Author Topic: Easter bombings of Sri Lanka Churches and Hotels (Breaking News) - Updates-  (Read 3012 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Bomb blasts in Sri Lanka today: 156 killed, including 35 foreigners in Sri Lanka bomb blasts- Times of India
AFP | Updated: Apr 21, 2019, 4:16 IST

COLOMBO: A string of blasts ripped through high-end hotels and churches holding Easter services in Sri Lanka on Sunday, killing at least 156 people, including 35 foreigners.

Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe condemned the attacks as "cowardly" and said the government was working to "contain the situation".

Images circulating on social media and local news stations showed extensive damage at one of three churches targeted in the near simultaneous blasts on Sunday morning.

Much of the church roof was blown out in the explosion, with roof tiles and splintered wood littering the floor and pools of blood in between wounded worshippers.

Read more at: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/south-asia/bombs-kill-138-in-easter-day-attacks-on-sri-lankan-churches-hotels/articleshow/68973807.cms

Deepti Sachdeva, journalist is tweeting 25 dead.
https://twitter.com/DeeptiSachdeva_
(A good source for updates)

Blasts reported at churches in Sri Lanka

Explosions have been reported at two churches in Sri Lanka as Christians celebrate Easter.

There are also reports of an explosion at at least one hotel.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48001720

Sri Lanka is mainly a Buddhist nation, some Hindus, the Tamils, whatever they are.. they probably have a number of Muslims as well. So, obviously, the question is, who did this?  I will look to see if there is any additional news on this.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 02:18:17 pm by TomSea »

Offline dfwgator

Somebody did something.

Offline TomSea

SRI LANKA ATTACKS:
- 200 dead
- 525 injured
- Eight bomb blasts
- Churches and luxury hotels
- Curfew issued, starts at 6 PM local (currently 2:50 PM)
- Americans among those killed
2:22 AM - 21 Apr 2019

https://twitter.com/BreakingNLive/status/1119894153914146818

Unfortunately, we can almost predict how this will go. Initial blasts, report, then first report of casualties, 20-25, suffice it to say, 200 now. I didn't think it would hit this high, I was thinking 80-100.

It sure looks like ISIS.

Sri Lanka on a map, South of India, just in case someone doesn't know.

I'm going off the top of my head but I think they area  largely Buddhist country, some Hindus, surely they have some Muslims. This looks like an Islamic terrorist act. It certainly appears to be a well-coordinated attack.

In the past, it sounds like they have had civil war there, the Tamils... I would think this has nothing to do with that. I look at the map, a fairly small island.  It's hard to judge the sizes of countries really.

Checking some stats,

Over 20,000,000 people,  So, for an island, a big population I'd say.

As a comparison,  square miles.

Sri Lanka, 25,332 sq. miles
Pennsylvania 46,055 sq miles

So, PA. is almost 2 times as big.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 10:33:25 am by TomSea »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Oh my just woke up and saw news alerts for this on my phone. Speechless, and beyond sad. Those poor people and their families. Prayers up for them and the first responders.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
I looked up Sri Lanka because I have a very old globe that’s been in the family for eons and it’s listing it as Ceylon. (Yep it’s old!)

From Wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lanka

Wikipedia says most of the people there are  Buddhist. 70% Then 12% Hindu.
9% Islam 7% Christianity

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Why guess when you have the internet?

Religion in Sri Lanka (2011)[1]
  Buddhism (state religion) (70.2%)
  Hinduism (12.6%)
  Islam (9.7%)
  Christianity (7.4%)
  Other/None (0.1%
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Sri_Lanka

More Muslims than Christians.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 12:20:26 pm by Freya »

Online mountaineer

Multiple churches and hotels hit.
Multiple explosions have hit churches and hotels in Sri Lanka, killing at least 158 people as worshippers attended Easter services, police announced on Sunday.

An eighth explosion was reported in Colombo, police said, the latest in a string of deadly blasts in and around the Sri Lankan capital.

In just one church, St. Sebastian's in Katuwapitiya, north of the capital, more than 50 people were killed, a police official told Reuters, with pictures showing bodies on the ground, blood on the pews and a destroyed roof.

Local media said 25 people were also killed in an attack on a church in Batticaloa in Eastern Province, where more than 300 injured people were rushed to a local hospital.

Police sources said several foreigners were among the dead. The three hotels where the blasts took place are in Colombo and are frequented by foreign tourists.

Local TV showed damage at the Cinnamon Grand, Shangri-La and Kingsbury hotels. The Shangri-La's second-floor restaurant was gutted in the blast, with the ceiling and windows blown out. ...
France24

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

BBC reported just a few minutes ago:
At least 207 people have been killed and 400 hurt in explosions at churches and hotels in Sri Lanka, police say.

At least eight blasts were reported. Three churches in Negombo, Batticaloa and Colombo's Kochchikade district were targeted during Easter services.

The Shangri-La, Kingsbury, Cinnamon Grand and a fourth hotel, all in Colombo, were also hit. ...
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48001720

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Wouldn’t seem to be carry over from the Kandy riots, last year. That was a conflict between Buddhist and Islamic sects.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

The Death Toll is now at 207; just imagine, a popular movie right now is the "Hotel Mumbai" movie. 174 people died in that and that was a real big story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_2008_Mumbai_attacks

If one goes to youtube and types "scenes Hotel Mumbai", a lot of the movie is there to watch. I'm just saying that, as to not be in poor taste. I've got to think, that is a lot like what a real terrorist attack is like if one doesn't want to go to the theater to see it.

As to the culprits, we will see. But hitting the big hotels showed they probably targeted the West besides Christians.

I'm surprised there appear to have been few safe guards against this act, little security.

Sounds like they are saying suicide bombs used, if so... definitely Jihadists I would think.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 02:16:21 pm by TomSea »

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

There were no immediate claims of responsibility for the blasts, but documents seen by AFP show that Sri Lanka's police chief Pujuth Jayasundara issued an intelligence alert to top officers 10 days ago, warning that suicide bombers planned to hit 'prominent churches'.

'A foreign intelligence agency has reported that the NTJ (National Thowheeth Jama'ath) is planning to carry out suicide attacks targeting prominent churches as well as the Indian high commission in Colombo,' the alert said.

The NTJ is a radical Muslim group in Sri Lanka that was linked last year to the vandalisation of Buddhist statues.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6944119/Hundreds-hurt-blasts-hit-Sri-Lanka-churches-hotels.html

Very detailed article. Lots of pictures. Just a horrible story.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Pompeo: 'Several US citizens' killed in Sri Lanka attacks

"The United States offers our deepest condolences to the families and friends of those killed and wishes a quick recovery to all who were injured. While many details of the attacks are still emerging, we can confirm that several U.S. citizens were among those killed. The U.S. Embassy is working tirelessly to provide all possible assistance to the American citizens affected by the attacks and their families," Pompeo said.

https://thehill.com/policy/international/439916-pompeo-several-us-citizens-killed-in-sri-lanka-attacks
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

Educating Liberals
‏ @Education4Libs
3h3 hours ago

49 Muslims were killed in New Zealand & it made international news headlines for weeks.

Yet 200+ Christians were murdered this morning on Easter Sunday & the Fake News Media will hardly mention it.

Unbelievable.
549 replies 6,814 retweets 10,995 likes

https://twitter.com/Education4Libs/status/1119989833240154112

I might have seen someone say similar first but ain't it the truth. This New Zealand thing was the biggest thing on the planet, while this tragedy in Sri Lanka?  And that truly is sad...

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It sure looks like ISIS.
Multiple simultaneous mass casualty attacks is more of an al-Qaeda strategy than ISIS. Not all Islamic terrorist groups operate the same way.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

For some reason, we're not hearing much about this attack today in Munich:
Croatian Mass in Munich Disrupted by Mentally Ill Person Shouting "Allahu Akbar"
By HINA, 21 Apr 2019, 17:06 PM

ZAGREB, April 21, 2019 - The person of African descent who disrupted Mass in St Peter's Church in the Croatian Catholic parish in Munich on Saturday evening by shouting "Allahu Akbar" and throwing stones, is mentally ill and not connected with terrorism, the Croatian Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs said on Sunday.

The man was shouting and throwing stones at the congregation and around the church, and the people fled in panic. Twenty-five Croatian nationals were slightly injured in the confusion, the ministry told Hina, adding that police said that the man did not use firecrackers as some media reported.

