Author Topic: Jeopardy winner is likely shaking up the game show's budget  (Read 1045 times)

Offline corbe

Jeopardy winner is likely shaking up the game show's budget

Jessica Bursztynsky

19 hrs ago

Holzhauer, who has been setting records over the past 12 episodes, set a single-show record of $131,127 in winnings, according to a report from The Atlantic. So far, he's won around $850,000 and is on track to reaching $2.5 million — the past record set by Ken Jennings — in half the time. Jennings scored his prize after 74 consecutive wins, and his best one-day tally was $75,000.

Since the average single-show earnings come in around $20,000, some wondered how much Holzhauer's earnings would take out of the show's budget.

"Typically, for a long-running show the prize budget is determined by way of averages of what has been won in the past," Bob Boden, a former head of programming at Game Show Network, told The Atlantic. "James's performance, I'm sure, is causing grief for an accountant somewhere."

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/jeopardy-winner-is-likely-shaking-up-the-game-shows-budget/ar-BBWblln?ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Jeopardy winner is likely shaking up the game show's budget
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 04:07:19 pm »
I'm sure they won't have a problem. He is getting enough attention, they will have sponsorship offers (likely a part of his attendance contract) that will cover the winnings.  A big win like this turns into big attention and viewership.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 04:09:14 pm »
What are the ratings? People like Holzhauer are probably drawing millions more viewers.
I'm curious to know if future contestants will adopt his strategy.  He goes against the wishes of the people who run the show by going for the big numbers first hoping to get the daily doubles.
Then he frequently switches categories trying to keep his opponents off balance.
But critics of Holzhauer's strategy forget a few  things...(1) the guy knows everything and rarely makes a mistake and (2) nothing is stopping his opponents from employing the same strategy.
Also, Holzhauer is extremely quick on the button. Most Jeopardy contestants have a wide range of knowledge. But some are faster buzzing in and answering the majority of the questions....er.....answers.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 04:19:43 pm »
Alex Trebec's stage 4 cancer diagnosis is bound to be causing some concern for the future of the show too.

One of my (few) favorite prime-time shows.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 06:13:15 pm »
I recall there was a day when cheating by giving answers to contestants was the big scandal.  Could Welshing be the next?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 08:51:03 pm »
I recall there was a day when cheating by giving answers to contestants was the big scandal.  Could Welshing be the next?
Oddly enough Charles Van Doren just died two weeks ago.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 09:36:34 pm »
Oddly enough Charles Van Doren just died two weeks ago.

I saw that in the Obituary thread.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline berdie

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 10:47:01 pm »
This guy is scary smart. I play along and can't ring in before him...or beat his answers. And I am pretty good.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 11:08:18 pm »
This guy is scary smart. I play along and can't ring in before him...or beat his answers. And I am pretty good.

Yes, he is.  I can come up with the answers, given enough time, but he is so fast.  I wouldn't be any kind of competition.

Offline berdie

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 04:00:48 pm »
Yes, he is.  I can come up with the answers, given enough time, but he is so fast.  I wouldn't be any kind of competition.

Nor would I @Sanguine .  There was an article about how Ken Jen is blown away by this guy. He said he probably wouldn't be able to beat him since he is older.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 04:12:45 pm »

Nor would I @Sanguine .  There was an article about how Ken Jen is blown away by this guy. He said he probably wouldn't be able to beat him since he is older.
As long as the subjects don't  include modern pop culture, I'm okay.
I usually draw a blank on modern movies, music, tv shows, fiction, etc. I read a lot of books, but I haven't read any fiction for many decades.
If the subject is from before 1990, I'm fairly good on most things.
 I told my wife my mind is like Chesapeake Bay....many miles wide and an inch deep. Jack of many subjects, master of none.

Offline verga

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 11:56:20 pm »
BKMK
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 12:37:34 pm »
What are the ratings? People like Holzhauer are probably drawing millions more viewers.
I'm curious to know if future contestants will adopt his strategy.  He goes against the wishes of the people who run the show by going for the big numbers first hoping to get the daily doubles.
Then he frequently switches categories trying to keep his opponents off balance.
But critics of Holzhauer's strategy forget a few  things...(1) the guy knows everything and rarely makes a mistake and (2) nothing is stopping his opponents from employing the same strategy.
Also, Holzhauer is extremely quick on the button. Most Jeopardy contestants have a wide range of knowledge. But some are faster buzzing in and answering the majority of the questions....er.....answers.
Up about 40%, though how much of that is Holzhauer and how much is because they know Trebek doesn't have much longer isn't totally clear.
https://buffalonews.com/2019/04/25/what-is-high-jeopardy-ratings-in-wny/
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 01:49:50 pm »
Up about 40%, though how much of that is Holzhauer and how much is because they know Trebek doesn't have much longer isn't totally clear.
https://buffalonews.com/2019/04/25/what-is-high-jeopardy-ratings-in-wny/
Every day my wife presses me to turn on the latest show to see how he did. I assume there are millions more doing the same thing.