Author Topic: On the Yankees purging Kate Smith  (Read 2799 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
On the Yankees purging Kate Smith
« on: April 19, 2019, 09:44:56 pm »
For recording a 1931 song that actually satirises racism, Kate Smith becomes a presumed racist who won't be heard at Yankee Stadium.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/04/19/on-the-yankees-purging-the-singing-statue-of-liberty/

Kate Smith, American icon now accused of
racism, at a CBS microphone with a certain
Yankee (and American) icon . . .

“Kids who grew up to the sound of Kate Smith’s voice,” the television critic Tom Shales once wrote about the Songbird of the South, as she was known, “privately felt that this is what Mom would sound like, if only Mom could sing.” Smith’s eternal image otherwise became what radio historian Gerald Nachman called “a sort-of singing Statue of Liberty” thanks to her recording of “God Bless America.”

Today the singing Statue of Liberty faces a purge from Yankee Stadium. The Yankees have decided to put Smith’s “God Bless America” into the proverbial mothballs, thanks to having discovered Smith recorded, in 1931, a song called “That’s Why Darkies Were Born.” The hefty Virginian who was once one of broadcasting’s most formidable presences is now to be sent to the Phantom Zone as a racist.

I didn’t grow up to the sound of Kate Smith’s voice, but I did have a mom who, God rest her soul in peace, liked to sing in the shower now and then and sounded like she was being tickled on the soles of her bare feet. As for Smith being an actual racist, I’ve just discovered (by reading a copy at archive.org) that she didn’t talk about race at all in her long-out-of-print 1960 memoir, Upon My Lips a Song. The mere absence of a topic doesn’t necessarily suggest an author’s view one way or the other on it; you wouldn’t presume that Roger Angell has an opinion one way or the other about Olympic bobsledding even though he's never written about it so far as you know.

But to judge by the hoopla around her until-now-obscure 1931 hit—it wasn’t even close to being one of her signature songs—the answer seems a resounding yes, Smith was indeed a racist. Until you plumb a little further and a) remember that racism wasn’t exactly obscure in the era’s entertainment, unfortunately; but, b) “That’s Why Darkies Were Born” explicitly satirises it. Uh, oh. We know how instantly understood satire often is, don’t we?

A Seattle Post-Intelligencer critic, Eric D. Snider, isolated the point in a 2011 piece reviewing a film that was made and released two years after Smith’s hit, the Marx Brothers’ Duck Soup, which wasn’t exactly a hit in its own right upon release but has long since earned stature as perhaps their absolute best film in many minds. How does Duck Soup connect to “That’s Why Darkies Were Born?” A joke cracked by Groucho Marx, Snider answers:

One of Groucho’s jokes that is obscure (and probably offensive) to modern ears is this: “My father was a little headstrong, my mother was a little armstrong. The Headstrongs married the Armstrongs, and that’s why darkies were born.” Haha– wait, what? The reference is to “That’s Why Darkies Were Born,” a hit song from the 1931 Broadway revue George White’s Scandals that was famously recorded by both Kate Smith and Paul Robeson (whom you’ve heard singing “Old Man River”). The song presented a satirical view of racism, though actual racism wasn’t exactly rare in plays or movies in the 1930s.

Groucho uses the line simply because it was famous at the time and it sort of fit his train of thought.

(Emphasis added.)

Contemporary sensibilities (or lack of sensibility) advises that there were probably those who saw Mr. Snider’s piece and concluded (erroneously) that Groucho Marx was therefore a racist.

Baseball itself observed a strictly enforced colour line in those years, which was broken at last in 1947, though it took long enough for all teams other than the Dodgers and the Indians (with Larry Doby shortly after Jackie Robinson in Brooklyn) to get and act on the message. We live with our pasts to learn from them, but how often and how far in the future should we be punished for them if we’ve long since renounced and transcended them?

Remember last year’s skirmishes about some baseball players having tweeted racist remarks as callow teenagers, views they’d long since rejected and renounced? There were those suggesting they should have been suspended at minimum or banished at maximum for having held those views at all regardless of whether they changed those views.

A decade ago, the Yankees purged the Irish tenor Ronan Tynan from singing “God Bless America” during their post-9/11 seventh inning stretches, as Tynan had been very popular doing, when it came forth that he’d made an anti-Semitic remark involving a prospective renter in his New York apartment building. That was a far more verifiable incident upon which the Yankees acted than the presumed attitude behind recording a satirical song that is now 88 years old.

If the Yankees are ready to expunge Smith’s recording of “God Bless America” from their seventh-inning stretch revelries, they should at least understand that the ancient record that prompts them was indeed intended as satire and taken as such both in its own time and in the eyes and ears of critics writing three quarters of a century later about films that referenced it just as satirically.

And it’s also wise to remind ourselves that you could probably fill Yankee Stadium several thousand times over with those who were likewise so callow in our youths but learned and behaved better when we stopped being callow youths and started becoming  men and women.

Smith recorded another song some say satirised racism, “Pickaninny Heaven,” in the same decade as that in which she cut “That’s Why Darkies Are Born.” She also endorsed an Aunt Jemima-style “mammy” doll at decade’s end. That was the 1930s, for better or worse, and Smith, who died in 1986, had miles to go before her limousine slept. Unless I chance to read a full biography of Smith that reveals otherwise, I don’t think it’s fair of me to suggest that she held racist views herself at any time, never mind in the 1930s, or that if she did then she didn’t change and transcend such earlier views.

And if she did hold racist views once upon a time in her life, should I demand her purging as many demanded the purgings of, say, Josh Hader or Trey Turner after their earlier but long since renounced views were exhumed last year?

The aforementioned Paul Robeson had other issues, of course, including and particularly his Stalinism (it didn’t begin with his public approval of the Soviet Union’s suppression of the 1954 Hungarian revolt), but it’s reasonable to think that the legendary African-American bass/baritone who spoke often and loud against racism wouldn’t have recorded “That’s Why Darkies are Born” if he, too, didn’t think it was satirical.

Without knowing whether Kate Smith was a genuine racist when recording a satire of racism, or began as a racist but transcended it as her life went forward, the Yankees may be jumping the proverbial gun on helping to destroy the reputation of an iconic recording made by—yes, she was, to an awful lot of people in another time and place—an iconic singer.

“The Yankees take social, racial and cultural insensitivities very seriously,” an unidentifed Yankee spokesman was quoted as telling the New York Daily News. “And while no final conclusions have been made, we are erring on the side of sensitivity.” A lot of errors are committed while erring on the side of sensitivity, too.
---------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@AllThatJazzZ
@AmericanaPrime
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@Freya
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@SZonian
@TomSea
@truth_seeker
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 12:59:27 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: On the Yankees purging Kate Smith
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 09:52:00 pm »
A sickness that will be the end of all of us.

Wanting everybody in history to be proper according to your current-day standards.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 10:07:03 pm »

Wanting everybody in history to be proper according to your current-day standards.
Either that or not looking past the surfaces to know what actually might have been, in cases like this. They seem to have jumped all over that song's title and not bothered to investigate what the song was really aimed at doing.

There was racism in much 1930s-1940s entertainment and it should be called out as such, and it has been, numerous times. But not all of it was racist, not all of those who produced or believed it kept those beliefs as their lives went forward, and trying to punish it decades after the fact is sort of like the father who discovers his son stuck fireworks into the toilet several years earlier and fans his behind for it.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 10:16:20 pm »
I wonder if this is motivated by the same lack of knowledge that prompted a nationally known journalist to link the playing of "Edelweiss" at the White House to Trump being a NAZI. 

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 10:41:56 pm »
I wonder if this is motivated by the same lack of knowledge that prompted a nationally known journalist to link the playing of "Edelweiss" at the White House to Trump being a NAZI.
It's probably not to wonder, alas, considering the song was sung in the original stage show and the film by a character who was pronouncedly anti-Nazi.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 03:42:59 am »

Unfortunately, the concept of satire is lost on this generation.  They have been raised on a SJW platform via the "educational" system and are always on the lookout for that "which offends".

The "educational" system has raised an entire generation of SJW's who are intent on rewriting history to match their narrative...sad days indeed.  We're in deep shit.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 03:44:26 am by SZonian »
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 02:28:06 pm »
Unfortunately, the concept of satire is lost on this generation.  They have been raised on a SJW platform via the "educational" system and are always on the lookout for that "which offends".

