Author Topic: ‘Borderland Citizenship’ Could Bring Justice to Both Sides of Trump’s Wall  (Read 604 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Nation By Matthew Longo 4/18/2019

Border dwellers in the US and Mexico are subject to two authorities. It’s only fair to give them the cross-border rights and permissions to match.

In American politics, the problem of the border is simple: You’re either for the wall, or you’re against it. For proponents, the wall guarantees security. For opponents, it is costly and ineffective.

What the debate doesn’t have is an alternative. Progressives fail to answer the simple question: if not a wall, then what?

In many ways, the answer is staring us in the face. While toxic, exclusionary rhetoric about bordering fills the airwaves, the situation is very different on the ground. Every day new forms of cross-border accommodation are being forged. Across government agencies (DHS, CBP, Border Patrol) a new way of thinking has taken hold: Instead of walling, to make the border safe, we need a strategy that is collaborative and binational–one that works with our partners in Mexico rather than against them.

This co-bordering approach was first formalized in Border Patrol’s 2012–16 National Strategy, which institutionalized collaboration with Mexico and Canada, and has taken hold ever since, transforming the border into an expanded, binational security zone. As one border official explained to me in an interview, the goal is to create a unified border zone “where we could cross and patrol together.… It would be a dual-sovereign zone, almost like a eurozone.” This new attitude doesn’t downplay the threat at the border; rather, it takes it seriously. Today, states simply cannot, and indeed, do not, secure their borders on their own.

More: https://www.thenation.com/article/border-citizenship-mexico-us-deportation/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
It sounds like coming over the border with a "Border Crossing Card".

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Do you want smuggling? Because that's how you get smuggling.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Absalom

Obviously Bongo Drum never heard of, much less understands, Sovereign Right.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
What?

"Just give 'em all Green Cards and turn them loose."

(This is The Nation, after all.)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Longo been hittin to long on the bongo, Mexicans who have become citizens have dual nationality already, no? And why would we let someone have American Citizenship just because they lived close to our border? How long would they have to live 'near' our border, define 'near', what about Canada? Why even have a border, sovereignty?
<p>
I'm really tired of these clowns that want us to take in anyone and everyone, give them the rights of Citizenship AND we should give them room, board and cash. Of course every other is to have unquestionable,  immutable sovereignty. This is the kind of claptrap that makes me wanna slam all our borders closed and tell all these people to find another teat to suck from, we've just gone bone dry.

Online libertybele

Longo been hittin to long on the bongo, Mexicans who have become citizens have dual nationality already, no? And why would we let someone have American Citizenship just because they lived close to our border? How long would they have to live 'near' our border, define 'near', what about Canada? Why even have a border, sovereignty?
<p>
I'm really tired of these clowns that want us to take in anyone and everyone, give them the rights of Citizenship AND we should give them room, board and cash. Of course every other is to have unquestionable,  immutable sovereignty. This is the kind of claptrap that makes me wanna slam all our borders closed and tell all these people to find another teat to suck from, we've just gone bone dry.

Exactly.  Why even have a border?  This is a really stupid idea. 

Gee ... for some reason I'm still stuck on the idea of letting NO illegals in and turn them right and around and point them in the direction from where they came.

SHUTDOWN THE BORDER!!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Agreed, bele.

It's time to close the border -- for at least 4-6 months.

I DON'T CARE about the implications "for the economy". SHUT IT DOWN.

Then, get troops to the border -- essentially 100% of the regular Army and marines domestically-based (with very few exceptions). Muster them where they're needed.

Then, get emergency border barrier construction underway.
How long did it take the East Germans to seal THEIR border in 1961?