Author Topic: Trump Sues Democrats For Abuse Of Power  (Read 1122 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Trump Sues Democrats For Abuse Of Power
« on: April 22, 2019, 02:45:54 pm »
Trump Sues Democrats For Abuse Of Power
KAG Daily, Apr 22, 2019, Gary Fenster

The Democratic party with its newfound power in Congress has declared all-out war on President Trump, so says the lawsuit just filed by Trump and his lawyer Jay Sekulow against the Democrats and their attempts at presidential harassment.

Trump just sued the Democrats in a brilliant move to try to keep them in line. Look, this is all political – after Mueller came up empty the Democrats want to damage Trump politically in any way they can.

So Trump is fighting back. Smart! From NBC: 
Lawyers for President Donald Trump and the Trump Organization are suing House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings to block a subpoena for years of financial records from accounting firm Mazars USA.

The lawyers filed the lawsuit Monday in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, saying the subpoena “lacks any legitimate legislative purpose, is an abuse of power, and is just another example of overreach by the president’s political opponents.”

Earlier this month, Cummings, D-Md., issued the subpoena to Mazars regarding Trump’s finances to corroborate the testimony of his former personal lawyer and fixer, Michael Cohen, in February.

“We will not allow congressional presidential harassment to go unanswered,” Jay Sekulow, one of Trump’s personal lawyers, said in a statement.

From Axios:   
President Trump and The Trump Organization filed suit against House Oversight Chairman Elijah Cummings in federal court on Monday in an attempt to block Cummings’ subpoena of Trump’s longtime accountant, Mazars USA LLP.

The big picture: Cummings wrote last week that the subpoena — for all of Trump’s financial records — is a result of testimony from Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen, who claimed that the president “altered the estimated value of his assets and liabilities on financial statements.”

Trump’s suit claims that Cummings and House Oversight are “assuming the powers of the Department of Justice, investigating (dubious and partisan) allegations of illegal conduct by private individuals outside of government” solely to dig up dirt ahead of the 2020 presidential election.

https://kagdaily.com/2019/04/trump-sues-democrats-for-abuse-of-power/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Trump Sues Democrats For Abuse Of Power
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 03:24:11 pm »
It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 03:31:32 pm »
It will be interesting to see where this goes.

I guess this will depend on the Judge and Circuit it comes before.  Are Republicans allowed to Judge-shop as Democrats do?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 03:41:00 pm »
Trump Files Suit to Stop Dems From Getting his Financial Info

2019-04-22 Source: TTN by: TTN Staff

President Trump has filed suit against the Democrats, particularly Rep. Elijah Cummings, to block a subpoena asking for information on his finances and tax returns.

According to CNBC:

President Donald Trump and his business filed suit against Democratic House Oversight Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings on Monday to block a subpoena sent last week seeking information about the president’s finances.

In the complaint filed in Washington, D.C., federal court Monday morning, Trump said that Democrats have “declared all-out political war” against him.

Read more at http://trumptrainnews.com/articles/trump-files-suit-to-stop-dems-from-getting-his-financial-info#7WydxEexsAvqWWdV.99

Offline MOD4

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 03:49:56 pm »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 05:33:50 pm »
This lawsuit is almost certainly loser for him, especially since he has a revocable - not blind - trust.  The lawsuit mentions potential legislation. All they need to show is they will review the information for possible legislation requiring presidential candidates to have transparency in their filings and assets, to prevent conflicts of interest. Of course, this would open the door for a future Republican led House to review high ranking Democrat tax returns, so they can review possible legislation for leadership members to release their returns.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 05:47:17 pm »
This lawsuit is almost certainly loser for him, especially since he has a revocable - not blind - trust.  The lawsuit mentions potential legislation. All they need to show is they will review the information for possible legislation requiring presidential candidates to have transparency in their filings and assets, to prevent conflicts of interest. Of course, this would open the door for a future Republican led House to review high ranking Democrat tax returns, so they can review possible legislation for leadership members to release their returns.

I'm with you.  I don't know what such a suit would be based on.  Seems desperate.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 07:00:34 pm »
I'm with you.  I don't know what such a suit would be based on.  Seems desperate.

Probably a stalling tactic. Not a bad plan, if you want to keep them at bay, for a while and make them work for it. When they do, you have the optics and narrative to say they were rabid to keep the investigations going. Redmeat for the base.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 07:45:50 pm »
I'm guessing SCOTUS won't touch this due to separation of powers, but that reaffirmation alone might just well give Trump the ammo to tell Nadler et al to buzz off.
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 07:50:37 pm »
I'm guessing SCOTUS won't touch this due to separation of powers, but that reaffirmation alone might just well give Trump the ammo to tell Nadler et al to buzz off.

That would depend on what the last decision below SCOTUS does?
I will NOT comply.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 12:50:27 am »
Donald Trump Files for Temporary Restraining Order Against Chairman Elijah Cummings…
Breitbart/The Last Refuge, Apr 22, 2019

Donald Trump, not President Trump, representing his affiliated private business interests, has filed for a temporary restraining order (full pdf below) against House Oversight Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings and his committee representatives and officers.

You might remember when Speaker Nancy Pelosi changed the House Rules earlier this year. Part of the rule changes were to modify the responsibilities of the House Government Affairs Oversight Committee.  Speaker Pelosi removed all other oversight responsibility and shifted the committee to a singular oversight role focused only on the White House.

Chairman Cummings is demanding the personal financial records of Donald Trump and all of his business interests around the Trump organization.  The demand includes all personal and private financial records including tax filings from individuals, officers and corporate entities within the Trump organization.  As a private, non-public corporation, this demand for financial records would encompass the entire Trump family.

In essence, Chairman Cummings is weaponizing his government office to target Donald Trump and all members of the Trump family.  This is not dissimilar to what President Obama and Elijah Cummings did when they weaponized the IRS to target their political opponents.  See: national heroine/patriot Catherine Engelbrecht.

More:  https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2019/04/22/donald-trump-files-for-temporary-restraining-order-against-chairman-elijah-cummings/

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 02:02:10 am »
That would depend on what the last decision below SCOTUS does?

I'm wondering if they'll take it straight out.
The Republic is lost.