Author Topic: West unveils memorial six years after fertilizer plant explosion killed 15  (Read 567 times)

Offline thackney

West unveils memorial six years after fertilizer plant explosion killed 15
https://www.texastribune.org/2019/04/17/west-explosion-memorial/

The memorial is about 100 yards away from where the fertilizer plant once stood and has a reflecting pool surrounded by 15 plaques — one for each person who died.

The Texas town of West is known across the state as a Czech cultural hub. It’s a town famous for its local bakeries, which serve scores of kolaches every day. But six years ago, the tiny town, about 20 miles north of Waco just off Interstate 35, was thrust into the national spotlight when a local fertilizer plant exploded, killing 15 people.

The blast damaged schools, homes and other property, and many wondered if West could ever recover. Then in May 2016, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives ruled the explosion as arson. Although no one has been charged with the crime, the ruling was salt in the wound for many residents.

Last weekend, the town unveiled its Fallen Heroes Memorial honoring those who lost their lives. Despite the persistent pouring rain that forced the celebration inside, families, the local Boy Scouts troop and members of the volunteer fire department all sat together in the new West High School auditorium to honor the lives lost and remember the day that changed their community forever. The high school was one of many buildings damaged by the explosion and was rebuilt in 2015.

“Today, we gather to honor 12 brave first responders who gave their lives in service to all of us, and also our three beloved citizens who lost their lives on that tragic day,” said McLennan County Justice of the Peace David Pareya, who ran the ceremony....

https://twitter.com/NFFF_News/status/1118484698819383299
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I'll have to go pay my respects.

Offline dfwgator

I'll have to go pay my respects.

I've stopped at the "Czech Stop"  many times for Kolaches.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I've stopped at the "Czech Stop"  many times for Kolaches.

Yes, they are a must-stop when we go to Dallas.

Offline dfwgator

Yes, they are a must-stop when we go to Dallas.

Although I fear Buc-ee's  is probably taking some business from them.