The "educational" system has raised an entire generation of SJW's who are intent on rewriting history to match their narrative...sad days indeed.  We're in deep shit.

I can't help wondering if Saturday Night Live's heavy-handed satire offends them. I'm sure they strive to be consistent.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 02:28:04 am »
I can't help wondering if Saturday Night Live's heavy-handed satire offends them. I'm sure they strive to be consistent.

They'll be pilloried by Gen Z.  And I for one am looking forward to that.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 02:47:29 am »

Ditto. The worst thing in the world for many millennials it seems is offending someone. As Jordan Peterson has  stated, free speech means offensive speech.
 Any time someone speaks freely, someone else is going to be offended.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 03:11:02 am »
Any time someone speaks freely, someone else is going to be offended.
Unfortunately, that's not a syndrome the millenials invented; they've merely picked it up and run with it a little farther than previous generations of vociferous snowflakes did.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 03:42:18 pm by EasyAce »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 11:40:25 am »
Might be because the only place they know the song from is The Man in the High Castle.

We are bombarded daily by tons of information, but rarely see even the vestiges of knowledge.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 02:48:44 pm »
Unfortunately, that's not a syndrome the millenials invented; they've merely picked it up and run with it a little father than previous generations of vociferous snowflakes did.
Today the national discourse seems to have shifted to the liberal female way of doing things.  The feelings of a small minority must be first in the priority of what we do.
We must not hurt anybody's feelings by telling them  what weird thing they do is wrong. We must accept everything.
We now have some major American cities with their streets and sidewalks littered with human excrement because the feelings of mentally ill people must take priority over the lives of the majority of the citizens who don't defecate in public.
Children who perform poorly in school must now be given prizes for showing up. Children should never be spanked. Many liberals think they should not even be talked to harshly. Their feelings must not be hurt.
 Children should not reprimanded or told their efforts are less than wonderful.
 Mentally ill people of one sex who think they're another sex should be praised and tolerated. And if some male who thinks he's a female wins a race/contest over real females, then the real females will just have to accept it.
Unless the nation goes back to the conservative male way of rational thinking/reality, we are doomed. The female liberal line of thought has to be destroyed if we are to survive as a nation.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 02:55:40 pm by goatprairie »

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 03:47:25 pm »
By the way ... this is one more reason why the new Yankee Stadium is lame.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 06:12:50 pm »
By the way ... this is one more reason why the new Yankee Stadium is lame.

And now they've removed her statue in Filthydelphia.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 06:15:46 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 08:00:45 pm »
Any chance Trump picks this song to replace the Lee Greenwood one at his rallies? Would that be a good or bad idea?

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 07:36:12 pm »
It's awfully ironic that MLB banned Kate Smith for racism in the 1930's when MLB was a racist league in the 1930's.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 07:42:10 pm »
It's awfully ironic that MLB banned Kate Smith for racism in the 1930's when MLB was a racist league in the 1930's.
@Restored
MLB itself hasn't banned her. (Yet.)

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2019, 07:45:14 pm »
MLB itself hasn't banned her. (Yet.)

But the NY Yankees fought integration in  the 1930's and 1940's. There weren't even any Southern MLB teams to use as a reason.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 08:11:13 pm »
But the NY Yankees fought integration in  the 1930's and 1940's. There weren't even any Southern MLB teams to use as a reason.
Just about every major league team held the colour line before 1947. (One exception is believed to have been Bill Veeck, whom legend says sought to buy the Phillies in the early 1940s but was blocked when word went forth that he planned to break the colour line if he bought the team.) Whether all teams chose to hold that line may be another matter, since it was only too well known that then-commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis---while pronouncing publicly that there was no official sanction against baseball's integration---had no intention of allowing any team to break the colour line. (Player contracts then as today had to have the final approval of the commissioner's office.)

