Author Topic: How does a Central American migrant caravan form?  (Read 241 times)

rangerrebew

How does a Central American migrant caravan form?
« on: April 20, 2019, 11:54:10 am »
How does a Central American migrant caravan form?

Maria Verza and Marcos Aleman, Associated Press Updated 11:30 pm CDT, Thursday, April 18, 2019

SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador (AP) — "When does the next caravan leave?" ''Can I go? I'm from Guatemala." ''What papers do I need for my kids?"

The questions pile up on the phones of hundreds of Central Americans, all with the same goal: Get as many details as possible before leaving their country.

Costly phone calls with relatives and friends in the United States to work out the route or find the best smuggler are a thing of the past for many Central Americans. Now would-be migrants create chat groups and organize using social media to leave in caravans.

"The social networks have had an empowering role in this new way of migrating," said Abbdel Camargo, an anthropologist at the College of the Southern Border in Mexico. "They organize themselves en masse in their home countries, formed by entire families, and the networks serve them as a mechanism for safety and communication throughout the journey."

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/texas/article/How-does-a-Central-American-migrant-caravan-form-13779745.php

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: How does a Central American migrant caravan form?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 01:10:27 pm »
Yeah, social networks, that's it.