Author Topic: Celtics legend John Havlicek, a mainstay of '60s and '70s champions, dies at 79  (Read 698 times)

Offline mrclose

I actually watched basketball back then! :shrug:

BOSTON -- “Havlicek stole the ball! Havlicek stole the ball! It’s all over!”

One of the most iconic moments in Boston Celtics lore, no one will ever forget the call in the 1965 NBA Eastern Conference Finals made by announcer Johnny Most or the player who made a play for the ages, John Havlicek.

Havlicek, the Celtics’ all-time leading scorer (26,395 points) and one of the most decorated players to ever don a Celtics uniform, passed away on Thursday. He was 79.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-legend-john-havlicek-mainstay-60s-and-70s-champions-dies-79
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Back when I watched, too!

The two-handed 'Set Shot' and the two-handed underhand foul shot.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
That's back when I watched it too.  I could relate to the players and fans back then.

RIP Hondo.

Offline goatprairie

Back when I watched, too!

The two-handed 'Set Shot' and the two-handed underhand foul shot.   :laugh:
Even when Havlicek was a rookie in the early sixties, the two hand set shot and underhand foul shots were pretty much gone. There were a few players who started in the fifties like Larry Costello and Richie Guerin who shot them, but younger players like Havlicek grew up shooting jump shots.
 My old man had a pretty good two-handed set shot.
Rick Barry still shot fouls underhanded, with great success, into the seventies, but by then virtually every other player shot fouls overhand.
Curiously enough, while the two hand set shot has disappeared, a number of NBA players shoot flat-footed, one handed set shots from distance.  A lot of big guys who don't have to worry about big guys blocking their shots shoot them. But some smaller players shoot them as well.