Which was something Branch Rickey paid very close attention to, since he'd wanted to break the line for far longer than he finally had the opportunity to do so. Only Landis's death, and the public pronouncement of his successor Happy Chandler that there was no sane or moral reason to keep major league baseball and its affiliate organisations segregated (Chandler said something along the line of if black men could fight and die in World War II they could sure as hell play organised baseball anywhere they damn well pleased), gave Rickey the leeway he needed to start making the plans that resulted in Jackie Robinson. (And Bill Veeck, by then the owner of the Indians, pounced as fast as he could after Robinson's advent, bringing the Indians first Larry Doby and then Satchel Paige.)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 08:12:52 pm by EasyAce »

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 08:54:06 pm »
Just about every major league team held the colour line before 1947. (One exception is believed to have been Bill Veeck, whom legend says sought to buy the Phillies in the early 1940s but was blocked when word went forth that he planned to break the colour line if he bought the team.) Whether all teams chose to hold that line may be another matter, since it was only too well known that then-commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis---while pronouncing publicly that there was no official sanction against baseball's integration---had no intention of allowing any team to break the colour line. (Player contracts then as today had to have the final approval of the commissioner's office.)

Which was something Branch Rickey paid very close attention to, since he'd wanted to break the line for far longer than he finally had the opportunity to do so. Only Landis's death, and the public pronouncement of his successor Happy Chandler that there was no sane or moral reason to keep major league baseball and its affiliate organisations segregated (Chandler said something along the line of if black men could fight and die in World War II they could sure as hell play organised baseball anywhere they damn well pleased), gave Rickey the leeway he needed to start making the plans that resulted in Jackie Robinson. (And Bill Veeck, by then the owner of the Indians, pounced as fast as he could after Robinson's advent, bringing the Indians first Larry Doby and then Satchel Paige.)
I remember reading somewhere about a poll taken around 1938 where when asked about black players in major league ball, 80% of the major league players polled said they had no objections.
I also remember reading that Veeck had wanted to integrate during the early forties when he sought to buy the Phillies
From wikipedia:
"The authors of a controversial article in the 1998 issue of SABR's The National Pastime argued that Veeck invented the story of buying the Phillies and filling their roster with Negro leaguers, claiming Philadelphia's black press made no mention of a prospective sale to Veeck. Subsequently, the article was strongly challenged by historian Jules Tygiel, who refuted it point-by-point in an article in the 2006 issue of SABR's The Baseball Research Journal,[7] and in an appendix, entitled "Did Bill Veeck Lie About His Plan to Purchase the ’43 Phillies?", published in Paul Dickson's biography, Bill Veeck: Baseball's Greatest Maverick.[8] Joseph Thomas Moore wrote in his biography of Larry Doby, "Bill Veeck planned to buy the Philadelphia Phillies with the as yet unannounced intention of breaking that color line."

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2019, 09:05:52 pm »
I remember reading somewhere about a poll taken around 1938 where when asked about black players in major league ball, 80% of the major league players polled said they had no objections.
I also remember reading that Veeck had wanted to integrate during the early forties when he sought to buy the Phillies
From wikipedia:
"The authors of a controversial article in the 1998 issue of SABR's The National Pastime argued that Veeck invented the story of buying the Phillies and filling their roster with Negro leaguers, claiming Philadelphia's black press made no mention of a prospective sale to Veeck. Subsequently, the article was strongly challenged by historian Jules Tygiel, who refuted it point-by-point in an article in the 2006 issue of SABR's The Baseball Research Journal,[7] and in an appendix, entitled "Did Bill Veeck Lie About His Plan to Purchase the ’43 Phillies?", published in Paul Dickson's biography, Bill Veeck: Baseball's Greatest Maverick.[8] Joseph Thomas Moore wrote in his biography of Larry Doby, "Bill Veeck planned to buy the Philadelphia Phillies with the as yet unannounced intention of breaking that color line."
Dickson himself argued in favour of the theory regarding the Phillies, though he never mentioned Abe Saperstein, the Harlem Globetrotters mastermind with whom Veeck is supposed to have thought of the Phillies plan.

And SABR published another take on the matter in the fall 2013 edition of Baseball Research Journal:

Norman L. Macht and Robert D. Warrington, "The Veracity of Veeck."

Their argument: Veeck probably did intend to buy and integrate the Phillies but it wasn't either then-National League president Ford Frick or commissioner Landis who stopped him.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 09:36:38 pm »
Might be because the only place they know the song from is The Man in the High Castle.

We are bombarded daily by tons of information, but rarely see even the vestiges of knowledge.

Bravo!