Author Topic: Texas Legislature – More than 60 Marijuana Bills Filed!  (Read 539 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Marijuana Policy.org

The 86th Texas Legislature is in session. State lawmakers have introduced a record number of marijuana related bills!

Links to all bills at site: http://www.texasmarijuanapolicy.org/2019legislation/

Online dfwgator

Re: Texas Legislature – More than 60 Marijuana Bills Filed!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 07:40:44 pm »
Did Willie Nelson get elected to a position?

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 07:54:40 pm »
We were discussing this aspect. William Barr has announced he wants to get out of the Marijuana enforcement business. If the Feds legalize marijuana, will the states where it is currently illegal individually have to vote to make it illegal?
Countdown to Resignation

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 08:14:06 pm »
We were discussing this aspect. William Barr has announced he wants to get out of the Marijuana enforcement business. If the Feds legalize marijuana, will the states where it is currently illegal individually have to vote to make it illegal?

Yes,
A similar issue has been arising with Hemp based food/supplement products. The federal government legalized hemp based products back in a farm bill in December, allowing for growing, production, and manufacture- basically they completely removed it from all drug schedule lists and reclassified it as a food product.

However, many States still have hemp listed as the same schedule as cannabis even though they aren't the same plant (cousins) hemp has a tiny fraction of THC (pretty much almost undetectable, something along the lines of .003% versus cannabis is around 10% or more), very antiquated laws in some states were vague and said 'any trace of THC' makes it the same classification.

This is causing a crap load of issues in Texas right now because Hemp-based CBD sellers in some cities (Tyler, North Richland Hills) are being targeted by police even though it is federally legal, it is questionable under Texas law. However, most of the cities in the State are following federal law and allowing sales (hell, our mayor's wife sells it here).

The Texas Legislature is working now to try to clarify this and remove hemp completely to stop the ambiguity. Unfortunately, there are still some drug-warrior Ned Flanders types trying to block it acting like hemp is heroin.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 08:18:18 pm »
If it is already illegal under a state's law, then if the feds make it legal under federal law, it should still be illegal under the existing state laws.

When the feds legalized alcohol, did any state then legislate to make it illegal?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 08:19:05 pm »
Good read.  Our vet prescribed a cannaboid oil for our old pup's arthritis.  I asked him about the legality, and he stated that if I was busted, the cop would be laughed out of the LEO profession. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 08:47:15 pm »
I was wondering how many states have laws against marijuana seeing as how there is a federal law against it. It seems redundant.
I doubt anyone is blocking hemp for drug reasons. They are probably holding it hostage to get something they want.
Countdown to Resignation