Author Topic: Jesus is Not the Joker (Mary Magdalene movie review)  (Read 578 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Jesus is Not the Joker (Mary Magdalene movie review)
« on: April 20, 2019, 11:48:20 pm »
Kyle Smith
National Review
April 20, 2019

Mary Magdalene suffers from a miscast Joaquin Phoenix, drab visuals, and a muddled message.

Actors love to think they can play anything, but the job of any half-decent filmmaker is to tell them when they’re not right for a part. If the Rock wants to play Kurt Cobain, try to talk him out of it. Adam Sandler as King Lear is not a great match. And then there’s Joaquin Phoenix. He’s playing Jesus Christ in the new film Mary Magdalene.

In certain situations, Phoenix is a capable actor. I believe he would excel as a meth head, or as a self-hating DMV clerk (possibly with a meth problem). He may make a superb Joker. But Joaquin Phoenix as the Prince of Peace? Here’s a fact the makers of Mary Magdalene seem unaware of: Jesus Christ attracted people to himself. He caused them to love him, listen to him, want to follow wherever he led. One glance at Joaquin Phoenix being morose and anguished and weirdly sinister and the people of Judea would not have said, “Tell us more, teacher.” They would have dialed IX–I–I.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 12:09:27 am by Machiavelli »