Author Topic: The Masters golf tournament: so raaaaacist  (Read 633 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Masters golf tournament: so raaaaacist
« on: April 24, 2019, 05:05:24 pm »
The Masters golf tournament: so raaaaacist

Jazz ShawPosted at 12:31 pm on April 24, 2019

This story deals with a curious interview that I happened to catch on CNN yesterday morning that sounded… odd. Aside from sending out a tweet about it at the time, I didn’t pursue it further because I wasn’t entirely clear what was going on. They had an ESPN sports reporter named L.Z. Granderson on their panel talking about issues of racism and (I presume) sports, particularly as such things apply to the recent flap over iconic singer Kate Smith. Nothing too unusual there, but when Granderson brought up the subject of Tiger Woods winning the Masters, he offered a strange take on it that caught the attention of many more people. Hey… you know why they call it “the Masters,” right? (Washington Times, emphasis added)

The Masters Tournament is called that as a reference to slavery and Jim Crow, a prominent ESPN sportswriter implied Tuesday.

L.Z. Granderson, in the context of a CNN “New Day” discussion of sports teams dropping Kate Smith’s iconic recording of “God Bless America” because the 1930s star recorded racist material, dropped a serious of rhetorical questions about the name of golf’s most famous tournament and the iconic course in Augusta, Georgia…

“We celebrated Tiger Woods recently returning back to glory winning at the Masters. We didn’t spend very much time asking ourselves, ‘Why was this tournament called the Masters in Augusta, Georgia, founded by two men that we know, in fact, were racist, who are quoted saying racist things?’ Ever wonder why it was called the Masters?” he said, without answering the idea he was planting in his listeners’ heads.

video at link
https://hotair.com/archives/2019/04/24/masters-golf-tournament-raaaaacist/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline goatprairie

Re: The Masters golf tournament: so raaaaacist
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 10:45:24 pm »
One big reason I rarely watch ESPN sports opinion shows anymore. I was afraid the incredible stupidity might be transmitted through my tv screen.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 02:23:38 am »
So does he follow that idiocy to Masters of all trades and skills?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 06:51:05 pm »
So does he follow that idiocy to Masters of all trades and skills?
Silly me. That's what I thought it was about: those who are masters at the game of golf.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org