Author Topic: Multiple people gunned down at California synagogue shooting, man detained for questioning (breaking  (Read 3139 times)

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
This is the Army veteran who chased the gunman out of the Poway synagogue
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-san-diego-synagogue-shooting-hero-20190428-story.html

...Whatever it was that moved through him in that moment, it propelled Stewart into the lobby. He saw the young man — who authorities say was 19-year-old John T. Earnest — in a military-style vest wielding a semiautomatic rifle.

“Get down!” Stewart yelled in the loudest tenor he could muster.

The gunman fired two more rounds in response.

“I’m going to kill you,” Stewart boomed. This seemed to rattle Earnest, who began to flee.

From his time as a sergeant in the Army, Stewart knew that the rifle would be useless if he was within five feet of it. So he kept close to the shooter as he chased him into the parking lot.

The shooter got into a Honda sedan. Stewart, seeing the man reach for his weapon, punched the side of the car. The man started the ignition and let go of the rifle.

That’s when Jonathan Morales, an off-duty Border Patrol agent, shot four bullets into the car. As the shooter sped away, Stewart and Morales took down the license plate number....

@thackney

Whatever else can be said for Mr.Stewart,nobody can say he isn't a bold and courageous man!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mountaineer

Combat Vet Who Stopped The Synagogue Shooter: ‘I Scared The Hell Out Of Him’
8:21 PM 04/28/2019 | US
Rachel Stoltzfoos | Staff Reporter

The man who fired a semi-automatic weapon inside the Chabad of Poway synagogue in San Diego on Saturday froze, dropped his gun and sprinted to his car when he saw Oscar Stewart come barreling toward him, yelling so loud the priest at a neighboring church could hear.

“Get down!” Stewart yelled, according to his wife and others who were at the scene. “You m**********r! I’m going to kill you!”

Others who were there later told him it sounded like four or five people were shouting. He thinks maybe an angel was standing behind him and speaking through his voice. When the shooter ran, he immediately gave chase. ...

He may not call himself a hero, but Stewart believes his actions effectively stopped the shooter. He doesn’t think reports of the shooter’s gun jamming as the reason he fled are likely to be true, because he was using a semi-automatic rifle. “Full automatic weapons will jam,” he said. “Semi-automatic weapons do not jam.” He thinks maybe the shooter had emptied his magazine. Whatever the case, the shooter let the slung weapon drop and fled.

“He was in the act of shooting when I saw him,” Stewart said. “When I yelled at him he turned and looked at me, and he like froze. And then the look on his face was one of amazement at first, and then one of fear. He saw me coming, and I was ready to do whatever I had to do to stop him.” ...
More at Daily Caller

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

...“Semi-automatic weapons do not jam.” ...

BS.  Jams from failed complete ejection, misaligned loading, etc do occur.  They occur often enough that many training classes teach how to quickly clear most jams.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
BS.  Jams from failed complete ejection, misaligned loading, etc do occur.  They occur often enough that many training classes teach how to quickly clear most jams.
That assumes this guy actually took classes. He was 19. Judging by his manifesto it would not surprise me if he had no idea how to operate the device he was using. Shoot first, ask questions later.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline thackney

That assumes this guy actually took classes. He was 19. Judging by his manifesto it would not surprise me if he had no idea how to operate the device he was using. Shoot first, ask questions later.

I'm not talking about the shooter.  The quote about not jamming was from the hero.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I'm not talking about the shooter.  The quote about not jamming was from the hero.
I wondered about this comment "Stewart knew that the rifle would be useless if he was within five feet of it." Still, the guys got a hell of a pair to charge the shooter like he did!

Offline thackney

I wondered about this comment "Stewart knew that the rifle would be useless if he was within five feet of it." Still, the guys got a hell of a pair to charge the shooter like he did!

Since he was a Sargent in the army, I'm guessing bad reporting.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Another one of these 8chan q anon freaks.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
More at Daily Caller

He doesn’t think reports of the shooter’s gun jamming as the reason he fled are likely to be true, because he was using a semi-automatic rifle. “Full automatic weapons will jam,” he said. “Semi-automatic weapons do not jam.”

UHHHHHHHH.........,

OK,I said he was brave. I didn't say he was smart.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Since he was a Sargent in the army, I'm guessing bad reporting.

@thackney

Just don't bet money on it. Most of the Sergeants in the army are barely aware of which end the bullet comes out of.  Probably 90 percent are support troops who never see their rifles but once a year.

I  have know of junior NCO's in security company that amongst other duties provided camp security for our camp in VN that didn't know how to load or fire the belt fed 30 and 50 caliber machine guns used at strong points. They didn't know because they had never been in the infantry,and were too embarrassed to admit it to ask for help.

Had a Staff Sergeant E-6 transfer to my FOB from the 173rd Airborne Brigade in VN. Since he was SSG,came from the 173rd ( a VERY professional hard core unit),and was wearing a CIB,we all assumed he knew the basics,so didn't worry about him. On our first operation in Laos I told him to set up a claymore mine with a good field of fire when we sit up our RON at the end of the first day,and he said "ok". Imagine my surprise when I came by to check on him before dark to make sure his position was secure,and caught him looking through the sighting glass on the claymore like it was a rifle scope,and holding the detonator in his hand. The sighting glass is so you can look through it when you emplace it,and see what ground it will over. It has a backblast that goes back up to 15 yards that will take your head off. It starts out as wide as the mine,and tapers off to a point. There is no way he would have survived the blast if he had squeezed the detonator.

BTW,a Claymore mine has a blasting cap to ignite a KILO of plastic explosive that then sends 700 steel ball out in a 45 degree arc. I can't remember know if the effective killing range is 30 feet or 45 feet,but it is not something to play with.

Come to find out he had been a cook in the 173rd,and had a buddy in personnel add his name to a list of CIB awardees. He had never fired a shot in anger in his life,or been shot at in his life. That was the first and the last mission he went on. His orders transferring him back to the regular army were waiting for him when we got back to the FOB a few days later.

Good thing I caught him before we sent him out on to lead a patrol  of yards. Chances are he would have gotten them all killed. The man honestly had no idea how much danger he had put himself and the rest of us in by pretending to be something he wasn't. There was nothing "special" or exotic about setting up a claymore. It was common knowledge to everyone in the infantry.

Crazy,but true.  I don't understand it. There is no shame in admitting you don't know something. Nobody knows everything,and we all have to learn.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 11:16:49 pm by sneakypete »