Author Topic: Leader of self-styled U.S. citizen border patrol attacked in jail  (Read 892 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-militia-idUSKCN1S01L3
Larry Hopkins, 69, whose group of self-styled citizen border cops drew condemnation from civil liberties advocates, suffered broken ribs in the beating by fellow inmates on Tuesday at the Dona Ana County Detention Center in Las Cruces, New Mexico, according to his attorney, Kelly O’Connell.

more at link

womp womp

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Leader of self-styled U.S. citizen border patrol attacked in jail
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 05:48:51 am »
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-militia-idUSKCN1S01L3
more at link

womp womp

@Once-Ler

If the cops put him in a open holding area where the other prisoners could get to him in New Mexico,they should be arrested for conspiracy to commit murder.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 09:08:55 am »
@Once-Ler

If the cops put him in a open holding area where the other prisoners could get to him in New Mexico,they should be arrested for conspiracy to commit murder.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 09:54:12 am »

@Once-Ler

Yeah,I didn't expect you to agree with this. You would probably have no objection to a La Raza or Black Panther member being put in a open pen with a bunch of Kluxxers or Nazi's,either?

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 11:32:13 pm »
@Once-Ler

Yeah,I didn't expect you to agree with this. You would probably have no objection to a La Raza or Black Panther member being put in a open pen with a bunch of Kluxxers or Nazi's,either?
@sneakypete
I understand your point, and in a perfect world I would agree that mixing uncontrollable sociopaths with the people they hate is not ideal, but it's already reality in our overstuffed prisons and big cities.  Should we build separate prisons for them all, because they can't get along?  I have a bigger objection about non-violent criminals being placed with violent criminals, but there are only so many low security facilities available.  I don't see a viable solution to segregate them if they are all serving multiple year sentences.  I think President Trump should be commended for proposing prison reform.  It could be an issue that brings both parties together.  It could pass with a strong negotiator leading the charge.  I doubt Trump has the ability to create a deal, but if he could it would go a long way towards me reconsidering his value as President.

I'd be interested to read your response.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 11:55:44 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 12:06:55 am »
@sneakypete
I understand your point, and in a perfect world I would agree that mixing uncontrollable sociopaths with the people they hate is not ideal,

I have no problem with that at all as long as it is violent sociopath against violent sociopath. All these people do is take,they contribute nothing,so why not let them have fun killing each other off in a  secure area where no one innocent is harmed?

Hell,it would be the equivalent of them doing public service work.

I agree there should be a certain percentage saved for research and medical experiments,but not a majority of them by any means.

Should we build separate prisons for them all, because they can't get along?

The idea is to teach them to get along with people they don't like or agree with. You can teach,or at least condition,sane people to do this because it is clearly in their own best interest.

I have a bigger objection about non-violent criminals being placed with violent criminals, but there are only so many low security facilities available.

I have the same objection,and I also object to the assumption it's not in society's best interest to segregate the violent from the non-violent.

I don't see a viable solution to segregate them if they are all serving multiple year sentences.

I don't see the problem. Some people in everyone's life graduate and move on,and others don't. Real life.

However,with all that being said,it MUST be impressed upon them that this doesn't mean they are going to continue to break laws and be protected. At some people many would have to be declared career criminals,and then it will be a case of "root hog,or die" for them. If they aren't interested in preserving their own lives,neither am I.

I think President Trump should be commended for proposing prison reform.

So do I.

It could be an issue that brings both parties together.

Nope. Not going to happen. No campaign contributions to be made from it,no political points scored,no profit for anyone.

Just not going to happen.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 12:09:42 am »
Nobody deserves violence in prison.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 12:11:02 am »
Nobody deserves violence in prison.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Are you kidding? There are people in prison who should be set on fire to watch them run.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 12:12:22 am »
Was this guy found guilty of the crimes charged?  I don't see how he got thrown into a lock-up like that when he hadn't even been triaged.

Let's convict before throwing people to the wolves, shall we?  Somebody at that jail should be in deep kimche over this.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 12:43:39 am »
The idea is to teach them to get along with people they don't like or agree with. You can teach,or at least condition,sane people to do this because it is clearly in their own best interest.
@sneakypete

I don't know that we are that far from agreement on most your points.

Thank you for the thoughtful and reasoned reply.

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 12:48:38 am »
Was this guy found guilty of the crimes charged?  I don't see how he got thrown into a lock-up like that when he hadn't even been triaged.

Let's convict before throwing people to the wolves, shall we?  Somebody at that jail should be in deep kimche over this.
@Cyber Liberty

From the article:

“They put him in a pod cell with a group of people, and they had just got done watching the article about the ACLU writing about him being racist, and as a result of that he was attacked,” Benvie said in a video posted online.

Hopkins was being held without bail pending a detention hearing set for Monday in Albuquerque.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: