No, shake it up, Nikki Haley
6 (26.1%)
Beg Cruz to come aboard as VP
3 (13%)
The more things change, The more they stay the same
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: June 09, 2019, 10:51:33 pm

Author Topic: Should Trump stay with Pence for 2020?  (Read 4413 times)

Offline corbe

Should Trump stay with Pence for 2020?
« on: April 26, 2019, 05:51:14 pm »
Trump's best 2020 move: Dump Mike Pence for Nikki Haley   (CNN)

By Arick Wierson

2 hrs ago

Editor’s note: The opinions in this article are the author’s, as published by our content partner, and do not necessarily represent the views of MSN or Microsoft.

President Trump's recent stonewalling tactics, aimed at blocking Congress' ability to follow up on the allegations detailed in the Mueller report, are rooted in the belief that he can run out the clock on the Democrats in the House through the 2020 election. Nonetheless, it's a strategy fraught with peril, and if the President begins to see a significant erosion in his approval numbers from Americans tired of the endless standoff, he might need to reach deep into his bag of tricks to reset the national narrative.

There is one move that could prove to be a complete game changer: naming Nikki Haley, the former UN ambassador and South Carolina governor, as his running mate in 2020. News of a Trump-Haley ticket would be a master stroke that would upend the 2020 election and could send Democrats into a complete tailspin.

Bucking tradition for the heck of it is a hallmark of this presidency, but if Trump were to part ways with Mike Pence it would be nothing more than raw political calculus: in one move, Trump would make history by selecting a woman of color with a deep political resumé and foreign policy gravitas -- making it the most diverse ticket in the history of the GOP.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/trumps-best-2020-move-dump-mike-pence-for-nikki-haley/ar-BBWjDpO?ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline dfwgator

Re: Should Trump stay with Pence for 2020?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 05:56:25 pm »
Although I'd hate to lose him as Governor,  Greg Abbott would be a great choice.

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 06:06:23 pm »
   Pence was just another Trump compromise with the GOP that suxed, on the scale of Reince and Spicer. 
   He has no backbone and should suffer the same fate as the aforementioned.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 06:25:19 pm »
Why change? Unless she'll bring a tangible improvement to the administration that will benefit all Americans, bringing Nikki Haley on is just playing the Rats ID politics game.

Besides, this kind of political stuff is how we wound up with the Bushes. Haley will become the front running republican in 2024 and we just don't know enough about her.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 06:32:43 pm »
For the second term a President needs to look to the future. He needs a Veep who can get elected on his own to ensure continuity. "Groom" him, as it were. Bush 43 really erred in this regard.

I don't think Pence can get elected.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 07:10:02 pm »
Stay with Pence? It depends. How badly does Trump want to leave behind the hugest legacy in the history of presidential legacies?  happy77  Only Trump knows for sure.

By the way, this means @Cyber Liberty that I agree with you. Pence would be chewed up by any godless, soulless democrat he would face. This is not a knock on Pence personally, I think he’s a fine man. Just not skilled enough to succeed in the muck and mire of the swamp. I hope I made this clear.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 07:19:17 pm »
For the second term a President needs to look to the future. He needs a Veep who can get elected on his own to ensure continuity. "Groom" him, as it were. Bush 43 really erred in this regard.

I don't think Pence can get elected.

That's why Abbott would be my choice.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 08:20:54 pm »
Stay with Pence? It depends. How badly does Trump want to leave behind the hugest legacy in the history of presidential legacies?  happy77  Only Trump knows for sure.

By the way, this means @Cyber Liberty that I agree with you. Pence would be chewed up by any godless, soulless democrat he would face. This is not a knock on Pence personally, I think he’s a fine man. Just not skilled enough to succeed in the muck and mire of the swamp. I hope I made this clear.

The lingering question:  Can Donald Trump win without Pence?  Does he need a SoCon on the ticket? :pondering:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 08:50:50 pm »
Trump Jr.  Trump über alles.  Trump für immer.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 08:52:06 pm »
Trump Jr.  Trump über alles.  Trump für immer.

Trump Trump Trump....the boys are marching...

Offline berdie

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 08:52:18 pm »
I think he does.  But that's just me.  I didn't vote for Trump because of Pence. I voted for McCain because of Sarah (she has bombed imho) Won't happen again.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 07:40:09 pm »
He needs someone he can hand the mantle off to in regards to handling the media.  Maybe Alex Jones.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:23:01 pm by ABX »

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 11:48:18 am »
I see nothing wrong with Pence.  If Trump were to pick another VP, it should be someone from a state that he is marginal in come 2020.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 01:08:52 pm »
The better question should be - should Pence stay with Trump?

Someone other than William Weld needs to challenge Trump for the nomination.   Pence won't be the man to do it,  but someone of stature should,  maybe even one the generals who stepped up to serve this Administration and was forced out by the madness of King George.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 03:39:44 pm »
Jazzhead...one of the generals?  Really?  Which one?  None of them have the bravado to take on Trump.  Get real.

I would welcome a challenge of Trump on the Republican side, but no one comes to mind that is worth a good BM.  Romney is preparing for a run.  But he would go no where against Trump.

There is always the possibility Trump pulls an LBJ and announces he does not plan to run, but that is not likely!

Weld is a Clinton operative.  A joke on his best day.  There is no one in the Republican Party that stands a chance against Trump.  No one.

And the only person that has a remote chance of defeating Trump is HR Clinton.  I believe she will run and win the Democommie nomination again, only to be defeated worse than last time.

Americans do not like losers, and particularly sore losers, and Clinton is very much that!  Trump defeats her with 40 Electoral College states to his credit in 2020.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 05:20:49 pm »
When was the last time a VP pick actually helped a Presidential candidate get elected or re-elected since that  SOB from TX in 1960*? 

* and even that is debatable since the corrupt dem machine in Chicago probable assure JFK's win.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline thackney

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 05:31:27 pm »
When was the last time a VP pick actually helped a Presidential candidate get elected or re-elected since that  SOB from TX in 1960*? 

* and even that is debatable since the corrupt dem machine in Chicago probable assure JFK's win.

I think Biden helped Obama get more Blue-collar votes and Cheney helped Bush get more as well.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 05:33:41 pm »
I vote yes. Trump/Pence won once, so I don't see the advantage of changing a winning team up.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2019, 06:53:11 pm »
Pence is a fine man,  and a good Vice President.   He should stay right where he is.

The winning ticket is Haley/Pence.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 06:55:27 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2019, 06:58:41 pm »
Pence is a fine man,  and a good Vice President.   He stay right where he is.

:bigsilly:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2019, 07:57:26 pm »
Pence is a fine man,  and a good Vice President.   He should stay right where he is.

While I somewhat disagree about that, I'm glad you're off the Kasich thing.  This Haley/Pence is a much better idea.  :beer:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2019, 08:10:07 pm »
Ass backwards!
Should Pence stay w/Trump!!!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2019, 08:36:36 pm »
While I somewhat disagree about that, I'm glad you're off the Kasich thing.  This Haley/Pence is a much better idea.  :beer:

Haley will no doubt be formidable...in maybe eight or ten years. She needs a bit more seasoning however before seeking national office. I do like her persona for the party and republican women in general: strong and right of center. Though just how far right remains an unanswered question for me.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2019, 09:39:31 pm »
Haley will no doubt be formidable...in maybe eight or ten years. She needs a bit more seasoning however before seeking national office. I do like her persona for the party and republican women in general: strong and right of center. Though just how far right remains an unanswered question for me.

I'm looking to 2024. We don't want a repeat of 2008 where there was no ready replacement as Veep.  Pence can't win, as Cheney could not. He should have retired as VP in 2004.
I will NOT comply.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2019, 10:12:43 pm »

@aligncare

I think she has disinguished herself as being very pro-life so that largely cinches the deal with me. Of course, there exist other issues like gun control and so on to look at for her stances on the issues.