Author Topic: NY Times prints Netanyahu-Trump cartoon with ‘anti-Semitic tropes,’ apologizes  (Read 518 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
NY Times prints Netanyahu-Trump cartoon with ‘anti-Semitic tropes,’ apologizes
Image included in paper’s international edition shows premier as a dog guiding a skullcap-wearing US president; paper says it was ‘offensive, an error of judgment’
By TOI staff   Today,

The New York Times on Saturday apologized for publishing a caricature in its international edition it said “included anti-Semitic tropes” and called its use an “error of judgment.”

The image included in Thursday’s international print edition showed Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as a guide dog wearing a Star of David on his collar, and leading a blind US President Donald Trump, seen wearing a skullcap.

Read more at: https://www.timesofisrael.com/ny-times-apologizes-for-printing-netanyahu-cartoon-with-anti-semitic-tropes/?utm_source=ny-times-apologizes-for-printing-netanyahu-cartoon-with-anti-semitic-tropes&utm_medium=desktop-browser&utm_campaign=desktop-notifications

Cartoon is at link. I don't think anyone needs to repost the cartoon here. It is an interesting story that NYT would do this and it sounds like it is only in its "international edition".

"Tropes"? Sheesh, that looks like something you'd see in the Arab media and other places like that....

Offline goatprairie

Maybe the Slimes is borrowing ideas from Der Sturmer.     Julius Streicher's cousin could be helping them. Or are some of Osama Bin Ladin's pals involved?  Are hook-nosed caricatures next?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline TomSea

Here's the cartoon.  Won't post the actual photo out of respect for @TomSea sensitivities.

https://3h7pwd17k2h42n17eg2j7vdq-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/netancartoon.jpg

The cartoon is in the original article and, it may not be about "sensitivities", it could be about respecting others. It's a judgement call for all. Perhaps, we don't need that kind of thing splashed around this website.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

The proper response to the NYT...   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The cartoon is in the original article and, it may not be about "sensitivities", it could be about respecting others. It's a judgement call for all. Perhaps, we don't need that kind of thing splashed around this website.

Yeah .. it's the same "judgment call" that told us actual photos of the horror on 911 should not be shown.  I didn't agree with that judgment call @TomSea and I don't agree with yours.   All your judgment does is protect the New York Times --- at least the Times of Israel wasn't afraid of the truth.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 03:46:45 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline TomSea

Post whatever one wants within reason.  Not my forum, I don't make the rules.

I do note, OANN also, is refusing to show that cartoon. The image is at the link. That's enough. I feel vindicated.