Croatian media at home and abroad said that it was a middle-aged man who was shouting "Allahu Akbar", which led many of the believers to think that it was a terrorist attack. ... [sounds like a reasonable conclusion to me]

... [but wait!] The Croatian ministry quoted the Munich police as saying that the incident had nothing to do with terrorism and that it was caused by a mentally ill person, who has been hospitalised after being arrested.  ...
Total Croatian News
48m48 minutes ago

additional info from a witness: he was already yelling at the congregation from the outside of the church, one attendee yelled at him "be quiet!" in German, and he said "What do you mean quiet, you will see..." , He then came in and...
 yelled he is a Muslim, then mentioned "Allah Akbar", threw rocks at people. He was quickly surrounded, they held him down and then the priest came over and told them to stop beating him.

also, the witness (the witness was attending the mass) said the attacker most definitely did not seem mentally unstable.

alsooo, he said he is a "mudžahedin" so not muslim but a jihadist.

i'm translating these things from a Croatian source if anyone is wondering.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 07:20:40 pm by mountaineer »

Offline TomSea

For some reason, we're not hearing much about this attack today in Munich:Total Croatian News

Sotiri Dimpinoudis ❁‏
‏ @sotiridi

#Update: Pictures of the St.Paul Church in #Munich in #Germany, attacked with fireworks inside during Easter night service, were 24 people got injured in a stampede. And witnesses on the scene said that the attacker yelled "Allahu Akbar" after the fireworks.

This must be the culprit:

https://twitter.com/sotiridi/status/1119970580508356609

Offline verga

BKMK
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline TomSea

Obianuju Ekeocha
‏Verified account @obianuju

Obianuju Ekeocha Retweeted Hillary Clinton

By “Easter worshippers” she means Christians😏

Hillary Clinton
Verified account @HillaryClinton
On this holy weekend for many faiths, we must stand united against hatred and violence. I'm praying for everyone affected by today's horrific attacks on Easter worshippers and travelers in Sri Lanka.

3:08 PM - 21 Apr 2019

https://twitter.com/obianuju/status/1120086979553763329

:pondering:

Also, "Holy Weekend for many faiths"...  *****rollingeyes*****  I mean, would it be more than 2 faiths and they can not be named?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 11:41:23 pm by TomSea »

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
If the terrorists and Islamic apologists follow the Hamas/PLO playbook, they will explain that they only did this in response to being "oppressed" by the Christians there.

Islamic terrorists love to kill, anybody, including other Muslims. It does not really matter to them. However, killing Christian Infidels in Church during the Easter Holiday must give them a particularly sweet taste.

"OPPRESSION!!" It's not our fault. We were only responding to being 'oppressed'. Yeah sure.

The basis of Islam is to purify the planet of non-believers. Once they do that, they will divide up into their various sects and start killing each other. There is no end to Islamic killing ever. This attack shows that Islam murders for the sake of Death and no other reason. There was no 'goal' to this. There was nothing accomplished in this. It was just pure Islamic violence and murder for its own sake. They just wanted to kill somebody and the innocent unarmed Christians offered a tempting target.

If there were no Christians in Sri Lanka, the Islamists would have just killed some other group with whom they disagree. To the Islamists, it doesn't matter very much whom they are killing, as long as they are killing someone/anyone. They even kill their own families with so called "honor killings" and kill themselves with suicide murders.

To Islam, killing for the sake of killing is the most important goal. And their own family, neighbors, friends, other Muslims, and even their own life, is not out of bounds.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 04:26:46 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mountaineer

Sri Lanka attack death toll rises to 290
By Euan McKirdy, Sheena McKenzie, Caitlin Hu, Lauren Said-Moorhouse and Harmeet Kaur, CNN
Updated 4 min ago9:27 a.m. ET, April 22, 2019
Headline only.

Online mountaineer

Sri Lanka: Police find 87 detonators at Colombo’s main bus station
Apr 22, 2019 6:27 am By Robert Spencer
Jihad Watch

Apparently more jihad carnage was in the offing, and even more still could be coming.

“87 detonators found at the Fort bus station,” by Lahiru Fernando, News 1st, April 22, 2019:

COLOMBO (News 1st): Police HQ has issued a press release announcing that Police STF Officers of the Pettah police station have discovered 87 detonators at the Fort Bus Station.

The officers discovered 12 detonators around 1 pm today (April 22) on the bus station floor.

Police found another 75 detonators when searching a garbage area in the same location. All detonators have been taken into Police custody and no arrests have been made.

Pettah police are conducting further investigations.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

https://twitter.com/obianuju/status/1120086979553763329

:pondering:

Also, "Holy Weekend for many faiths"...  *****rollingeyes*****  I mean, would it be more than 2 faiths and they can not be named?

I don't know anyone who worships Easter. Obama sent out a tweet using the same words.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online mountaineer

All of the bigwig dems used the same terminology. Quelle coinkydink.