Author Topic: 6 dead in Kerrville plane crash, DPS confirms  (Read 734 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
6 dead in Kerrville plane crash, DPS confirms
« on: April 22, 2019, 11:02:16 pm »

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating a fatal plane crash reported Monday morning near Kerrville, according to a Federal Aviation Administration spokesperson.

All six occupants in the plane were killed, said Sgt. Orlando Moreno, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Public Safety.

A twin-engine Beechcraft BE58 crashed around 9 a.m. as it was preparing to land at Kerrville Municipal Airport, the FAA spokesperson said. The crash occurred roughly 6 miles northwest of the airport....

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/NTSB-investigating-fatal-plane-crash-in-Kerrville-13785576.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20%28Premium%29&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

How awful.

I don't know if we have any Kerrverts here, but I think @austingirl and @corbe are pretty close.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: 6 dead in Kerrville plane crash, DPS confirms
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 11:04:58 pm »
I hadn't heard about this one on Sunday:

2 killed in small plane crash in Texas

KINGSLAND, Texas (AP) — Authorities say two people are dead after a small plane crashed in Texas.

The crash happened Sunday afternoon near the air strip at the Shirley Williams Airport in Kingsland, about 50 miles (80 kilometers) northwest of Austin. The Texas Department of Public Safety says two people who were aboard the plane died in the crash.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/texas/article/2-killed-after-small-plane-crashes-in-Texas-13784811.php?ipid=artem

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 11:10:16 pm »
   Kerrville is a beautiful little City.  I've gone to a couple of their annual Music Fests over the years. It's about 80 miles NW of me and the headwaters of the Guadalupe River.
   Prayers for those affected by this tragedy.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 11:26:28 pm »
I live about twenty miles south of Kerrville. Go there 3-4 times a week to swim and shop. I avoided the area today. Sad story.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 11:51:51 pm »
So sad.

My little sister used to work at an air charter company at Hobby Airport. Being in the industry she would hear whenever there was a private aircraft involved in a crash or unpowered descent. She always said if you were in the trade it was only a matter of time when you would come down, hopefully unharmed.

Why Private Planes Are Nearly As Deadly As Cars

https://www.livescience.com/49701-private-planes-safety.html

Raw numbers

National statistics on general aviation accidents are kept by the NTSB and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Since the 1970s, these stats show improvements in safety, including a 75 percent drop in total deaths from general aviation accidents, said Steve Hedges, a spokesman for the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA), a general aviation advocacy group.

But accident rates in general aviation have stayed stubbornly unchanged over the past decade, Weener told Live Science. The fatality rate hovers just over 1 death per every 100,000 hours, according to a 2010 NTSB report. And while accidents and fatalities are down in corporate and business jet flights, the accident rate in personal flights has increased by 20 percent in the past decade, and the fatality rate for personal flights is up 25 percent. ---

--- In raw numbers, of course, the deadliest transportation for Americans is the family car. Each year, more than 30,000 people die in traffic accidents, compared to the 400 or so who perish in general aviation accidents.

Those raw numbers, however, mean little without context — far more people merge onto the highway each day than take off in a Cessna from a runway. That's where the statistics get a little tricky. The NTSB measures accidents per 100,000 flight hours, while automobile accidents are typically measured in accidents per miles traveled.

"It's apples and oranges in many cases," Weener said.

Doing the math

In other words, take these comparisons with a grain of salt: In 2013, traffic accidents killed 32,719 people, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The fatality rate was 1.1 deaths per 100 million vehicle-miles traveled. Assuming an average vehicle speed of 50 miles per hour (a big assumption), the fatality rate for automobiles translates to 1.1 per every 2 million hours.

Taking the preliminary 2013 fatality rate in general aviation of 1.05 fatalities for every 100,000 hours of flight time and scaling it up to 2 million hours gives a comparison rate of 21 general aviation fatalities per every 2 million hours. This suggests that stepping on a private plane is about 19 times more dangerous than getting into the family sedan. [Top 10 Leading Causes of Death]

On the other hand, one might prefer to measure accidents on a per-mile basis, rather than by the amount of time spent in the vehicle. Breaking out the data per mile puts the accident rate of private aviation at one-sixth the accident rate in automobiles, according to the AOPA. Of course, planes cover far more miles per hour than cars, so this information reveals little about per-trip risk.

There is another uncertainty in the data, no matter how you slice it: It's not known just how many miles and hours private planes actually fly. The flight hours used are recorded from Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) surveys, which just a fraction of private pilots take, according to the NTSB. The organization acknowledges that the FAA registry for administering the survey is outdated and spotty. Some experts, including Robert Goyer, a pilot and the editor of Flying Magazine, say the federal numbers are a good estimate. Others disagree.

"Some observers think pilots are flying a lot less," Goyer told Live Science. If those observers are right, the accident rate per hour would be higher than reported.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 12:02:03 am »
So sad.

My little sister used to work at an air charter company at Hobby Airport. Being in the industry she would hear whenever there was a private aircraft involved in a crash or unpowered descent. She always said if you were in the trade it was only a matter of time when you would come down, hopefully unharmed.

Interesting. Particularly since commercial flight is so much safer.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 12:07:40 am »
They are mechanical contrivances.

My bikes have broken down.
My cars and trucks have broken down.
My boats have broken down.

But when they break down, gravity may bring them down to earth, but just not as far as an airplane when it fails.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 12:48:31 am »
So sad.

Guess I was just never going to go up in a plane piloted by a Kennedy.

Now, no private planes for me.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline austingirl

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 12:59:20 am »
The crash today happened west of the airport. Wonder if they overshot or ran out of fuel. No fire at the crash. This area is near Kerrville State Hospital and Peterson Regional Medical.

I've been in small planes and I was scared.

Offline austingirl

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 09:26:02 pm »
Doomed plane fell from sky, unable to keep airspeed, investigator says

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/article/Doomed-flight-fell-from-sky-unable-to-keep-13788728.php

The plane carrying six Houstonians that fell from the sky Monday in Kerrville was under the control of an experienced pilot, and so far no mayday communications have been found from the doomed flight, federal investigators said Tuesday.

The plane, owned and flown by Houston financial adviser Jeffrey Weiss, cruised at 6,000 feet after takeoff in western Houston, before descending to around 2,000 feet on approach to Kerrville, said Mike Folkerts, an investigator with the National Transportation Safety Board. From there, the plane descended quickly, as its air speed dropped, flying about 200 feet off the ground.

“Lower and slower than you would expect,” Folkerts said of the descent.

The plane plunged into a rocky area about 70 miles north of San Antonio, 6 miles from the Kerrville airport, killing Weiss and five passengers. Monday evening, they were identified as Stuart Roben Kensinger, 55; Angela Webb Kensinger, 54; Mark Damien Scioneaux, 58; Scott Reagan Miller, 55; and Marc Tellepsen, 45.

All passengers died on impact, Folkerts said.

More at link.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 11:36:35 pm »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington