Author Topic: Survivors Remember Deadly 1947 Texas City Industrial Blast  (Read 644 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Survivors Remember Deadly 1947 Texas City Industrial Blast
« on: April 21, 2019, 12:43:10 pm »
NBCDFW By Matt DeGrood 4/21/2019

This week marks 72 years since thousands of lives were changed forever in the United States' deadliest industrial accident, that day still seems fresh -- remembered in vivid and awful detail -- by those who lived through it.

"I was walking to school that day -- we lived at the corner of Dock Road and Third Street," said Ernestine Garza Moreno, who was 17 at the time of the disaster. "When I felt the first blast, by the grace of God, I cried out `save me' and threw a coat over me. When I finally got up, everyone around was dead except for me."

The Galveston County Daily News reports Moreno was one of about 100 survivors of the 1947 Texas City disaster who gathered Saturday to remember those who died that day.

The Texas City disaster, which began on April 16, 1947, was the deadliest industrial accident in U.S. history and one of the largest non-nuclear explosions. It originated with a midmorning fire onboard the French-registered vessel SS Grandcamp docked in the port carrying cargo of about 2,200 tons of ammonium nitrate when it detonated.

Shortly after, the High Flyer, another ship, exploded. The blasts were felt in Galveston. Houses were shaken off their foundations.

The initial blast and subsequent fires and explosions in other ships and nearby oil-storage facilities killed at least 581 people, including all but one member of the Texas City Fire Department.

More: https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Survivors-Remember-Deadly-1947-Texas-City-Industrial-Blast-508827261.html

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Survivors Remember Deadly 1947 Texas City Industrial Blast
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 12:46:24 pm »

Propeller Blown a Mile From Explosion

Anchor Blown Over a Mile From Explosion

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 01:53:52 pm »
@Elderberry

It is this explosion with hundreds killed that brought about a very loud emergency sound when there was a fire or explosion, all Texas City could hear it and knew to get out the area immediately.  Texas City sits by the ship channel.  Your gasoline is made in Texas City along with chemical companies there make many plastics in your house.  When one plant has a fire or explosion, others may catch fire/explode.

It was that sound that went off when I was working at College of the Mainland, Texas City, and no one said anything; we quickly grabbed our important items and took off for our car.  Others from Texas City were also on the road to get out of there.  That one was on a Friday and it was safe to go back on the following Monday.

Why would anyone live in Texas City so close to those plants beside the ship channel?  Employees of those plants live there because it is close and worth living there for less than normal house prices, and the jobs that pay more than jobs away from the ship channel.  They are counting  on the emergency sound to save them if a disaster starts. 

No way would I live there not knowing what chemical was/might be/is already in the air that day.  That emergency sound means something has already happened.  Since it has already happened, now the public is being told it happened.  Not going to live there.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 02:13:04 pm »
@Victoria33

So I guess you wouldn't want to live in a lot of other cities close to me, like Freeport, La Porte, Baytown, Galena Park, Pasadena, Channelview, and Deer Park.

By all means, Stay Safe!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 02:14:03 pm by Elderberry »

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 03:41:23 pm »
@Victoria33   So I guess you wouldn't want to live in a lot of other cities close to me, like Freeport, La Porte, Baytown, Galena Park, Pasadena, Channelview, and Deer Park.  By all means, Stay Safe!
@Elderberry

I lived closer to Texas City than you did/are.  I was in League City, just up 45 from Texas City and during that time, I was IN Texas City every day at the college.  If I had been looking for a home, and place did not matter, I would not choose Texas City nor Channelview or any you listed.  Yes, as you said, "Stay Safe!".  Hurricanes also came up 45 from Galveston through League City and the places you mentioned, so going further north to live had/has advantages.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 04:09:14 pm »
@Victoria33

I would not care to go so far up north that I leave hurricane alley and enter tornado alley. And I love the beach and don't much care for the cold. I've always said I get a chill when it drops under 80.

And my wife worked in Texas City for quite a few years. And you missed out if you never frequented the Ninth Street Meat Market in Texas City.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 04:14:30 pm by Elderberry »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 08:13:11 pm »
I recall 60 years ago living near Texas City of crumpled tanks still present.  My folks told me that a big explosion caused this.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington