you don't have a decent one near you so you could at least give it a try.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2019, 03:17:12 am »
Rats. My ex had serious migraines, real 'hide me in a dark room, and I'll kill you if you make a sound" headaches no pills would touch, and went to my favorite guy in Williston, ND and one pop (actually a few as he aligned her cervical vertebrae), no more headache. I had a similar experience. It's a shame you don't have a decent one near you so you could at least give it a try.
Almost forty years ago I began experiencing a lot of neck pain.  Usually it would go away, but this was so persistent I sought help.
People in the office said go to a chiropractor. I said no, I'm going to an MD, no phony neck manipulators for me.
The MDs were useless. One neurologist, who was later fired by the hospital for coming in drunk, told me after a cursory exam that I probably had arthritis  and needed a neck operation....which would be very risky.
Feeling pretty glum I finally took my co-workers' advice and saw a chiropractor.
After one visit, bad neck pain completely gone.
For many things you need an MD, but there's a place for chiropractors.