Author Topic: State defends South Dakota pipeline protest legislation  (Read 822 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
State defends South Dakota pipeline protest legislation
« on: April 19, 2019, 10:19:08 pm »
WacoTrib By BLAKE NICHOLSON 4/19/2019

South Dakota's governor and attorney general are asking a federal judge to throw out a lawsuit challenging a new law that aims to prevent disruptive demonstrations against the Keystone XL pipeline if it's built.

The law allows officials to pursue criminal or civil penalties from demonstrators who engage in "riot boosting," which is defined in part as encouraging violence during a riot. The American Civil Liberties Union and American Indian tribes say the law will stifle free speech, but the state disputes that argument.

"Defendants deny that any objectively reasonable fear of prosecution for protected speech would arise under (the law)," Deputy Attorney General Richard Williams said in a Tuesday filing.

He also said the state is immune from such lawsuits.

More: https://www.wacotrib.com/news/ap_nation/state-defends-south-dakota-pipeline-protest-legislation/article_6e196aeb-6b63-5102-87dd-708f20c248f4.html

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: State defends South Dakota pipeline protest legislation
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 12:08:27 am »
States are sovereign on matters like this.

It is correct in what it is doing.

I hope other states join in support by filing briefs backing South Dakota.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: State defends South Dakota pipeline protest legislation
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 08:50:24 am »
States are sovereign on matters like this.

It is correct in what it is doing.

I hope other states join in support by filing briefs backing South Dakota.
They saw what the "water protector" farce cost North Dakota (not to mention the subsequent cleanup) and landowners in the area, and want to nip this crap in the bud.

Good for South Dakota!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis