Author Topic: Texas cancer center ousts 3 over Chinese data theft concerns  (Read 490 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas cancer center ousts 3 over Chinese data theft concerns
« on: April 21, 2019, 12:57:09 pm »
ABC News 4/20/2019

A prominent cancer center in Houston has ousted three of five scientists whom federal authorities identified as being involved in Chinese efforts to steal American research.

Peter Pisters, the president of MD Anderson Cancer Center, told the Houston Chronicle that the National Institutes of Health wrote to the cancer center last year detailing conflicts of interest and unreported foreign income by five faculty members, and gave it 30 days to respond.

"As stewards of taxpayer dollars invested in biomedical research, we have an obligation to follow up," Pisters said. MD Anderson received 148 million in NIH grants last year.

More: https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/texas-cancer-center-ousts-chinese-data-theft-concerns-62526664

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Texas cancer center ousts 3 over Chinese data theft concerns
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 01:06:55 pm »
ABC News 4/20/2019

A prominent cancer center in Houston has ousted three of five scientists whom federal authorities identified as being involved in Chinese efforts to steal American research.

Peter Pisters, the president of MD Anderson Cancer Center, told the Houston Chronicle that the National Institutes of Health wrote to the cancer center last year detailing conflicts of interest and unreported foreign income by five faculty members, and gave it 30 days to respond.

"As stewards of taxpayer dollars invested in biomedical research, we have an obligation to follow up," Pisters said. MD Anderson received 148 million in NIH grants last year.

More: https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/texas-cancer-center-ousts-chinese-data-theft-concerns-62526664

@Elderberry

Back when I worked for the post office I noticed a couple of Chinese going to college where sending textbooks and thick packages of what I assumed were research papers back to China.

I knew at the time that the People Liberation Army had a program where they would send intellectually-gifted PLA members to the US as college students to steal our technology because there had even been news stories about this. I reported it to my local postmaster and suggested he have someone in intelligence review what was being sent,and possibly use what they might learn to put these "students" on trial for espionage. I was informed that to do this would be illegal,so there was nothing he could do.

I wish now I had directly contacted someone in the DIA or the CIA,or even both. At the time I was still naive enough to believe post masters were patriotic,and not people who put their career ahead of country.

This was during the reign of Brer Bush,the minor. Which leads me to believe the Bush Crime Family had been paid off to insure these Chinese "students" got unrestricted access to our universities and technical schools. Probably as a part of the deal that allowed the Bush Crime Family to open the Chinese-American Chamber of Commerce in China,and dip their beaks into every deal made between China and the US. 
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!