General Category > Military/Defense News

Most Army Squads Falling Short on Infantry Skills, Reports Find

(1/2) > >>

rangerrebew:
Most Army Squads Falling Short on Infantry Skills, Reports Find

22 Apr 2019
Military.com | By Matthew Cox

The U.S. Army says it will meet its readiness goals by 2022, but young sergeants in most infantry and close-combat units don't know how to maneuver their squads or do basic land navigation, Military.com has learned.

For example, sergeants in the majority of the Army's active brigade combat teams (BCTs) don't know the importance of gaining a foothold when leading squads on room-clearing operations, according to a series of report cards from the service's Asymmetric Warfare Group, known as the AWG.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/04/22/most-army-squads-falling-short-infantry-skills-reports-find.html

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: rangerrebew on April 24, 2019, 09:45:39 am ---Most Army Squads Falling Short on Infantry Skills, Reports Find

22 Apr 2019
Military.com | By Matthew Cox

The U.S. Army says it will meet its readiness goals by 2022, but young sergeants in most infantry and close-combat units don't know how to maneuver their squads or do basic land navigation, Military.com has learned.

For example, sergeants in the majority of the Army's active brigade combat teams (BCTs) don't know the importance of gaining a foothold when leading squads on room-clearing operations, according to a series of report cards from the service's Asymmetric Warfare Group, known as the AWG.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/04/22/most-army-squads-falling-short-infantry-skills-reports-find.html

--- End quote ---

No surprise. If you want to "grow leaders" you have to raise recruiting standards to a  higher level. If all you want is warm bodies to use as cannon fodder in some Shitstainistan,recruit from the ghettos.

Fishrrman:
"maneuver their squads or do basic land navigation..."

"Basic land navigation"?
That means using your cell phone GPS, right...?

/s

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: Fishrrman on April 25, 2019, 01:22:01 am ---"maneuver their squads or do basic land navigation..."

"Basic land navigation"?
That means using your cell phone GPS, right...?

/s

--- End quote ---

@Fishrrman

It sounds like such a simple thing,but it screws up more SF trainees than any other part of the program.

Of course trying to do it while exhausted,hungry,and sleep-deprived is no help at all,either.

truth_seeker:
"Basic land navigation," regardless of the technlogy used, is vital.

I think civilian hikers and campers call it "Orienteering." among possible names.
"Mapreading."

My grandfather was a Surveyor.  By the time I reaching Scouting,my parents and grandparents had taught me about maps etc.

Some folks have aptitude n this area, and some are unlikely to grasp it very well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version